• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Extracurricular

alx12345

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello there, my name is Alex, i am 21 years old and i have a question about the extracurricular advantage.

I am planning to join RMC for a pilot job in the forces but i don't yet have my high school diploma and i will need about 2 years to complete all the requirement for ROTP.
I know that ROTP is very competitive, and that extracurricular is also very important.
My extracurricular is weak, and i wanna improve it. So far i have done

4 years of swimming lesson
Few months of boxing lesson
1 year of karate
1 year of soccer
About 2 years of cadet
Own a Class 1 semi truck driving license
And worked at 7 different jobs.

I will be studying Full time, so i was wondering what i should do in these 2 years to significally increase my chances to be accepted to RMC?

Thanks

The advice i'd give is, if you can volunteer but in a more leadership role that would be ideal. (I.e a scout leader or a soccer coach or something along those lines). While I was loyal and helped volunteer and a local fair for 8 years it really isn't on par with someone who was leading scouts.

If you can't get into any sort of leadership volunteering, find someone thing you can enjoy.

Getting back in cadet would have been great, but i don't think i can at 21 years old isn't it? Otherwise i am not sure what kind of worthy volunteer/leadership program i could make in 1.5-2 years, nor what is available in my area.

I live right next to Bagotville air base, do you think there is such a volunteer/leadership program i could do in there?

Simple things, not just leadership volunteering, are just as important :).

alx12345 said:
Getting back in cadet would have been great, but i don't think i can at 21 years old isn't it? Otherwise i am not sure what kind of worthy volunteer/leadership program i could make in 1.5-2 years, nor what is available in my area.

I live right next to Bagotville air base, do you think there is such a volunteer/leadership program i could do in there?

Cadets you can only be in from 13-18 once you hit 18 you're to old. I suggest maybe applying to volunteer for a local cadet squadron, I applied at one just so I had something to do every week. They still have yet to get back to me but you may be different.

Yeah that's what i though.
One of my friend was a cadet officer and told me that i could speak to the cadet captain to ask to be a officer student, i doubt there is such a thing but i will ask anyway to be a volunteer or something.

But i was also thinking about being in reserve once i complete my Sec IV, while being also a full time student at adult high school to get my requirement for ROTP.
I know that i cant really ask to be in a ROTP while being in regular forces, but can i if i am in reserve?

And a bit out of topic, i have ADD without hyperactivity, a light Specific language impairment disorder and generalized anxiety disorder (can be cured though).
I have read on this forum that these wont prevent me to go in Canadian forces, but would it bust all my chances to accepted in ROTP for pilot?

alx12345 said:
And a bit out of topic, i have ADD without hyperactivity, a light Specific language impairment disorder and generalized anxiety disorder (can be cured though).
I have read on this forum that these wont prevent me to go in Canadian forces, but would it bust all my chances to accepted in ROTP for pilot?

Best thing I would personally do, if you can, is go to your family doctor to have a note saying you're clear. During the medical they'll probably ask you to get something from your doctor about it. I don't see why it would be a problem, as long as you're a functioning and contributing member of society, you'll be ok. I know because all my brother has ADD except me, and they want to know if they're thriving or not.

Will do, i also had to make a medical test for my semi truck license before, and there was no problem to pass.

Trust me,  you need steel nerves in many situation with a huge 80000lbs 53' trailer, especially in winter, and i never felt affected by ADD, the only real problem is that I'm having harder times on a desk at school unfortunately.

I will wait until the holiday is over, then i will ask my recruiter or maybe the cadet captain to do as much volunteering for the Forces/Cadet i can in the 2 years coming, so i can have a little chance to be accepted and make my lifetime dream comes true.
I should also go visit the Physical Therapist too, i busted my knee 2 years ago because i had a dirtbike crash 2 years ago, i still tend to have pain a day later after effort on my leg.

Back