• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Bracing for impact:

Protests allowed, but not occupations, says solicitor general​

One of the founders of the “freedom convoy” that occupied Ottawa for three weeks has said in a video posted to social media that a convoy of trucks is headed to Victoria.

Bracing for impact:

One of the founders of the “freedom convoy” that occupied Ottawa for three weeks has said in a video posted to social media that a convoy of trucks is headed to Victoria.

Learn from Ottawa's mistake. Barricade streets (to a degree) and/or set up check points. Allow the people in but not the trucks and other crap (like BBQs, etc.)

It’s consistent with what a bunch of them were screaming in my face for a whole weekend too. Turn around and march up to Parliament with them to throw out/arrest the government and PM. So, I find this pretty credible…
Yup, some of the best high-priced hind-sight going. Money well spent on this NSIA, it is! No wonder DND was running so smoothly for the last five years with her at the administrative helm…. 🙄

Yup, some of the best high-priced hind-sight going. Money well spent on this NSIA, it is! No wonder DND was running so smoothly for the last five years with her at the administrative helm…. 🙄
shrug I’m just saying my personal observations, in a very minor way, corroborate the assertion being made. I’ve got no opinion on the person sitting in that particular office or if she’s any good at this role. I have no clue.

shrug I’m just saying my personal observations, in a very minor way, corroborate the assertion being made. I’ve got no opinion on the person sitting in that particular office or if she’s any good at this role. I have no clue.
There are two realities here. One, on the ground that you experienced first-hand, and another, at the the strategic level. Unfortunately, the congruence between these two was never realized.

Both true at the same time. No harm, no foul.

There are two realities here. One, on the ground that you experienced first-hand, and another, at the the strategic level. Unfortunately, the congruence between these two was never realized.
I’m not suggesting that their motivation, desires, and intentions coalesced into anything resembling a coherent strategy that could achieve those things. They executed their tantrum with all the grace and efficacy of a young, screaming child who reaches out to sweep stuff off the shelf of the grocery store while Mom bodily carries him out.

What they wanted or demanded was simply
made very clear at the coal face level, and is congruent with the stated verbal and written intentions of those who took on an ideological… ‘leadership’ role. It stopped being about truckers before they even crossed into Ontario.

I’m not suggesting that their motivation, desires, and intentions coalesced into anything resembling a coherent strategy that could achieve those things. They executed their tantrum with all the grace and efficacy of a young, screaming child who reaches out to sweep stuff off the shelf of the grocery store while Mom bodily carries him out.

made very clear at the coal face level, and is congruent with the stated verbal and written intentions of those who took on an ideological… ‘leadership’ role. It stopped being about truckers before they even crossed into Ontario.
I still go with incoherence.

But, I was impressed with the operations management and, especially, the logistical support of the "occupation" which still seems, too me, to be totally out of synch with the juvenile political aims.

In my almost daily walkabouts ~ which involved very few direct interactions because I keep to myself ~ I found the few people with whom I did speak to be (or to pretend to be) quite unaware of the so-called "MOU" that DID propose overthrowing the government. In one particular case I had to direct one small group to parliament (the West Block) because they thought the Supreme Court was it.

I was perhaps being obtuse in my reply. For that I apologize.

The two realities that I referred to were a) the reality that you encountered, and b) the reality that the governments at various levels encountered.

And one could ascribe your quote "They executed their tantrum with all the grace and efficacy of a young, screaming child" to both the protestors and the gov'ts.

Reactions: QV
I don't see what the issue with them wanting the government overthrown/to step down is. Plenty of protests around the world, especially when people are mistreated or see themselves as mistreated, demand the government to step down or be overthrown. Generally if a protest doesn't want any sort of significant change, they tend not to happen in the first place. The key question here is whether or not they intended to utilize force to make that happen, and considering they just sat there for 3 weeks unarmed, I don't think they met that criteria.

Asking the Governor General and Opposition to take over isn't really trying to overthrow a government through force, though it does demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of our political system.

I don't see what the issue with them wanting the government overthrown/to step down is. Plenty of protests around the world, especially when people are mistreated or see themselves as mistreated, demand the government to step down or be overthrown. Generally if a protest doesn't want any sort of significant change, they tend not to happen in the first place. The key question here is whether or not they intended to utilize force to make that happen, and considering they just sat there for 3 weeks unarmed, I don't think they met that criteria.

Asking the Governor General and Opposition to take over isn't really trying to overthrow a government through force, though it does demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of our political system.

The issue is they wanted a seat at the table of the coalition that would have replaced the government.

At one point the protest (early in the protest), it went from lawful to unlawful. It crossed the line and went from protest to some form of extortion exercise.

It’s consistent with what a bunch of them were screaming in my face for a whole weekend too. Turn around and march up to Parliament with them to throw out/arrest the government and PM.

They executed their tantrum with all the grace and efficacy of a young, screaming child who reaches out to sweep stuff off the shelf of the grocery store while Mom bodily carries him out.

Interesting to read how it was on the front-line.

And now Ontario is dropping most mask mandates on March 21st, and the remainder in April.

Last month the government wouldn't even commit to tabling a plan to end covid restrictions.

Reactions: QV
And now Ontario is dropping most mask mandates on March 21st, and the remainder in April.

Last month the government wouldn't even commit to tabling a plan to end covid restrictions.
Ontario had a plan before all of that with March being the target date to loosen restrictions depending on how and when we weathered Omicron. Some people chose to not listen or not hear.

I would think that the Feds would take their cue from the provinces in that regard. But yes, the Feds didn’t really communicate very well, even when this started.

I would think that the Feds would take their cue from the provinces in that regard.

Regarding the federal Air and Rail vaccination mandate, in case anyone is looking for a job,

Mar 09, 2022

VIA Rail requires that all members of its staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof as a condition of employment

Back