• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forces struggling to recruit...

tempest77

Inactive
Reaction score
Military struggling to attract personnel

Pauline Tam
The Ottawa Citizen

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Canadian Forces were to welcome 200 new recruits to their ranks Saturday, with a CF-18 fly-past, a 21-gun salute and a pomp-filled ceremony, presided over by the highest brass, at the Canadian War Museum. Behind the scenes, however, the military is struggling to attract personnel.

The trained effective strength of the Forces is roughly 52,000. Those in favour of a robust military would like to see that number grow by at least 10,000. But the latest assessment by Auditor General Sheila Fraser does not inspire confidence. It shows that the Forces are hard-pressed to meet the targeted expansion of 5,000 set previously by the Liberals, let alone the Harper government's benchmark of 13,000.

Despite their best efforts, the regular Forces have had a net gain of only 700 full-time members since 2002.

More to the point, the military has failed to recruit visible minorities and new Canadians. Those who identify themselves as visible minorities make up less than three per cent of the regular Forces and four per cent of the reserves. In total, there are fewer than 2,500 visible minorities in the military.

Calls for a more diverse military have come from the top. Earlier this year, Chief of Defence Staff Rick Hillier publicly mused about ways to encourage new Canadians to enlist. He floated the provocative idea of granting fast-tracked citizenship to landed immigrants who join the military.

Last week, Charles Belzile, a retired lieutenant-general, weighed in, suggesting that the military should relax its security-clearance requirements, which act as a barrier for immigrant recruits.

Belzile, who co-authored a major study on the role of military reserves in defence, told the National Press Club that immigrant recruits should be allowed to serve while security checks are being done. If the screening process flags any concerns, the military would have the power to reject a candidate. This form of conditional enlistment would streamline a recruitment process that, at the moment, takes up to 30 months.

Aside from the practical implications of these proposals, the need for armed forces that better reflect Canada is obvious.

The effectiveness of this country's role in the world rests on having a multicultural military. When Canadian soldiers go abroad, diversity is what they can count on to win hearts and minds. Speaking another language is an asset, but being from another culture means soldiers see solutions to problems from different perspectives.

The need is urgent given Canada's presence in Afghanistan. According to Belzile, however, the Forces' ability to recruit from Muslim communities is limited. "It's not because they're unsuitable but because it's not attractive to them," he said.

This is an understatement considering the way anti-terrorism measures have targeted these groups.

The military's image problem is similar to one faced by police forces. Both are state institutions that newcomers tend to view with suspicion. Indeed, many come from countries where the police and military are instruments of repression. Even in this country, race relations between police and visible minorities remain a hot-button issue.

Another problem is that cultural minorities tend to have misconceptions about the nature of Canada's military, which is less a fighting army than one designed for peacekeeping, disaster response, reconstruction, humanitarian missions and border patrol.

There's no doubt that the Forces need to be more proactive in dispelling these myths. To that end, Belzile's proposal merits consideration.

Hillier's idea, however, is more problematic. Rewarding immigrant soldiers with citizenship, reminiscent of the French Foreign Legion, sends the wrong message about what the Canadian Forces stand for. It devalues military service and suggests that, with a personnel shortage, immigrants must be induced to take jobs that Canadians don't want. This is not the way to develop either a loyal soldier or an engaged citizen.

But even peace-loving liberals need to recognize that a military that does not reflect this country risks being seen as illegitimate. It also perpetuates a divide that leaves visible minorities and new Canadians less likely to embrace the values of this country.

Pauline Tam is a Citizen writer. E-mail: ptam@thecitizen.canwest.com

© The Ottawa Citizen 2006

Do NOT relax security clearance requirements they are in place for a reason.

The public perception of the military has to change before anyone will want to join, most people think we are poorly paid, and for what I do making over 60K is quite nice with a high school diploma. 

We need better advertising campaigns

Signing bonuses for RESIGNING

And CADPAT for NAVY personnel, that will attract gung ho kids who are afraid to join the army, but want to look cool! 

Building up the forces can't be done over night it will take some time before we will reach the target number, I know in my trade over the next few years we will be losing quite a few people, I am sure that is the same for all trades, give it time.

They have had no problem attracting me.

Being totally honest, once I get off accutane , I'll be heading over to the Ottawa recruiting centre to explore how I can best serve the CF, and my own interests.

Being in university I've found is fun, but hey, I don't like the attitudes I see around me, the kind of lazy once I finish uni I'll have a nice cushey job, because I'm automatically entitled because I want to university. Please do not misunderstand me, there are lots of students there that have worked vary hard, and will make a definte positive impact on the Canadian society, but the numbers that are just coasting through it are much higher.

Having discussed my desire to serve in the CF with my parents this summer, they were a bit hesistant, as there is no previous military heritage in my family, but I told them it is not and will not be a rushed decision, but once I further educate myself I can educate them. They are supportive and proud that I'd choose to try and do something I want to do, attempt to be happy in a job rather than chase empty money.

I don't know how you can go about recruiting more effectively, aside from offeriing ridiculously high pay. Amongst my social circle from high school and university, there seems to be a perception that the CF is an insanely hard life to live, and so most people shy away from it for that reason. I told a lady friend of mine my intentions to apply, and she said " wow. well if you can handle it and thats what you want , then thats awesome! I could never do it tho!" She may not be able to be in the military, maybe I'm not cut out for it either, I'll only know once I try... but in my experience, the CF somehow seems to be losing people before they even start looking.

Honestly, its like young Canadians in particular have to have a change in what they feel are acceptable jobs, I still get the "you're in university, what do you need the Army/Navy/Air Force for??" like its some place for the inferior of society to go. And its that kind of thinking that really gets to me. People they are too good to serve their country. Maybe believing in the concept of a nation is naive, but being candid, it's something that everyone can believe in, regardless of religion or race, and I think thats worth serving and working for.

My $2.50. :p

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=7cc3e369-ab50-4c3d-8567-fabd1aa349bc&k=16656
Give this a read, the kicker is at the top of the second page.  It would appear that I, also have misconceptions about the purpose of our military.  Letters to Pauline Tam anyone?

Talking to the recruiters in Saskatoon, Sask. I got the impression we actually had a solid recruit # this year going to basic.

Thanks for the heads up on that one Luck881.......

But where do you start to reply to that..... ??? ::)

IrishCanuck said:
They have had no problem attracting me.

I don't know how you can go about recruiting more effectively, aside from offeriing ridiculously high pay. Amongst my social circle from high school and university, there seems to be a perception that the CF is an insanely hard life to live, and so most people shy away from it for that reason. I told a lady friend of mine my intentions to apply, and she said " wow. well if you can handle it and thats what you want , then thats awesome! I could never do it tho!" She may not be able to be in the military, maybe I'm not cut out for it either, I'll only know once I try... but in my experience, the CF somehow seems to be losing people before they even start looking.

Having only had Reserve service under my belt, I can't comment on life in the Regular Force. My wife, however, spent 20-odd years in the Regular Force, and from what she has told me, military life can be demanding. That said, how demanding it is is a matter of perception, and somewhat dependent on how hard one is willing to work to manage those demands. What it all comes down to is best expressed in the old aphorism, "Train hard, fight easy." In other words, military life is demanding for a reason - to instill discipline that helps people function well in adverse circumstances, which happen a lot - in combat.

Honestly, its like young Canadians in particular have to have a change in what they feel are acceptable jobs, I still get the "you're in university, what do you need the Army/Navy/Air Force for??" like its some place for the inferior of society to go. And its that kind of thinking that really gets to me. People they are too good to serve their country. Maybe believing in the concept of a nation is naive, but being candid, it's something that everyone can believe in, regardless of religion or race, and I think thats worth serving and working for.

The reasons why the military is having trouble attracting people are manifold - and too complex to be discussed here at length. However, there are prominent common denominators which underpin the nature of the problem:

1. Canadian youth are not as patriotic as the youth of the Fifties, Sixties (and the Seventies were, to a lesser extent). They live in a world relatively free of threats to their survival. That is, unlike the youth of the Fifties and Sixties, they don't have the bomb to worry about.  To such people, terrorism is somewhat of an abstraction, something which happens elsewhere. Moreover, Canadians in general have lived with and accepted as an article of faith the idea that Canada doesn't really need a military because it is the job of the United States to defend us. So why join?

2. Canadian youth are used to having lots of creature comforts. Many have seen that their parents, particularly if they were in the military, had comparatively few such comforts. Rightly or wrongly, they may perceive military life as poorly paid, with many hardships to be endured.

3. You raise an interesting point when you say "people see the military as a place where only the inferior used to go." At one time, that was somewhat true, in the sense that if you lacked marketable skills, lacked a proper education, or had problems with the law (or were heading for a life in trouble with the law), the military was where you could go to overcome some of those obstacles - to a point. It's not for nothing that people in my day used to joke about some recruits being "the Queen's hard bargain".

Finally, I personally believe that the few who genuinely do want a military life are scared off by the constant cut-backs, always having to make do with obsolete or substandard kit, and getting precious little support from either the government or the civilian populace. That is, who wants to lay their life on the line, if their country will not provide them wth proper kit? Or if that same government cannot decide what the military should be, or what it should do?

I agree with loosening the security clearances but for all not just minorities. I started my application with references etc the first week in january in march they called me and said I needed to do fingerprints and in may they called me and said they lost my fingerprints and i need to do it again. It is now six months and i have done NO testing of anykind  medical written, physical etc. The last time I went to the CFRC I was told my security clearance could take upto another year or so. WTF?  how is someone suppose to say interested if it takes this long I need a solid career now not 2 years from now..

Sorry about complaining but I needed to vent.

Walrus

A post on this at "The Torch":

"Canadian Forces: More vis. min. Boy Scouts the answer"
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/06/canadian-forces-more-vis-min-boy.html

Mark
Ottawa

Walrus said:
I agree with loosening the security clearances but for all not just minorities. I started my application with references etc the first week in january in march they called me and said I needed to do fingerprints and in may they called me and said they lost my fingerprints and i need to do it again. It is now six months and i have done NO testing of anykind  medical written, physical etc. The last time I went to the CFRC I was told my security clearance could take upto another year or so. WTF?   how is someone suppose to say interested if it takes this long I need a solid career now not 2 years from now..

Sorry about complaining but I needed to vent.

Walrus

I am becoming VERY anoyed with how some  of the trades keep posting garbage to the Recruiting Centers, then wondering why they are dysfunctional.  My advice?  Back to Regimental Recruiting we go.

Wasn't it stated somewhere that the CF had met it's recruiting goals and that it was training/retention that were the biggest problems?

This article is bang on! General Belzile is right. The CF needs to relax it cumbersome Security Clearance requirements. Maybe with a little help "from the top" the CF will be able to recruit its desired personnel with real Canadian values.  The CFRC should concentrate more effort on the greater Toronto area. I hear there are many interested in military training.
It is very concerning to me that the current values of the CF may be viewed as illegitimate. :cdn:

Relax security clearences.  Um hell no.  They are many reasons why recruiting is meessed up but security clearences aren't where I'd be cutting.

TCBF said:
I am becoming VERY anoyed with how some  of the trades keep posting garbage to the Recruiting Centers, then wondering why they are dysfunctional.  My advice?  Back to Regimental Recruiting we go.

And WTF are you basing that comment on?  Just because someone comes on and posts that it is the CFRC/D fault their file is delayed you jump on their bandwagon?  Why don't you do a tour in recruitng and you can make it all rosy and better?

I don't believe relaxing security clearance is an answer. I've joined the army as reserve prior to taking my citizenship , it took a bit long to complete the security clearance but i'd no problem joining.

I believe the problem with attracting new recruits is the recruiting process itself. From recent experience, the progress is extremely disappointing for people who have families to feed and jobs to take care of. Nobody in the recruiting office knows the right answer, there is no single standard answer. You just apply and whatever they give you is it! You don't even know what you're applying for, when you'll hear a decision, when is the next basic training.

The recruiting process seemed like a complete chaos. I know people didn't get accepted because they didn't have any volunteer experience 'or so they were told', others because they used drugs in the past and straightened afterward.

The only organized part about the process was the testing. Other than that, it is next to impossible to know what and when something will happen!

kincanucks said:
And WTF are you basing that comment on?  Just because someone comes on and posts that it is the CFRC/D fault their file is delayed you jump on their bandwagon?  Why don't you do a tour in recruitng and you can make it all rosy and better?
+1

Whenever I've talked to people about joining the military, they say why do that when I can get a good paying job, education, apartment, and be treated like an adult at work. Personally, I can see their point. I used to work at Safeway, as well as doing some volunteer work with EPS, I loved it and had really good self confidence, as well as being able to do rewarding volunteer work. I decided to join the military to help make me a better citizen as well as have a rewarding job, but what has it been so far, just a 635$ pay cheque every two weeks. Personally I can't wait to get out and hopefully get on with a police service or get into university. I'm sure that other people enjoy being in the military, but myself, no thanks I'll make the best of my four years and get out.

It seems that the military is having problems recruiting minorities, I say screw that noise, they are having a problem recruiting period.  I don't think any solution is to focus on recruiting minorities, I am sure most of you have seen recruiting posters/trucks and there is a good mix on those, not just your average white male.

Why all of a sudden are we concerned about recruiting muslims?  Is this just so that when we are deployed to the middle east we seem friendlier or more approachable?  They funny thing is I have friends in recruiting and they both tell me that the numbers are good, I always thought the main problem was retention, but who am I, and I am most likely way off.

I think we should come up with a more streamlined recruitment process, it only took me just over 3 weeks from my initial visit to CFRC in gagetown to Basic (May 96).  Now I am hearing stories of guys who are waiting a year?  How is this possible?  Especially with so many trades in need of people (SIG OP). I guess I got lucky.

Hopefully we can retain some skills and attract more people to the military.  I grew up as a base brat, and I know we are very well paid compared to my fathers time.

635$ a pay cheque?  Are you living in single quarters and paying rations???  I am bringing in close to $1700 a pay cheque and that's without sea pay/subspa......... 

Yes, if I could I would stop paying rations and quarters, and move out to my own place, besides I could probably make myself better and healthier food then whats at the mess. Personally, I know that some people love being in the military, but its not the life for myself, I regret not doing post secondary instead. If a person thinks they would enjoy the military life go into the reserves, don't go fulltime or else they might have deep regrets if they find out its not the life for them. As well while your in the training process you can't do any volunteer work, if I could I would apply to do volunteer work with a police service or even work part time if I could. My reccomendation to anybody joining up is to do it part time before going fulltime.

Back