• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forces struggling to recruit...

But for many people an extra $10,000 to stay a few more years is attractive. If you are going to a war zone its nice getting a tax free paycheck while you are there. Job satisfaction and time off is great but at the end of the day it boils down to money vs the hassle of service life.

tomahawk6 said:
But for many people an extra $10,000 to stay a few more years is attractive. If you are going to a war zone its nice getting a tax free paycheck while you are there. Job satisfaction and time off is great but at the end of the day it boils down to money vs the hassle of service life.

You know......I have to agree with that statement to a limited extent. The reason I say "limited" is that I LOVE my job, I LOVE my country, and I am PROUD to serve my country in what is one of the most honorable professions that has ever existed: The profession of Arms. That said, because of those reasons, I will be wearing this uniform until the day that they tell me that I am too old, or too broken to wear it any more. At the same time, I have a few mixed feelings about "incentives" for enrolling and retention. I am a LCIS Tech, with 23 years of service, having signed my IPS years ago. Now: I look at some of these youngsters who are enrolling with Technical Training from a college somewhere getting a $20000 signing bonus to stay in for 5 years or so. Here I am, with 23 years IN TRADE, and what incentive did I get for re-signing and staying in? A big fat egg. Now, that is not to say that I wouldn't stay in anyways: Like I said..I love my job, and I have a family to provide for. At the same time however, it would have been nice to have seen my "much longer" commitment recognized in a similar fashion to a recruit who doesn't even know how to lace up his boots properly yet.

LCIS-Tech said:
....... At the same time however, it would have been nice to have seen my "much longer" commitment recognized in a similar fashion to a recruit who doesn't even know how to lace up his boots properly yet.

This is the here and now.  I wonder if you bothered to look at what your Pension will be, compared to the hoops the 'new" system has placed on recent recruits and what their Pensions may be like.  Perhaps you aren't as "done in" as you thought. 

Just wondering.

Perhaps a backend pension sum would be a viable option for those with over 10 years service. The more time in, the more pension bonus recieved when opting out. Also gives people more incentives to stick it out. Besides VETS deserve the cash for thier time in as apposed to some snot nosed kid fresh out of the classroom with a shiney new diploma and no clue. <--- ( no disrespect to my future CO's  ;D)

Cheers.

The "snot-nosed kids" are getting a bonus because they don't need as much training as you did.  They're bypassing a year or two of tech training because they are entering with skills you lacked when you got in.

In fact, we're ripping them off (by one measure) - the old folks got two years pay, plus the value of the training - call it $150K in pay, benefits and training - and we're only giving the "snot-nosed kids" $20K (max).

George Wallace said:
This is the here and now.  I wonder if you bothered to look at what your Pension will be, compared to the hoops the 'new" system has placed on recent recruits and what their Pensions may be like.  Perhaps you aren't as "done in" as you thought. 

Just wondering.

I have - they will have to do the same time - 25 pensionable years as I do and the pension they receive will be higher as by the time they get there their pay will be much higher than mine is. On top of that they have received a nice nest egg that they can invest, pay off student loans or use towards a down payment on a house.  Paying signing bonuses to get someone in for 5 years is nice but obviously is not enough as we continue to lose the recruiting battles. A nice retention payment might encourage some of those leaving after 5 to stick around along with those pulling the plug after doing the  20/25 they need for pension. Interesting that infantry seems to be doing better at recruiting without a signing bonus than those receiving them.

Here is a perfect example of why some are leaving:  Reg F MCpl, retires with pension, joins P Res full time - Pension plus P Res pay equals approx Reg F WO pay. Still in the military, still a MCpl, has a lot more money and time off (22 days leave plus 30/31 day break). At the later stage of the game when people have families to take care of money can be a big motivator.

CountDC said:
Here is a perfect example of why some are leaving:  Reg F MCpl, retires with pension, joins P Res full time - Pension plus P Res pay equals approx Reg F WO pay. Still in the military, still a MCpl, has a lot more money and time off (22 days leave plus 30/31 day break). At the later stage of the game when people have families to take care of money can be a big motivator.

That is where the CT Process should be encouraging Reg Force to continue on with the Primary Reserves on completion of their contracts.  Reserve Units are loosing a great number of their members to the Regular Force, and loosing their "experienced" people.  Look at the "experience" former Reg Force can bring to a Reserve Unit.  Not all Reg Force retirees want to have anything to do with the military when they leave, but there are many who may, and they should be encouraged to do some time in the Reserves who are desperately looking for the "experienced" and more importantly, Instructors.

As for you look on the Pensions being the same.  They are two different plans now.  The older Service Members at their 25, or more, year mark are at an advantage.  They do not have to wait 25 years to get a basic pension; they reached that after 20 years.  Not that it matters in thirty years when they have been retired for twenty or so, and the people on the new plan start to retire.  Indexing and such will have kicked in, but no two pensions, no matter what or for whom, will be the same.  Pensions are probably a moot point. 

I would take the line of dapaterson to have a clearer, more realistic, look at the problem.

I'm taking my pension and running as well.  I'll be getting a pay raise in my new job, plus pulling in a decent pension. Being promoted and posted was not really attractive at all.  
FWIW, the money is OK in the service, but my brother apprenticed as a scaffolder (so he could do something different) in Ft McMoney.  He pulled in 90K, living rent and ration free in camp.  He apprenticed! I've been with the same outfit for 33 years and he has always made more than me.  On the negative side, he has had to put his money aside for years because his pension is going to suck!

George Wallace said:
As for you look on the Pensions being the same.  They are two different plans now.  The older Service Members at their 25, or more, year mark are at an advantage.  They do not have to wait 25 years to get a basic pension; they reached that after 20 years.  Not that it matters in thirty years when they have been retired for twenty or so, and the people on the new plan start to retire.  Indexing and such will have kicked in, but no two pensions, no matter what or for whom, will be the same.  Pensions are probably a moot point. 

I would take the line of dapaterson to have a clearer, more realistic, look at the problem.

two plans now - wow - when were they going to tell us clerks??? Last I heard they were gonna have 3 until all the old timers were gone - the 20 year plan grandfathered, the new 25 year plan and the reserve plan.

my look on the pensions were comparing mine to the new members thus the use of such terms as "25 pensionable years as I do" and "higher than mine".

maybe the pensions are moot but you were the one that brought it into the mix.

Loachman said:
There are things far more important than money in this calling; in no particular order:

One must feel that what one is doing is worthwhile and contributes to the betterment of one's Country and Planet;

One must have interesting and challenging things to do;

One must have adequate rest and time for oneself and one's family;

One must have the opportunity for self-improvement;

One must feel secure in the knowledge that, should anything happen, that one and one's family will be looked after;

One must have the support of one's fellow citizens and government; and

One must have the equipment to do one's job.

... and one wonders why one's regiment has such issues getting the troops out for parades and ftx's.

(Hey, 1 out of 7 isn't bad!) :brickwall:

tank recce said:
... and one wonders why one's regiment has such issues getting the troops out for parades and ftx's.

(Hey, 1 out of 7 isn't bad!) :brickwall:

I find it shocking that troops aren't flocking to the armoury floor, keen on yet another go round of 'taking your rifle apart and putting it together', and 'walking before we run'  ::)

Back