• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Female student auctioning off virginity to pay for grad school sparks debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, okay, maybe not a Right and I don’t think it should be free but it should be more affordable to the average Joe, not just those that are fortunate enough to be able to pay for it.

I went to university and paid for it by working. I just didn’t have the guts or body to strip because I probably would have J
The hours are good and the money is quick. Would I be less of a person today. Probably not.

How many of you are still paying off student loans. How many have had their credit hurt because of this. Just to educate yourself? 

In France, education is totally free of charge. Health care is also free. Are they suffering? Is their country is disarray. No. The difference there is that the government is afraid that the people will protest and rebel. Which they do. They have proved it over and over again. Here and in the states, we do not have a voice and the government is not afraid of us. Hence why nothing is changing,

If we are going to talk about university education, we will have to start at the root of the problem which is primary and secondary schools which are free and teach the basics of education.  These institutions require more attention wrt the level of quality they are educating with.  It starts there. 

Ahh reasonable, opinion based discourse. A debate even... An enjoyable thread.

I would debate the state of France's society, as there has been a fair bit of dissatisfaction by that country's poor immigrants. A couple of years ago, there were even riots in several large cities, inlcuding Paris.

I have to get back to work, so I will comment more in depth later.

(You would be surprised at some of the girls dancing today... Not all have barbie doll figures. I have seen several larger women do very well, on the grounds of confidence, and a comprehension of what is erotic as opposed to what is perverse)

Puss~in~Boots said:
If we are going to talk about university education, we will have to start at the root of the problem which is primary and secondary schools which are free and teach the basics of education.  These institutions require more attention wrt the level of quality they are educating with.  It starts there. 
Please do elaborate...educating minds are really curious what you have to say.

I’m always up for a good debate.

Teeps74, you do have a point. I didn’t say that they had a perfect society or no problems but from those riots, decisions were made and they fact still remains that health care and education are free – regardless. It is the people that force the government to change.

As for your comment on plus girls dancing, I have not seen myself anyone dancing that does not fit the stereotypical dancer type. I’m sure they exist but it’s not a regular hangout for me. You could probably tell me more on that subject ..

Ex-Sup:  Well, everyone knows that the schools are under funded and not up to pare with today’s’ standards.  In some provinces, anyone can become a teacher or replacement teacher. What does that say about the quality in our teachers and caregivers?

Again, you can get a better quality education if you can pay for a private institution.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with any of you.

I’m still paying for my student loans. Only 5,000 left..Auction starts @ midnight.

Does wishing you were a virgin again count  :p

Puss,

I find that hard to believe that anyone can just step in to a teaching role. Here in Alberta there aren't enough jobs for teachers hardly and to get one you would likely have to move away to some other part of the province. Are you speaking specifically about post secondary or the actual education system from k-12?

I was talking more about k-12. They are a little more regimented at the university level I would hope.
My mother replaces teachers for weeks at a time and only has a high school degree.
She's not a "qualified" teacher but is considered a temp-teacher. She works for the Ontario government.

Im not saying she can't do it but the fact remains that our kids are being taught by people who themselves, only have a high school diploma, nothing else.

Puss~in~Boots said:
My mother replaces teachers for weeks at a time and only has a high school degree.

Really?  Well that's impressive...

rlee_1001 said:
I find that hard to believe that anyone can just step in to a teaching role. Here in Alberta there aren't enough jobs for teachers hardly and to get one you would likely have to move away to some other part of the province. Are you speaking specifically about post secondary or the actual education system from k-12?

Geez, where were all these teachers when I was in Fort Mac for the previous 6 years from grade 7-12? Our class sizes were up to 45 people.

I'll second the notion that the educators can be lacking a bit of competence. Up until high school where everybody has a degree in their chosen area PLUS an education degree, you're hard-pressed to come across a "good teacher." Even in high school with the 2 bachelors degrees, some teachers aren't extremely competent, and its pretty easy to prove it too with the way Alberta high schools have their grade 12 diploma exams set up.

Am I just a bitter teenage snob? Don't count on it. I did very well in all areas of academics from the day I started, but I'm somebody that just gets it, and don't need much help other then a powerpoint slide and a few examples. But it's easy to observe which people can teach the kids that don't get it so easily, and which ones can't.

Do I think its going to change or is even able to? No. There simply isn't enough money to go around to start requiring people to have 2 degrees just to teach some grade 5 kids, or an abundance of people with 2 degrees that would be willing to do it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the education system isn't as good as it should be, but its probably as good as it could be, or close. It works fine, and those who want to better themselves and do well inevitably will, so its not like we need to start squeezing dollars out of somewhere else just to grease up a squeeky...thing.

I think Ft Mac is a little bit of a special circumstance. When a town goes from a population of what 3000 maybe and then jumps to something ridiculous like 20 or 30 000 (speculation) they obviously aren't going to be properly staffed or equipped to handle the massive spike in population. I had a friend graduate last year with a degree in mathematics along with the 2 year education after degree and he had to move up north to find a job as it was impossible to find one in the Edmonton area. I'm not saying we don't need more teachers, don't get me wrong, but there simply isn't the funding to create positions for them.

rlee_1001 said:
I think Ft Mac is a little bit of a special circumstance. When a town goes from a population of what 3000 maybe and then jumps to something ridiculous like 20 or 30 000 (speculation) they obviously aren't going to be properly staffed or equipped to handle the massive spike in population.

where are you from? those numbers are so far off theres no way you're living anywhere west on Ontario.

Try from 45,000 to 80,000 over 7 years. And it's not proportionate, an appropriate percent of those 35,000 are NOT school-aged people.

I don't disagree that the Mac will always be the extreme picture, but it is the overall picture. Alberta historically has imported many of its teachers from other provinces, and the population shift isn't changing. Google "Alberta teacher shortage" and the evidence is there, minus like one article from the government of Alberta saying that there's no current shortage.

Puss~in~Boots,

My wife substitute taught for a long time before she [we] decided the kids were old enough and she started a job as a school secretary.
I spent a lot of time teaching about running a Battery level CP when I was in the military. [advanced tech, advanced comms]
..and of course almost forgetting we both learned a second language in our late twenties.

Whereas she had no high school credits so between us we haven't even hit your "just high school" level, and yet, somehow we have excelled at all those things.

Your judgement of those whom, for whatever reason, haven't received the same education you have speaks volumes about your charactor. Never confuse education and intelligence since they have NOTHING in common.

You have unfortunately  mis-interpreted my thoughts properly and if I have given you that sense, it was not my intention. You obviously do not know me and I am sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. You should have involved yourself in the debate rather than attack me, on a personal level. I am more neutral on this issue and have numerous opinions, that in themselves, contradict one another.
Lets not mix business and pleasure.

I don't think someone with a university level is in no means more competant or productive in this society. A piece of paper proves nothing. Not all people that have made a difference in this world been educated by an institution.

Puss~in~Boots said:
Ex-Sup:  Well, everyone knows that the schools are under funded and not up to pare with today’s’ standards.  In some provinces, anyone can become a teacher or replacement teacher. What does that say about the quality in our teachers and caregivers?

Again, you can get a better quality education if you can pay for a private institution.

Hard not to get involved when you toss out a line like that when my wife was/is one of your "anyone's".

I'd like your definition of "quality education" by the way.  I happen to think my kids are getting one right now in the "public" system.......

Puss~in~Boots said:
In France, education is totally free of charge. Health care is also free. Are they suffering? Is their country is disarray. No. The difference there is that the government is afraid that the people will protest and rebel. Which they do. They have proved it over and over again. Here and in the states, we do not have a voice and the government is not afraid of us. Hence why nothing is changing,

By this are you advocating rioting in the streets as an engine of change?  Would you want this in our country?  Do you feel it is a desirable element in their governing processes?

Can we get this back on topic please?  (Yes, I'm also guilty of derailing the thread and I apologize.)

Michael O`Leary said:
By this are you advocating rioting in the streets as an engine of change? 
No I think it is clear he is not advocating it.

Michael O`Leary said:
Would you want this in our country?
No. I also think it is clear he does not want this in our country.

Michael O`Leary said:
Do you feel it is a desirable element in their governing processes?
No. Again, also quite clear he is not saying this is a desirable element either.

He does say:
Here and in the states, we do not have a voice and the government is not afraid of us. Hence why nothing is changing
To which he is right for the most part. When Canadians don't like something we have our little peaceful rallies, but for the most part change does not occur.

What's your point with your questions?

Nites

Niteshade said:
What's your point with your questions?

Nites

If you go back to the post I was questioning, she was making the statement that the conditions established by rioting (i.e., that the government was afraid of the people) enabled the maintenance of free post-secondary education.  She stated that this difference is why "nothing is changing" in Canada.

Perhaps you should pull in your horns and examine the exchange a little more closely.

My point was more geared towards the fact that the main difference in the french and candadian way of thinking/acting in the face of the government, who in turn, control the education system.

The government in France are afraid that if they do not uphold what the people want, the will gather in large groups to protest. Sometimes riots occur but for the most part, people are there to defend an important issue. We may not necessarily agree with it but they do.

Here, in canada, we do not protest or march as much as they do when regarding political or educational changes. They are not afraid of their people so our voices are not as loud.

Don't get me wrong. I think I am fortunate to live in Canada and I am fairly pleased with the education my kids are getting. Mind you, I don't just ant any Joe Blow off the srteet to be able to give it to them.

Like I said before, a degree is not everything. As a teacher, you have to inspire kids and be able to teach the subject. Thats not something that is taught at the universities. Quality education hould mean that everyone is entitled to the same oportunities regardless of class or social status or financial situation. I know I am living in a fantasy world.

But some countries are able to offer free education and they are not bankrupt or in dissaray. They made it work.

There obviously alot of problems and they lie on different levels. From Kindergarden to university.

My motto is: it could be worst.

Puss~in~Boots said:
I’m always up for a good debate.
Okay, here I go.
Yes, schools are underfunded, but please define "not up to today's standard's." What are we judging this by?

As for the comment about teachers, this only happens in rare circumstances. Almost all teachers have a teaching degree (BEd) and the only ones who don't are some specialized tech teachers who get a special Tech teaching degree. We do have a Native language teacher at our school who isn't qualified b/c there's no qualified people to teach that class. They only other instance that I've heard of non-qualified teachers teaching are in some smaller communities where they have a hard time find subsitute teachers. Every teacher in Ontario can be looked up at the College of Teachers:
http://www.oct.ca/PublicRegister/Default.aspx?lang=en-CA
If you look hard enough, you'll find me there  ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back