• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forces struggling to recruit...

Bograt said:
Delays suck. There are plenty of good stories coming from the recruiting centres as well.

From the outside looking in...I think the perception here is part of the problem  :)

While I realize the privacy act limits you, most of the stories I read on here (agreed...are not always complete) relate to the frustrations of the waiting game. People don't know where they are on the checklist of things to accomplish prior to being accepted or rejected. It is probably not feasible, but even if people applying could have a periodic letter sent to them that itemizes the stage at which they are, and what is yet to be accomplished. If this is a year long process, then a quarterly checklist might be applicable. This would not only let the person know where they stand in relation to their application, but would mean that someone has to periodically handle their file and ensure it is not forgotten or lost in the shuffle.

Further to Kincanucks comments, If a person who is sailing through the process, can get accepted within 3 months, then they will never receive a checklist letter, just a congratulatory letter.

I don't want to legitmize the "one year" date that gets tossed around here. The time is dependant on a number of things- time you apply, strength of application, need of the CF etc.

After the end of the interview, candidates are told what is going to happen to their file and are told to keep in regular contact with the office.

edit changed "year" to "here" in first sentence. My newfie accent is coming through...

Is there a time line that the CFRC has to go by?

Like CFAT within X amount of time from app submission, medical within X amount of time, etc?

Not that I am aware of- that being said, we do screen people as soon as we are able to do so. - i.e.- completed file, med staff available, etc...

It is in the recruiting centres interest to do things quickly, because we are subject to "target enrolments" each fiscal year. Now with Force Expansion, those target numbers are even larger.

Bograt said:
Not that I am aware of- that being said, we do screen people as soon as we are able to do so. - i.e.- completed file, med staff available, etc...

Okay. I wasn't sure if there was or not.

I have read a few stories on here where people have done their testing all in one day.
Is there a reason why all the CFRC's aren't trying to do things like that with all the applications submitted?
Is it not possible with the amount of applications coming through and not enough staff at the CFRC's?

Okay, my det is very small- we don't have med staff or a PSP guy. So when we process, we fly in our staff and get people done all in one day. We only process every 4-5 weeks- depending on how many completed files we have.

Some other offiices process every day- and they have med staff/and or PSP staff available. I believe the CFRC in Halifax has contracted the PT test out to a fitness centre in the same building.

Hope that answers you question.

Bograt said:
I believe the CFRC in Halifax has contracted the PT test out to a fitness centre in the same building.

Yes, the CFRC in Halifax has contracted their PT testing out to Nubody's but you also have the choice to have your test done on base at the Stadacona gym.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Ok here goes.  My "recruiting" stories.

I decided to apply to the Reg Force in 1989.  Contacted the CFRC in Charlottotown.

2 weeks later, I wrote the appitude test.  Interview, etc etc,  Trade selection, medical the whole sha-bang was done within a month.  I had no "hitches" (legal, medical, etc etc) or "stoppers" if I can call them that.  Completed the application process in 1 day, was put overnight in a hotel, treated very well.  That was January, 1989.  Then...like everyone else, I waited.  For a "Conditional offer of enrolment" I believe it was called then.  Got a call in May.  Sworn in July 25/89.  Arrived CFRS Cornwallis 29 July/89.  So for me, it was 6 months from "hey I want to be in the military" to when I was getting my head shaved and wearing my prisoner coveralls and slippers.  :blotto:

left Reg Frce.

joined Reserves.  2 months, I was sworn in again.

Now I am CT'ing BACK to Reg Frce.  I contacted CFRC. Had my COMPLETE application with ALL documents (as per the CT checklist provided by CFRC Halifax) 2 weeks later.  2 days after I dropped off my App, I was booked in for CFAT/Med/Interview, which was 2 weeks after my COMPLETED application was in their hands.

I have been "recruited" a total of 3 times, and never had or heard personally of hold ups spanning 1-2 years.  Not saying they don't happen, how would I know about everyone else, but..speaking from my own 3 experiences with CFRC, I was never held back, but...I also had my own crap together (i.e. they didn't have to wait for transcripts, etc etc).  I think, in some cases, the individual has to take SOME ownership for hold ups, if they have left the CFRC with an incomplete application.  I look at myself as part of my recruiting team, and think it is MY job to give them the info/paperwork they need to be able to be successful.  But thats just me...

Mud

Bograt - I didn't do a search so I apologize if you've answered this elsewhere. Your profile says that you're a pilot, if you don't mind me asking, why are you currently posted to a CFRC det?

Mud - I got out in '98 at the wrong time (my medical status wasn't determined before I put in my release) so I've had to endure a long process for my return (well documented in prior posts I'm sure). I am not the usual case (injury, travel history, etc.), and I'm now awaiting only my SQ date. Still, to begin the reapplication process in 1999 and finally have it all sorted in 2006 has a way of testing one's patience. Mistakes have been made along the way, but it does get sorted in the end. It would have been nice if it was a few years ago, but what can you do. The system has it's own pace; character building I suppose one might say. I prefer to think that my experience is the exception and not the rule.

In the end, I like being special  ;D

All the stories i've heard have been for people attempting to join the navy so it might be the select few i talked to that had the problem because the navy wasnt interested in them at the time. I know i was applied, was accepted and sworn in within a  3 month period, im not complaining about the time it took me i made sure that everything i did was complete and passed in on time and to the right person, i take pride in doing things properly

Pendant

I think that we should change the name of this topic to "Forces struggling to recruits who can't construct easy to read posts".  Your posts are too hard to read, unless you have done some cut and paste - then they are legible.  I don't even know what your above post is about, as it is too difficult to decipher.

Pendant, it's called an apostrophe, and it is your friend.  >:D

Pendant said:
I know i was applied, was accepted and sworn in within a  3 month period, im not complaining about the time it took me i made sure that everything i did was complete and passed in on time and to the right person, i take pride in doing things properly

Thats great pendant, but I think part of it is that you are 17 and joining the reserves.
Not sure what trade, as you haven't specified (that I have seen.)

Another thought, maybe the system appears more flawed than it is, as we tend to remember the negative stories, and posts, more than the positive ones?

I know, in the Reserves, alot of it falls on the Unit Recruiter.  We have one unit that does EXCEPTIONALLY well, because their Recruiting WO is an exceptional recruiter.  Follows up the files with CFRC, etc etc.

I know the people  who wait longer than normal are frustrated, and, on behalf of the entire CF and your country, your patience and dedication is appreciated  :salute: 

I should write speech's for the CDS!

Mud Recce Man said:
I know the people  who wait longer than normal are frustrated, and, on behalf of the entire CF and your country, your patience and dedication is appreciated   :salute:

Aww shucks Mud, makes it all worth it. :cheers:

Enzo said:
Bograt - I didn't do a search so I apologize if you've answered this elsewhere. Your profile says that you're a pilot, if you don't mind me asking, why are you currently posted to a CFRC det?
That is correct- until 16 June. I am on OJT awaiting my flying courses. The CFRC office was much closer to my wife and family than was a flying squadron.

The recruiting process is at fault. Its outdated. It needs changing. I have been through the recruiting process and it sucks. I was in the Reserves when I decided to go Reg. Force and it still took months to make the transfer.

I have been told that DND is trying very hard to come up with something that will  please the goverment and not chase future soldiers away.

One must not forget, security issues was not the main reason for loosing recruits, the last report on recruitment mentioned that a vast number of hopefuls failed there physicals.

GUNS

My recruiting process has taken over a year and a half already and I am still waiting for a call. I can say that 3 things have hindered the process for me:
1. Requesting additional medical information.
2. An unpaid speeding ticket.
3. A bad debt.

I can say that even with all the hassle and red tape I've had to fight with throughout the recruiting process there is nothing wrong with the system as a whole. Maybe on the CFRC Det. level there may be some staffing issues as mentioned earlier or information processing delays etc., but as a whole I think the system works fine. The problem, I think, does not lie in the 'how' but rather in the 'who'. I am not even fully recruited into the CF but my experience so far has taught me one important fact: CF has stringent policies and procedures that must be adhered to without exception or fail and these policies and procedures (regarding recruiting) are there to ensure that only the right people are recruited. So basically we, as a nation, are lacking the manpower to staff the CF according to established CF standards.
Where are the hard-working, steely-eyed, tight-muscled kids who are brave enough, strong enough and determined enough to measure up to these standards and beyond? It is a widely known fact that our general population is unhealthy, out of shape and straight out lazy. They'd rather play hockey with an X Box controller than with a stick and puck. They'd rather take the elevator or escalator or drive than - God forbid - walk. Rather order from the drive thru window or delivery than cook for themselves. They'd rather sit in an air conditioned cubicle and watch other people work than actually be out there doing it themselves.
This cushy, comfy way of life is the plague on the CF recruiting process. The natural elements, talents and abilities all people are born with are decaying away like disease because it is so easy for people to get used to doing nothing. Now the "Call of Duty" has sounded...and the people are running away from it because it is just too much for their little cry-baby, titty sucking, lazy, coward asses to handle. What are we a country full of pussies?
What do we do about that? I say we do a draft and kick their butts in gear. Make the judgement call after BMQ: those who make it make it, those who don't don't: I wouldn't want them beside me anyway: go back to McDonalds and keep flippin burgers.

I have heard some interesting stories floating about that there may be some shocking changes coming to the CF Recruiting system with the creation of the new CF Personnel Command (will restructure and re-orient the NDHQ pers bureaucracy). One that sounds very promising is that CT will be taken out of the hands of the recruiting system (it doesn't belong there anyway) and made a routine personnel transaction.

I remain skeptical, but I know that there are some pretty good minds moving into Personnel Command as we speak, so I'll hold my shots for now.

Cheers

Back