• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Honestly, nothing surprises me anymore. Especially re: money. Some people are never satisfied and will do anything to get it.

I am more surprised at how little he was making to piss it all away.

What I am surprised about is how you get a "stay of proceedings" in exchange for resigning from your job? When has your employment ever had anything to do with it?
Both of the charges he was facing are 'trust-based' with a straight line between their office of employment and the criminal charges. Both sides apparently felt that the agreement adequately served the public interest.

I’ve seen several members of OPS wearing a few different skill badges.
How is that viewed by other officers? It seems a little ostentatious to me but maybe officers find it impressive.

I was super disappointed when Chrono got caught up in this stupid bullshit. $100k a year job plus OT and you take bribes from tow trucks? Friggin’ pathetic.
Super weird for sure. Collecting $200,000 sitting at home probably didn't hurt but losing his job over what probably amounts to pizza money was stupid. Seems to have got off light all things considered.

I'm sure the CAF would take him back.

Both of the charges he was facing are 'trust-based' with a straight line between their office of employment and the criminal charges. Both sides apparently felt that the agreement adequately served the public interest.
The crown said it was "on the lower end of the police corruption scale" .

I personally think police taking bribes and committing fraud is a pretty big deal.

I personally think police taking bribes and committing fraud is a pretty big deal.
I can only assume the Crown was commenting on the actual dollar amounts involved - maybe they meant something else, but I agree, corruption in any part of the justice system has little room for grey. I still see merit in the outcome; a guaranteed positive outcome vs. a trial that is always an unknown until the end. It also ends his income and saves the trial costs.

He ends up losing his job (one that involves trust) and a salary he’ll have a hard time finding elsewhere after this. Not to mention lost future wages.

Then consider his loss of pension. There’s a good chance he transferred his CAF pension to his OPS one. Down the toilet now.

I’m sure he can transfer his pension value to a locked in RRSP or get a return of contributions but that would be the biggest hit.

All for what? A hundred dollars?

He ends up losing his job (one that involves trust) and a salary he’ll have a hard time finding elsewhere after this. Not to mention lost future wages.

Then consider his loss of pension. There’s a good chance he transferred his CAF pension to his OPS one. Down the toilet now.

I’m sure he can transfer his pension value to a locked in RRSP or get a return of contributions but that would be the biggest hit.

All for what? A hundred dollars?

Looking at that pic is say I'd he wanted to make money in the merc would it probably wouldn't be too difficult for him to fall in there.

Then consider his loss of pension.

Down the toilet now.

Why would he lose his OMERS pension?

Disgraced Ottawa police officer to keep pension​

"Quit? Fired? Doesn't matter," said John Pierce, a spokesman for Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System, which administers pension funds for most Ontario police departments.

"It's irrelevant to OMERS how a person leaves their job. A clawback of accrued pension benefits is not legal under the Pension Benefits Act."

Does OMERS have a déferrement?

I've been in OMERS 50 years ( come Sept. ) .

I don't know about deferrments. But, you can look it up here,

There’s a good chance he transferred his CAF pension to his OPS one. Down the toilet now.

For that discussion,

They may be comparing it directly to the third officer who was charged in this case and who has not been offered this deal. The stunt he was planning quite a bit higher up the scale, based on what has been reported openly.

How is that viewed by other officers? It seems a little ostentatious to me but maybe officers find it impressive.

Probably ‘meh’, mostly. I’ll admit it took me by surprise the first time I saw an officer with the close protection badge on his vest. I’ve seen one or two with jump wings too. OPS has quite a cadres of members with time in Petawawa or other military sites in the Ottawa area. Some wear some of the bling, some don’t.

I don't know about deferments. But, you can look it up here,

Right so a guy with 2 years on the force, and I guess 2 years of leave with pay would give him 4 years of pensionable time? That he can defer to age 60 assuming OMERS allows that.

I don't know about deferrments. But, you can look it up here,

For that discussion,

Reading that it seems that he can defer. So he can collect what would be 4 years of pensionable time at age 60.

Unless he transferred his regular force pension before he resigned.

Either way he takes a big loss on his pension.

Stupid.

They may be comparing it directly to the third officer who was charged in this case and who has not been offered this deal. The stunt he was planning quite a bit higher up the scale, based on what has been reported openly.

Probably ‘meh’, mostly. I’ll admit it took me by surprise the first time I saw an officer with the close protection badge on his vest. I’ve seen one or two with jump wings too. OPS has quite a cadres of members with time in Petawawa or other military sites in the Ottawa area. Some wear some of the bling, some don’t.
Medals and ribbons I get.

But qualification badges and pins? That seems a bit of a stretch but I guess OPS has its own dress regs.

I’ve seen some RCMP wear medals they received in the CAF as they are recognized in the Canadian order of decorations but I haven’t seen Any qualification pins or badges. I also think they have a policy where you can wear your CD until you qualify for your long service medal at which point you have to replace it as only one long service decoration can be worn (both the CD and police long service medal are national in nature if I recall)

I might have that wrong so feel free to correct me.

Medals and ribbons I get.

But qualification badges and pins? That seems a bit of a stretch but I guess OPS has its own dress regs.

I’ve seen some RCMP wear medals they received in the CAF as they are recognized in the Canadian order of decorations but I haven’t seen Any qualification pins or badges. I also think they have a policy where you can wear your CD until you qualify for your long service medal at which point you have to replace it as only one long service decoration can be worn (both the CD and police long service medal are national in nature if I recall)

I might have that wrong so feel free to correct me.

Definitely not. Canadian Honours System is the Canadian Honours System. I’ve been on parade with Mounties on a few occasions and have seen quite a mix of H&A earned in both RCMP and CAF. While a CD / RCMP long service medal combo wouldn’t be something you’d see often, there are definitely Mounties who stuck with PRes or CIC and eventually got both. Separately, some of their deployments qualify for OSM, and they still send a decent number of people on peacekeeping missions. If I had to guess, you might be thinking of police that lateral from one service to the next. Someone who does 8 years as an MP won’t earn the CD, but those eight years can credit to the Police Exemplary Service Medal. Same if someone got out of the RCMP. Though I don’t know if the RCMP will take municipal/provincial/MP service and credit it to their medal.

I still see merit in the outcome; a guaranteed positive outcome vs. a trial that is always an unknown until the end. It also ends his income and saves the trial costs.
I don't disagree but I also feel the public may see this as these officers getting off the hook easy. Yes they lose their jobs and benefits and pension. They're also police officers who were taking bribes. They weren't even fired, I'm sure they still get priority hiring.

I see what I missed initially. Both Officers whose charges were stayed in exchange for their resignation are also testifying against the two Officers still facing charges.

It all makes sense now 😎

Right so a guy with 2 years on the force,

As I recall, what was "impressive" ( if that was the right word ) in emergency services was worn on the lower left jacket sleeve.

One Year of Service insignia for every five years on your department.

City of Ottawa also wears them.

As for if his CAF experience got him "special hiring consideration", a dozen pages about that,

Q: I am a current/past member of the military. Do I get special consideration?

A: Although we appreciate your service in the military, all current and past members of any military service will proceed through the Constable Selection System like any other candidate.

END QUOTE

That's Toronto. Not sure if OPS policy is any different?

I see what I missed initially. Both Officers whose charges were stayed in exchange for their resignation are also testifying against the two Officers still facing charges.

It all makes sense now 😎
I missed that too. Yup.

Chronopoulos was very new- less than two years when this happened. I think the other guy who’s resigning was junior too. The other dude, very much not. I guess possibly these two were flipped?

Back