• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

I thought later, that if you are a fleet operator with lawyers and bean-counters, the risk of having an insurance claim challenged if your vehicle was caught up in some kind of civil disobedience might also be a caution.

No major trucking companies represented.

No major retailers either.

Like Walmart, Coca-Cola, Sobey's, Tim Horton's, McDonald's etc. truck fleets advertising their brand names and logos.

I suspect they will steer clear of this sh*t show.

That kind of corporate advertising they do not need.

Since it seems to be a requirement now of the this or that/black or white trend, I will start by saying I do not personally condone confederate flags, Nazi flags, dancing and peeing on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, etc., but in the spirit of critical though, what is ‘bad (enough) behaviour’ and who is to determine that line?
Well, since I am proposing:

I do not like or condone confederate or Nazi flags at protests, either. I would suggest that also waving Communist or Che Guevara flags demonstrates an equally poor grasp of history. None of the flag waving is criminal- just poor taste.

Defacing or damaging statues and monuments, regardless of origin, is also bad behaviour. And criminal behaviour.

Blocking highways, streets, intersections and rail lines is bad behaviour. Criminal behaviour, because you are depriving your fellow citizens of their mobility rights.

Damaging industrial heavy equipment, pipelines and powerlines is bad behaviour. Criminal.

Protest all you want, but don’t wreck shit.

I do not like or condone confederate or Nazi flags at protests, either. I would suggest that also waving Communist or Che Guevara flags demonstrates an equally poor grasp of history. None of the flag waving is criminal- just poor taste.

Defacing or damaging statues and monuments, regardless of origin, is also bad behaviour. And criminal behaviour.

Blocking highways, streets, intersections and rail lines is bad behaviour. Criminal behaviour, because you are depriving your fellow citizens of their mobility rights.

Damaging industrial heavy equipment, pipelines and powerlines is bad behaviour. Criminal.

It's certainly getting the attention of Canadians.

There seems to be general tolerance for impeding public thoroughfares and private businesses, particularly during labour disputes but also aboriginal blockades, etc. The more temporary it is seems to drive public opinion. I don't know where the courts definitively fall on this but law enforcement's position is typically to keep the peace and not to seen to take sides unless the court intervenes (and even then sometimes . . .)

There seems to be general tolerance for impeding public thoroughfares and private businesses, particularly during labour disputes but also aboriginal blockades, etc. The more temporary it is seems to drive public opinion. I don't know where the courts definitively fall on this but law enforcement's position is typically to keep the peace and not to seen to take sides unless the court intervenes (and even then sometimes . . .)
Yeah, no kidding. The constant blocking of roads and highways is beyond tiresome.

I get why the police are reluctant to clear blockades. They get thrown under the bus pretty much constantly by politicians.

Yeah, no kidding. The constant blocking of roads and highways is beyond tiresome.

I get why the police are reluctant to clear blockades. They get thrown under the bus pretty much constantly by politicians.
It's probably going to depend on how many people are still there tomorrow.

So those protesting the interference of mandates with truckers doing their jobs interfere with truckers doing their job.

Truckers, motorists en route to U.S. stalled by massive blockade in southern Alberta​

Large demonstration continues to block off access to border crossing on Sunday

Truckers and motorists travelling to and from the United States from southern Alberta are caught up in gridlock as an extremely large blockade of vehicles tied to an ongoing nationwide protest continues to jam border traffic.

Vehicles have been blockading the highway from south of Lethbridge, Alta., to the Canada-U.S. border crossing in the village of Coutts since Saturday afternoon.

That means that traffic to and from the border crossing has largely come to a standstill.

It's a frustrating development for professional long-haul trucker David May, who's been driving for 15 years and is fully vaccinated.

May picked up a load of meat in Brooks, Alta., to deliver to Portland, Ore., before running up against the blockade on Saturday. He's been stuck in Milk River, Alta., since then.

"The protest makes no sense at all," he said. "Came back here and parked with a lot of other truckers who are all vaccinated and ready to head south and do our jobs. It's really frustrating."

The protest is being held in support of a convoy of trucks from across the country that has arrived in Ottawa, with a stated goal of demonstrating against a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for truckers issued by the federal government.

Jake Zacharias previously told CBC News that he attended the protest on Saturday to support his friends who are truck drivers. He said many plan to stay near the border "until the mandates are lifted."
. . .

... I get why the police are reluctant to clear blockades. They get thrown under the bus pretty much constantly by politicians.
... not to mention the potential of other sympathy actions happening elsewhere ....

So those protesting the interference of mandates with truckers doing their jobs interfere with truckers doing their job.

Most businesses downtown have shut down to avoid issues. Government won’t be shutting down but the protest is hurting local business. Sympathy will wear even thinner at some point. I’m not sure the goal was to hurt local business but that is what they are doing.

It's a frustrating development for professional long-haul trucker David May, who's been driving for 15 years and is fully vaccinated.
May picked up a load of meat in Brooks, Alta., to deliver to Portland, Ore., before running up against the blockade on Saturday. He's been stuck in Milk River, Alta., since then.
"The protest makes no sense at all," he said. "Came back here and parked with a lot of other truckers who are all vaccinated and ready to head south and do our jobs. It's really frustrating."

Those are the patriots. Keep on truckin!

Attachments

• redballexpress.jpg
    redballexpress.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 4
  • redballexpresss.jpg
    redballexpresss.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 5
The organizers announced they would hold a press conference at 13hrs. I haven’t seen anything but it seems they didn’t invite the media lol.
I'm sure they are having difficulty finding someone literate among their ranks.

They had someone participating in the protest on cbc's cross country checkup this morning and he didn't sound like he could reason his way out of a paper bag.

Back