• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

I'd suggest that now is a good time to "show the flag" and wear your uniform to/from work on the TTC.  I think you'd be surprised at the positive reaction.

I'm conflicted on the issue, although it'll be a little difficult to hide the fact I'm a member tomorrow regardless when I take the subway carrying a fully loaded ruck and my FFO for the exercise this weekend.

George Wallace said:
OK.  The CDS was on CTV today and his statements were to the effect that it is OK to wear your uniform to and from work, at work, etc.  It is NOT OK to wear your uniform to go shopping after work, or to a restaurant or bar after work.  A little common sense goes a long way even if we have seen that common sense is not always so common.

In the name of safety, it's gone as far as barring cadets and junior rangers from wearing uniforms until Monday...as reported in the MSM.

CBC Radio is reporting that the firearm used in the shooting was a Winchester 30-30 lever action rifle. The shooter was prohibited from owning any firearms. So it will be interesting to see where he obtained the rifle.

kratz said:
In the name of safety, it's gone as far as barring cadets and junior rangers from wearing uniforms until Monday...as reported in the MSM.

While I believe that CF members should wear uniforms, I believe this is prudent for folks like Cadets.  We've signed on the dotted line to defend our country with our lives if necessary (and all of the consequences therein), they haven't. 

My comment was an observation.

No criticism intended toward the decision.

"Canadian Muslim groups denounce violence, brace for backlash following Ottawa shooting"
Representatives of major Canadian Muslim groups gathered in Ottawa today to reiterate their denunciation of terrorism in the name of Islam at a news conference in Ottawa, even as fear of harassment and violence grows in the Muslim-Canadian community.

“Our message to anyone who believes in violent extremist ideologies is that you have nothing to do with Islam,” said Ihsaan Gardee, the executive director of the National Council of Canadian Muslims and one of several speakers at Thursday’s event. “You have nothing to do with the noble principles of our faith, which categorically condemn the taking of innocent life.”

( .... )

Muslim community leaders, who placed a wreath at the National War Memorial where the fatal shooting took place, spoke with numerous media outlets as well as other Ottawans about what had taken place in the city, with Imam Sikander Hashmi of the Kanata Muslim Association telling Postmedia News that it was “a very emotional day.”

“Obviously there’s a lot of sadness and perhaps some anger as well,” Hashmi said in a phone interview. “This is my country. I haven’t lived anywhere else and I call this home, so for someone to spread bloodshed and violence in my homeland, I don’t take that very kindly. I take great offence to that.”  ....
B0pxWUhIEAAcvzU.jpg

National Council of Canadian Muslims statement attached.

Retired AF Guy said:
CBC Radio is reporting that the firearm used in the shooting was a Winchester 30-30 lever action rifle. The shooter was prohibited from owning any firearms. So it will be interesting to see where he obtained the rifle.

Yes indeed.  Reports say that he was living in the Ottawa Mission/Shelter near the U of O for the last week or so and I am sure that the management did not permit firearms on the premises.

I would venture a guess that some hunter somewhere had his 30-30 stolen at some point from his home. Unless he stole it himself, it was probably all he could afford. Assaulting parliament with a lever action rifle smells of desperation and an ill conceived plan.

ps. apologies for the earlier questions. I will show more restraint in the future.

Sigh one of my friends from way back is questioning whether Cpl Nathan Cirillo existed or was made up.

Colin P said:
Sigh one of my friends from way back is questioning whether Cpl Nathan Cirillo existed or was made up.
Sadly, he's not alone -- here's an "alternative" version of events .....
.... It is very likely that the recent attacks in Canada involved at least one "informant" working for the FBI. Because the FBI uses confidential informants to handle suspects, if a plot is switched "live," the informant will be implicated as an accomplice and the FBI's covert role will remain uncompromised.

Everything from a mass shooting to a bombing, and even an Operation Northwoods-style false flag attack involving aircraft could be employed to provide Wall Street and London with the support it needs to accelerate its long-stalled agenda of regime change and reordering in both Syria and across the Iranian arc of influence ....
More folks believing the government did this to make it easier to take away individual liberties and look after mysterious business interests on Twitter here.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

Colin P said:

Well I'm pretty sure that a few fact checkers at the Argyles' armouries would be more than willing to correct that misconception. 

I shake my head sometimes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/10/23/nathan-cirillo-dogs-photos_n_6037358.html

tomahawk6 said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/10/23/nathan-cirillo-dogs-photos_n_6037358.html

That's real sad. I took a look through his @ncitaly Instragram account and he looked like a great man.

tomahawk6 said:

The owner - pet bond is strong.

You can't tell me that they don't know something is wrong.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/23/canada-police-ottawa-gunman-video-passport-motive

Video of the shooter getting into centre block.

I just wanted to note that with all the talk about immigration and certain types of immigrants being responsible for these issues earlier in this thread, that both of these incidents were caused by Canadians, born and bred, here in Canada...

Let the xenophobia begin??  Whether we like it or not, there's a bit of it in everyone which we need to keep in check with some sound reasoning and checking of facts...

Back