• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

More rooting into the "why?" - highlights mine:
The lawyer for the man who ran down two soldiers south of Montreal this week, killing one of them, described her client as a "very calm, even friendly" man.

"There was no indication that he would do such a thing," said Patricia Gauthier, who was representing 25-year-old Martin Couture-Rouleau in a child custody case.

Couture-Rouleau alleged his ex-wife was preventing him from being able to see their child because he had converted to Islam in April 2013.

"The applicant is Muslim and believes (his former wife) refuses him access to (their child) for that reason alone," court documents filed Oct. 14 say.

He and his former spouse were due in court Nov. 5.

Gauthier said her client's change in faith was "a way for him to see life as he pleased. He never seemed violent."

Couture-Rouleau, who changed his first name to Ahmad, also had financial problems.

He was living with his father in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, near Montreal, when he declared bankruptcy in February. He was part owner of an industrial cleaning company that was not doing well, and he owed nearly $22,000, but had just $452 in his bank account, QMI Agency has learned.

On Facebook and Twitter, he used the names Ahmad Rouleau and Abu Ibrahim AlCanadi. His Twitter profile photo was the ISIS flag. A Facebook page believed to be Couture-Rouleau's included verses from the Qur'an about fighting for Allah, as well as Islamist YouTube clips.

But that alone wasn't enough to have him charged with anything, police said.

Mounties confirmed Tuesday they took Couture-Rouleau's passport after he tried to fly to Turkey, a common transit point for Westerners who want to go to Syria. Police tried to have his parents and his imam from the Al-Imane mosque in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu talk to him. Even after meeting with him as recently as Oct. 9, police did not think he was a threat ....

My condolences to the fallen warrior and his family.Prayers for a speedy recovery for the injured soldier. :salute:

Breaking news, from CBC Radio: A CF soldier has been shot in Ottawa, at the National War Memorial.

Edit to add:

An image (from Twitter) of paramedics arriving:

B0jnuNDIUAEAEPv.jpg

John Ivison (National Post) Tweets that it "Looks like one of the soldiers on guard at the war memorial was shot."

Further edit to add another image, credited to the Globe and Mail:

B0jsF-NIMAEiCDY.jpg:large

And reports, on CBC News, that shots have been fired on the Hill.

Ottawa police sending in tactical squad. Social media said it was soldier. No official confirmation.

Ok, confirmed DND soldier

edit: reporter saw chest wound on solider, also wearing kilt.
edit: 2 shootings reported

Do they have cameras looking from different angles at the monument property?

Hopefully I'm not wrong and I wish the Soldier a safe and speedy recovery :salute:

Live radio is reporting shooter not yet in custody and there are reports he ran towards Parliament Hill. He was armed with a rifle.

No Shooter in custody.

Possibly now on Parliament Hill, which is now on Lock Down.

Shooter has long hair, wearing a long scarf.  (fairly vague discription)  Armed with a long rifle.

Unconfirmed reports of shots fired at different locations.  (Possibly just folks hearing echos of shots fired at the War Memorial)

Police and Paramedics have not responded to other locations.

Shooter reported to have got in a vehicle, and drove to East Block where he ran into Parliament buildings. 

Prime Minister's motorcade has left Parliament Hill as part of his planned trip to Toronto.

Swat Teams at Parliament Hill.

Live CTV coverage at: http://www.ctvnews.ca/live?autoPlay=true

Live feed shows Paramedics taking a Cpl from the Cameron Highlanders off on a stretcher and performing CPR on him.

Live CBC coverage at:  http://www.cbc.ca/player/LiveStreams/News/ID/2396780283/

recceguy said:
Do they have cameras looking from different angles at the monument property?
I hope there are, but there may be more cameras pointed the other way, towards where the government works.
recceguy said:
I wish the Soldier a safe and speedy recovery :salute:
Same -  :salute:

Live reports on CBC Radio Ottawa are saying that the gunman then went to Parliament Hill, hijacked a car on the hill, drove up to centre block & went inside.  They are saying he has now been killed.  There may be others.

And so it begins.  A speedy recovery to the Cameron.  Hope the shooter is dead.

I'm hearing/reading: one killed and one other arrested. Journalists are very, very confused.

Just heard it is not a Cameron. Likely working on the national sentry task.

Still in scramble phase, Twitter is a a mess and filled with junk, live cams don't show anything.  And news outlets are releasing conflicting information.

E.R. Campbell said:
I'm hearing/reading: one killed and one other arrested. Journalists are very, very confused.

First reports are ususally confused and at odds with other reports.

Is the other sentry accounted for? A media report suggests he took off... After the shooter or someplace else?

Back