• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

I live right in the thick of it. Horns have been going pretty much non-stop outside.

I can confirm that the trucks (of which it's a small minority) are not from the major carriers. Some have also covered up company names, but that's an even smaller subset. They seem to be independents.

I can also confirm that I have not seen one single non-Caucasian truck/car/pick-up driver. Lots of folks in "camouflage" though. But I'm a sample size of 1 and I refused to go towards Parliament.
I'm really not surprised. I doubt many large fleet operators would be willing to tie up their equipment, let alone be seen connected to it. I suspect most of the trucks are owner-operators, even if the logo bears a corporate name (either theirs or who they have a long-term contract with).

In Ontario (at least southern Ontario) a large portion of the trucking landscape has changed to leased tractor fleets operated by hired 'driver-pool' operators, both either working under long-term contracts or one-off jobs, so you would have to have two entities agree to absorb to this non-revenue use.

So, besides the Nazis, the drunks dancing and pissing on the national war memorial and the grave of the unknown soldier, the ones defacing a statue of Terry Fox, the ones stealing food from a homeless shelter, the ones throwing full beer cans at reporters, the ones setting off fireworks, and the ones sounding horns and whistles all night, the rest are ok?

So, besides the Nazis, the drunks dancing and pissing on the national war memorial and the grave of the unknown soldier, the ones defacing a statue of Terry Fox, the ones stealing food from a homeless shelter, the ones throwing full beer cans at reporters, the ones setting off fireworks, and the ones sounding horns and whistles all night, the rest are ok?
Who has said it’s okay? Anyone?

A single person, even?

But sure, seems reasonable to paint everyone with the same brush.

Let’s see…all politicians are unethical, corrupt, narcissists interested only in self, not the citizens? See how stupid that sounds to say?

Trudeau was a 29 year old drama teacher's assistant when he appeared in blackface. 29 is well beyond high school age and the age that you know this stuff is just wrong. And this case was in 2001. In 2001 the world knew this was wrong. I'm more concerned that no one in that school called him on his racism, even after he was 'resigned'

Well, at least the OPS doesn't seem to think so.

Whoops. Forgot about the ones who used the war memorial as a parking lot.
Those would be the ones that the cops said were cordial and co-operative when the parking faux pas was pointed out to them and they vacated with apologies.

I'm really not surprised. I doubt many large fleet operators would be willing to tie up their equipment, let alone be seen connected to it. I suspect most of the trucks are owner-operators, even if the logo bears a corporate name (either theirs or who they have a long-term contract with).

In Ontario (at least southern Ontario) a large portion of the trucking landscape has changed to leased tractor fleets operated by hired 'driver-pool' operators, both either working under long-term contracts or one-off jobs, so you would have to have two entities agree to absorb to this non-revenue use.
I thought later, that if you are a fleet operator with lawyers and bean-counters, the risk of having an insurance claim challenged if your vehicle was caught up in some kind of civil disobedience might also be a caution.

I heard on the news that OPS has commenced criminal investigations regarding the "desecration" of the Terry Fox statue and War Memorial. From what I have seen I think those are pretty big stretches, but I suppose if they get a compliant they can't dismiss them out-of-hand. How intensive an investigation would remain to be seen.

Edit: I didn't see the post above. Intimidation and damage investigations might have more legs.

I thought later, that if you are a fleet operator with lawyers and bean-counters, the risk of having an insurance claim challenged if your vehicle was caught up in some kind of civil disobedience might also be a caution.

I heard on the news that OPS has commenced criminal investigations regarding the "desecration" of the Terry Fox statue and War Memorial. From what I have seen I think those are pretty big stretches, but I suppose if they get a compliant they can't dismiss them out-of-hand. How intensive an investigation would remain to be seen.

Edit: I didn't see the post above. Intimidation and damage investigations might have more legs.
Yeah, apparently threats were made but I don’t know.

Until evidence surfaces of them doing something, yes. Did you do a head count to determine the fraction of not-ok people relative to the total number of people?

Customary practice in Canada is to give protestors a lot of latitude. No reason to stop now.

Until evidence surfaces of them doing something, yes. Did you do a head count to determine the fraction of not-ok people relative to the total number of people?

Customary practice in Canada is to give protestors a lot of latitude. No reason to stop now.
Or, we apply this new standard of zero tolerance for bad behaviour at protests to all protests in Canada.

How is the traffic on the 417 through Ottawa? Google maps don't show any yellow or red zones.

Or, we apply this new standard of zero tolerance for bad behaviour at protests to all protests in Canada.

Since it seems to be a requirement now of the this or that/black or white trend, I will start by saying I do not personally condone confederate flags, Nazi flags, dancing and peeing on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, etc., but in the spirit of critical though, what is ‘bad (enough) behaviour’ and who is to determine that line?

Back