• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forces struggling to recruit...

Occam said:
In any given group of people, you're going to find a number of them that are going to pull the plug regardless.  The retention bonus isn't targeted at them - it's targeted at the people who would like to continue to serve, but are leaning towards release and greener financial pastures.

Yeah yeah, i'm aware.

Unfortunately, the ones leaving are the ones with all the experience. The ones after them have 6 years in the trade or less. We have to keep the older guys in for a while longer and we're doing a poor job of it.

When i go back to work i will do a little unoficial poll  to see if moeny would get people to resign. I dont expect too many takers ( beyond those who would stay anyways.)

ArmyVern said:
Well, they seemed to help with pilot retention a few years back.

Not really, if at all.

The only people of whom I know that took the money were planning to stay in anyway.

Many others who were also planning to stay in anyway did not take the money, as, being close to the twenty-year point, did not want to give up that freedom for another five years. They did not trust the "system".

I turned it down and became a reservist.

Many others left as well.

Plenty were mightily pissed off about the whole thing, as they were not eligible for either the $75000 or $50000 bonuses, and consequently felt like "second-class" members of the community. COs, who now had a few captains working for them making far more money than they did, were not particularly amused either.

The true saviour of the CF Pilot community was more likely Osama bin Laden, who put an end to airline recruiting programmes world-wide.

Now, if they'd only given us leather jackets like USAF pilots got as part of their retention programme...

As a newbie on the outside still looking in, money wasn't nor is it a deciding factor for me joining up. The chance to learn something new and do something i haven't done before are why i'm interested. 20 years of working in factories and doing various grunt jobs, i've had my fill of the corporate world and where it's headed.

Cheers.

Loachman said:
The true saviour of the CF Pilot community was more likely Osama bin Laden, who put an end to airline recruiting programmes world-wide.

Lots of pilots are "Canada 3000 returnees"  ;D

Now, if they'd only given us leather jackets like USAF pilots got as part of their retention programme...

Oh!  Good Idea!  The old RCN leather flying jackets are particularly nice.  I'll take a 40 long please, with squadron patches.

Loachman said:

I think the Aerospace Controllers should get in on that action, too.  ;D

The USN G-1 was a much sharper looking Aviator Jacket IMO.

Speaking of pay... Well I don't get paid NEARLY enough.. Or rather barely at all. My wages suck!

The Canadian Forces were to welcome 200 new recruits to their ranks Saturday, with a CF-18 fly-past, a 21-gun salute and a pomp-filled ceremony, presided over by the highest brass, at the Canadian War Museum. Behind the scenes, however, the military is struggling to attract personnel.

Here's a suggestion: Raise wages!

Celticgirl said:
I think the Aerospace Controllers should get in on that action, too.  ;D

Sure, those who fly AWACS might as well. For the rest, the leather jacket will not work with CADPAT.

CDN Aviator said:
Sure, those who fly AWACS might as well. For the rest, the leather jacket will not work with CADPAT.

Hey, I wouldn't wear something that nice to work.  8)

CDN Aviator said:

They could make them like the CADPAT boots and gloves.

Then they'd just need matching purses.

Celticgirl said:
Hey, I wouldn't wear something that nice to work.  8)

:tsktsk:

This is the part where i get to educate you on regulations pertaining to the wear of uniform items mixed with civilian clothing........

its against the  :rules:

Plus with all the velcro on it for badges you would judt end up looking like a retard downtown.......

Miss JDro said:

Anyone who claims the CF is underpaid needs to take a long hard look at the non-military job market (excluding the Public Service may be useful as well).  For most jobs, the CF receives above market wages.  Certainly, as in any other employer, those at the bottom receive less, but the "working-level" ranks of Cpl and Capt are well compensated.

Miss JDro said:

WOW......what a stroke of genius !

Why didn't anyone think of that before ?

Yes i'm being sarcastic.

CDN Aviator said:
:tsktsk:

This is the part where i get to educate you on regulations pertaining to the wear of uniform items mixed with civilian clothing........

its against the  :rules:

Plus with all the velcro on it for badges you would judt end up looking like a retard downtown.......

::)

Loachman said:
They could make them like the CADPAT boots and gloves.

Then they'd just need matching purses.

That sounds...intriguing.  :p

We've been through this before...the CF pays people quite well for what alot of us actually do. I would have to be an apprentice in a skilled trade to make more then the CF pays me at 18, and thats without all the other benefits we get. If it weren't for this job, I'd either have to go to some kind of schooling right away, or make 8.50 an hr at Mcdonalds. The pay in the CF is alot better then it used to be, my mom's family was raised on a single soldier income during the 60's and 70's. I won't complain if pay goes up, since so does cost of living, but I think at the moment we're not doing half bad.

There are things far more important than money in this calling; in no particular order:

One must feel that what one is doing is worthwhile and contributes to the betterment of one's Country and Planet;

One must have interesting and challenging things to do;

One must have adequate rest and time for oneself and one's family;

One must have the opportunity for self-improvement;

One must feel secure in the knowledge that, should anything happen, that one and one's family will be looked after;

One must have the support of one's fellow citizens and government; and

One must have the equipment to do one's job.

Andf thsi seems like an appropriate time to introduce Dr. Fred Herzberg (Sgt, US Army, Retired) who is famous for his theories on motivation e.g., it's not always about the money...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Herzberg

Frederick Irving Herzberg (1923 - 2000) was a noted psychologist who became one of the most influential names in business management. He is most famous for introducing job enrichment and the Motivator-Hygiene theory. His 1968 publication "One More Time, How Do You Motivate Employees?" had sold 1.2 million reprints by 1987 and was the most requested article from the Harvard Business Review[1]. Herzberg attended City College of New York, but left part way through his studies to enlist in the army. As a patrol sergeant, he was a firsthand witness of the Dachau concentration camp. He believed that this experience, as well as the talks he had with other Germans living in the area was what triggered his interest in motivation. Herzberg graduated from City College in 1946 and moved to the University of Pittsburgh to undertake post-graduate studies in science and public health. He earned his PhD in psychology with a dissertation entitled "Prognostic variables for electroshock therapy". He started his research on the workplace while teaching as a professor of psychology at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland and later moved to the University of Utah where he held the position of professor of management in the college of business.[2]

http://www.businessballs.com/herzberg.htm

Many people argue nevertheless that money is a primary motivator.
For most people money is not a motivator - despite what they might think and say.
For all people there are bigger more sustaining motivators than money.
Surveys and research studies repeatedly show that other factors motivate more than money. Examples appear in the newspapers and in other information resources every week.For instance, a survey by Development Dimensions International published in the UK Times newspaper in 2004 interviewed 1,000 staff from companies employing more than 500 workers, and found many to be bored, lacking commitment and looking for a new job. Pay actually came fifth in the reasons people gave for leaving their jobs.
The main reasons were lack of stimulus jobs and no opportunity for advancement - classic Herzberg motivators - 43% left for better promotion chances, 28% for more challenging work; 23% for a more exciting place to work; and 21% and more varied work.

Back