• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forces struggling to recruit...

Certainly a daring one:

"he told the interviewer that he has done 'magic mushrooms' in the past during the interview"

Doing 'shrooms during an interview?  Far out, man.  The kid has more balls than a ten pound bag of number nine shot.

;D

Tom

Lingling

Would you feel safe driving with this guy, knowing he could have a flashback at any time?  How about if he had a loaded gun in his hands?  Perhaps he could be flying a plane, when it happens?  What do you think now?

Or even worse: An RMS Clerk screwing up your pay...

George Wallace said:
Lingling

Would you feel safe driving with this guy, knowing he could have a flashback at any time?  How about if he had a loaded gun in his hands?  Perhaps he could be flying a plane, when it happens?  What do you think now?
Hey, totally agree with you. I just feel sorry for the guy though

George Wallace said:
Just a quick note to tempest77

You may want to try harder with your spelling........."Forces stuggling to recruit..." has garnered a lot of attention so far on what I hoped you meant......"Struggling".  I fixed it for you.  All posts, except quotes, should have the correct spelling now.....  ;D

....Or is stuggling a new term for something completely different, and we all missed it?

My bad!  Thanks for correcting it! 

George Wallace said:
....Or is stuggling a new term for something completely different, and we all missed it?

I got stuggled once.  Couldn't sit for a week!

(Sorry, George.... couldn't resist.)

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=7cc3e369-ab50-4c3d-8567-fabd1aa349bc&k=16656
Give this a read, the kicker is at the top of the second page.  It would appear that I, also have misconceptions about the purpose of our military.  Letters to Pauline Tam anyone?

what?! no way should the security checks ever be laxed!! theyre lax enough! police and RCMP security checks are way more hard and u dont even get to carry an automatic rifle around or get even a quarter of the kit!!!

sorry, that post is mean to quote the person who wrote the article in the link not the person who posted it on this website my bad ::)

I posted this comment elsewhere, but it might be worth repeating. We aren't really "struggling to recruit". We are "struggling to train". According to the Commander of the CFRG, who spoke here at the College last week, there is very little problem recruiting people. The Army, in particular, is generally doing well. (The Navy, unfortunately, is not.)The problem is recruit and MOC training for these folks once they get in. The Army is stepping up to the plate by running decentralized training, but not all MOCs belong to the Army, and some lack a critical mass of NCOs to act as instructors.

Cheers

By Capt Holly - Anne Brown, CF
Recruiting Group Public Affairs Officer
Excerpts from the CF  Personnel Newsletter

"CFRG has achieved a level of success this  past year that has exceeded all expectations. Due to the colossal efforts of personnel at all levels, and a renewed CF recruiting culture that maintains 'everyone in uniform is a recruiter', the Reg Force target of slightly more than 5500 was exceeded by 6 %, bringing the total number of Reg Force enrollees to more than 5800."

"While Recruiting Group had met  the previous several years' recruitment goals with remarkable success, last year the CF embarked on a level of expansion not seen since the Korean War. The target set for 2005 - 2006 - more than 550 new full-time members - was an ambitious 25% increase over the previous year."

"While Recruiting Group had met  the previous several years' recruitment goals with remarkable success, last year the CF embarked on a level of expansion not seen since the Korean War. The target set for 2005 - 2006 - more than 550 new full-time members - was an ambitious 25% increase over the previous year."

- That's the trouble with twenty-year opd journalists - they have no idea what we did twenty-three years ago.  On the YTEP Program, we hired 5,000 EXTRA recruits.  CFRS Cornwallis and ERFC St-Jean took a bunch, but the regiments and battallions in each brigade ran courses as well. 

- Take a good look around:  a lot of Snr NCOs, WOs and Officers started out on YTEP.

"Why tepp, for a full year, till they're full grown!" - sung to the tune of the Puppy Chow song.

So we need to train more...I've been out of it for a bit and correct me if I'm wrong and I KNOW someone will....
We have 2 places teaching basic, St Jean and a place in BC I think. we are starting to teach basic on Ontario soon I think.
So we have 3 places that cant put out the same ammount of troops as Good Ole Cornwallis did. With 3 depots turning out troops we should go back to regimentally taught battleschools and TQ3/Sq or whatever there should be no problems training these troops.

Lack of instructors perhaps....they need more incentives to stay in ...back to signing bonuses/education.

I don't know

LIKELY said:
So we need to train more...

If I recall correctly, it's after basic where they are running into the issues.
You have all these basic trained recruits and nowhere to put them after, so they are stuck on PAT waiting for an SQ/3's course to open up. Then we get a backlog, and the vicious circle continues.

Springroll said:
If I recall correctly, it's after basic where they are running into the issues.
You have all these basic trained recruits and nowhere to put them after, so they are stuck on PAT waiting for an SQ/3's course to open up. Then we get a backlog, and the vicious circle continues.

As I understand it, this is the main problem, as opposed to simple recruit training, which (in theory) can be done by instructors of any MOC.

Cheers

So if the problem is not enough instructors, maybe that is why LFAA is now running YRAP in Aldershot.  PLQ going thru all the time, Reg and Res down there.  Is this happening anywhere's else?

For those who never heard of YRAP, its Year Round ARTS Program, there is a cadre of instructors there that can teach, IIRC, BMQ/SQ, PLQ and some of the other DP1/DP2 stuff. 

Another free dental program for Maritimers who can't afford to get their teeth fixed!

;D

TCBF said:
Another free dental program for Maritimers who can't afford to get their teeth fixed!

;D

We get free dental?  Damn!  ;D

Maybe I can stop using white-out on my teeth now!

Quagmire said:
Relax security clearences.  Um hell no.  They are many reasons why recruiting is meessed up but security clearences aren't where I'd be cutting.

Definatley

maybe they should pump more money into getting the security clearences done quicker and more efficently?
waiting 2 plus years to get in is unacceptable.

Security clearances are conducted in conjunction with other agencies.  So we are bound by their red tape.  Also CF recruiting isn't high on the priority list when these agencies are trying to get soldiers cleared for deployments, foreign service members cleared for foreign postings, essential workers cleared for their line of work etc etc.

Also 2 years for a pre-sec is the exception more than it is the norm.

It's sad to say but we need to get smarter about it.  Target countries of concern, facilitate people from traditional allied countries.

Back