• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enrollment / Swearing In Ceremony [MERGED]

I think it may have something to do with what I call creeping Americanism. I have nothing against the Americans, but they do many things they do for their own reasons.

In the US, you swear an oath every time you take on a new role, or "office", but that is because their oath is to "uphold the constitution and faithfully discharge the office I am upon to enter". It makes sense for them to swear such undertaking for every office one enters.

In Canada, we simply swear allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen of Canada. It is the same oath every time - no reference to the "office" you are entering. You would think once would be enough. And BTW, notwithstanding what has been said above, I have never heard the oath we are asked to swear make any reference to it being valid "until our retirement" only. My oldest son was sworn in two years ago, and it was just an oath to Her Majesty, no time reference.

When you think about it, that was also curious to see for our current Minister of Defence: He had to swear, again, the same oath of loyalty to the Crown he had already sworn before. And in his case you should be able to add that, as a combat vet and a LCol., he had not only sworn an oath but demonstrated in deeds his devotion to abiding by it. 

Not sure of the current practice BUT when I did a CT last, I was told that, technically (administratively?) I was releasing from the PRES and enrolling in the Reg Force.  It is not just a transfer.  So, on my current Reg Force MPRR, my CD Forecast date is from 1989 and my enrolment date is 2007.  ::)

hey so im being sworn into the reserves this week and was told to dress business casual (no jeans), so does this mean i have to wear a full suit + tie or just dress pants and a dress shirt? and any specific colors or anything? thanks everyone. and what else do they do the day you get sworn in? and this is for the reserves BTW

You don't have to dress in a suit and tie, when I swore in I wore dress pants and a dress shirt but it's personal preference, as for what you do at the ceremony you will sign paper work and swear on the bible or afirm your dedication to the country and queen

This question has been asked and answered many, many times on this website. Please perform a search before posting a new topic in the future.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/97112.0
"What to wear!?" 5 pages

http://army.ca/forums/threads/18141.0
"Sworn in" 4 pages

https://army.ca/forums/threads/13479.0
"When do you get sworn in?"

https://army.ca/forums/threads/32514.0
"What happens when I get sworn in?"

All but one of those threads have now been merged into this one.

Nine pages of fashion advice, but I am certain that that will not be enough for some.

and what else do they do the day you get sworn in?

One thing that they do not do, and I wish that they did, is to teach people how to capitalize, punctuate, spell, and form proper sentences.

Loachman said:
Nine pages of fashion advice, but I am certain that that will not be enough for some.

Wear a sharp suit and knock 'em dead!  :)

Attachments

• o11dmgray-crop.jpg
    o11dmgray-crop.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 293
Loachman said:
All but one of those threads have now been merged into this one.

One thing that they do not do, and I wish that they did, is to teach people how to capitalize, punctuate, spell, and form proper sentences.

Perhaps the 'Recruiting Prerequisites' should be reset to a minimum level of, or equivalent of, a PhD.  With so many High School graduates and university students unable to capitalize, punctuate, spell, nor form proper sentences and paragraphs; then perhaps our education standards are too low. 

What do you Doctors think?    >:D

George Wallace said:
Perhaps the 'Recruiting Prerequisites' should be reset to a minimum level of, or equivalent of, a PhD.  With so many High School graduates and university students unable to capitalize, punctuate, spell, nor form proper sentences and paragraphs; then perhaps our education standards are too low. 

What do you Doctors think?    >:D
I contend that many students are quite adept at grammar. They choose, on occasion, to not use proper grammar. We will continue to work on it.

I just read a very good letter by one of our grade 10 students that had  both excellent form and function.

Don't give up hope ladies and gentlemen. We won't.

mariomike said:
Wear a sharp suit and knock 'em dead!  :)

Mask, snorkel, tuxedo jacket, red speedo, swim fins, goose decoy under the left arm, and axe over the right shoulder.

Guaranteed to get in.

RocketRichard said:
I contend that many students are quite adept at grammar. They choose, on occasion, to not use proper grammar. We will continue to work on it.

I just read a very good letter by one of our grade 10 students that had  both excellent form and function.

Don't give up hope ladies and gentlemen. We won't.

It's funny you say that - a few years ago at my son's grade 11 parent / teacher interviews, we approached his English teacher with some concern regarding his grammar and spelling. In our eyes it was very poor. However, we were assured that the students are taught how to use "spellcheck"... I actually laughed out loud (Lol for those who can't read that properly!!) I thought she was making a joke. Apparently not. Now, my son are military!

Mr. Muggs has no place in the education system anymore!

BinRat55 said:
Now, my son are military!

And now, all your base are belong to us!

Sorry, I couldn't help it...

I was sitting down at our ship's Christmas dinner dance with one of my fellow Sub-Lieutenants and his wife. This is his second career so they have two kids in their teens already, and the discussion regarding spelling came up. I don't know how it started, but essentially his wife said (paraphrasing here) "I don't see the point in spending so much effort teaching kids in school to spell, they have spell check that will take care of that for him."

Now, my initial urge was to say "Are you f***ing serious?". I literally had to hold back the urge to roll my eyes. I looked over at her husband, and it made me feel better to see him rolling his eyes instead!

Spell check will not find everything! Just as a calculator won't. You need to have core skills upon which are based more advanced abilities, like critical thinking and analysis.

Lumber said:
And now, all your base are belong to us!

Sorry, I couldn't help it...

I was sitting down at our ship's Christmas dinner dance with one of my fellow Sub-Lieutenants and his wife. This is his second career so they have two kids in their teens already, and the discussion regarding spelling came up. I don't know how it started, but essentially his wife said (paraphrasing here) "I don't see the point in spending so much effort teaching kids in school to spell, they have spell check that will take care of that for him."

Now, my initial urge was to say "Are you f***ing serious?". I literally had to hold back the urge to roll my eyes. I looked over at her husband, and it made me feel better to see him rolling his eyes instead!

Spell check will not find everything! Just as a calculator won't. You need to have core skills upon which are based more advanced abilities, like critical thinking and analysis.

Heaven forbid, one loses power and has to handraulically calculate or write a few lines on paper.

( NOTE:  Spell Check thinks "handraulically" is incorrect.  Oxford Dictionaries are a little more reputable. )

George Wallace said:
Heaven forbid, one loses power and has to handraulically calculate or write a few lines on paper.

( NOTE:  Spell Check thinks "handraulically" is incorrect.  Oxford Dictionaries are a little more reputable. )

Their their George... they're are tools for just about everything. Hair, let me explain...

Well, I can't really - after trying to write that sentence, my head exploded!!

Thought I might start a thread for those going to BMOQ in January. I know its early but I don't think I am the only one.

yourboat said:
Thought I might start a thread for those going to BMOQ in January. I know its early but I don't think I am the only one.

Hi! Still early in the process for me, but can I ask what your application timeline looked like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at this thread here, it has a lot of application process samples and gives a good idea of general timelines. Everyone's application will move at a different rate due to personal issues (medical issues, CFAT scores, etc.) and bureaucratic issues (e.g., busier than normal recruiting centre, preference being given to RMC applicants at certain times of year). My only key suggestion is to take it one step at a time and don't get discouraged when you get bad news or things seem to be taking a lot longer than normal.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/13064.0.html

yourboat said:
Thought I might start a thread for those going to BMOQ in January.

Sorcerers said:
Still early in the process for me, but can I ask what your application timeline looked like?

It's in his signature,

Recruiting Centre: London
Regular/ Reserve: Reg
Officer/NCM: DEO
Trade choice 1: Aerospace Control
Trade choice 2: MARS
Trade choice 3: Intelligence
Applied: 30 June 2015
CFRC Contact: 6 July 2015
CFAT written: 23 July 2015
Medical: 15 Sept 2015
Interview: 15 Sept 2015
Background Check: --COMPLETE--
MOST: 4 Nov2015
Aircrew Selection: 9 Mar 2016
Merit Listed: August 2016
Position offered: 26 Aug 2016 (AEC)
Swearing in: 5 Jan 2017
BMOQ: 16 Jan 2017

Hi yourboat! Thanks for starting the thread for this BMOQ date. I have the same start date heading there for MARS DEO. [:)

BlueAngels14 said:
Hi yourboat! Thanks for starting the thread for this BMOQ date. I have the same start date heading there for MARS DEO. [:)

Excellent, looks like your application took about as long as mine to process as well.

Back