• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

Concise round-up by the Toronto Star re:  what media is saying:
1. Martin Rouleau, 25, rammed two soldiers with his Nissan Altima in the parking lot outside the Integrated Personnel Support Centre in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu south of Montreal One died Tuesday of his injuries. The other has minor injuries.

2. Police shot and killed Martin Rouleau, 25, of Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, after Rouleau’s car flipped during a police chase about four kilometres from the town.

3. Rouleau “was known to authorities” and “authorities were concerned that he had become radicalized,” RCMP spokesman David Falls said.

4. Friends told the Star’s Allan Woods he became obsessed with practising Islam and reading news from the Middle East after he said his industrial cleaning company had been robbed about 18 months ago and he felt police failed to investigate.

5. Rouleau’s Twitter account followed what Allan Woods characterizes as “a number of ISIS-related users whose focus is the attempt to establish an Islamic caliphate in Syria and Iraq.” The Canadian fighter jets and support planes being sent to Iraq to join a coalition launching airstrikes against the Islamic State are scheduled to start leaving Canadian Forces Base Cold Lake today.
Rouleau's Twitter account has no posts of his own, but here's a list of who he was following.

don't have a twitter account to see who he was following...
Any names worth note in there?

cryco said:
don't have a twitter account to see who he was following...
Any names worth note in there?
No names that stand out specifically, but mostly other Twitter accounts sharing "the word" about the ISIS-ISIL fight.  Here's a public Twitter list (you shouldn't need an account) showing all the posts of who he would have followed - you'll get the feel quickly enough.

thanks.
Looking through it kinda gives me mixed feelings: sad that people can so corrupt and twist religious teachings and angry that these people exist and feel sorry for some of them that actually turn to this to give some meaning to their lives. How low one can get to take that path.

I also offer my condolences the family and friends of the deceased soldier and a speedy recovery to the injured one.

cryco said:
Looking through it kinda gives me mixed feelings: sad that people can so corrupt and twist religious teachings and angry that these people exist and feel sorry for some of them that actually turn to this to give some meaning to their lives. How low one can get to take that path.

Unfortunately, the fundamentals of that religion are towards world domination.  There are NO moderate Muslims

George Wallace said:
Unfortunately, the fundamentals of that religion are towards world domination.  There are NO moderate Muslims.

omg, I saw that video, that is ridiculous. On a personal note, i did not observe that behavior from a group of muslims I played ball hockey with. 3 years and no evidence of that. They had more liberal points of view (probably still homophobic, but that's not limited to islam)
i don't want to derail this thread so I won't add anymore.

This just out from the PM's office:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement in response to a deadly incident that occurred in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec:

“I learned with shock and sadness yesterday that two Canadian Armed Forces members from Canadian Forces Base Saint-Jean Garrison were hit by a man who, according to our national security services, had become radicalized.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Laureen and I offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the CAF member who succumbed to injuries caused by this vicious event.  We also offer our prayers for the recovery of the member who was injured. I would also like to thank first responders on the scene for their efforts.

“Finally, I want to express that the authorities can count on our full support in order to get to the bottom of this terrible act.”

Condolences to the fallen, and wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured.

George Wallace said:
Unfortunately, the fundamentals of that religion are towards world domination.  There are NO moderate Muslims.

I know some moderate Muslims who would disagree with you.  :)    Extremism exists in most creeds, and in those of no creed.  Let's not make this into an anti-religion or anti-any particular religion polemic - instead, let's focus our attention on the behaviour itself, and examining how individuals end up going down that dark path.

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of the fallen soldier.  :salute:    I can't imagine their anguish. 

This from the Minister of Defence:
“It was with tremendous sorrow that I learned of the death of a Canadian Armed Forces member who succumbed to his injuries after being the victim of a hit-and-run yesterday in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec.

“Our thoughts are with the member’s family, friends and colleagues, and we will do whatever we can to provide assistance in their time of need. Another CAF member, injured in the same tragedy, remains in hospital. We wish him a full and fast recovery as we extend our support to the member and his family.

“We are aware that the suspect was known to police and federal authorities although the circumstances remain under investigation.

“The Canadian Armed Forces has contributed greatly to the safety and security of those at home and abroad  and has provided the hope of a better future to those who have known horror and death. Our CAF members represent the best of Canada, and to have one die in a senseless act such as this only strengthens our resolve. We will not forget.”

Name of the victim now released.

R.I.P. Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, and condolences to family, friends and all those who knew him well.

And this from the CDS:
“Yesterday, two members of the Canadian Armed Forces were injured in a hit-and-run incident in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. One member later died in hospital.

“Our hearts go out to the family, friends and colleagues of the member and the Canadian Armed Forces are supporting them in their time of grief. We wish our injured colleague a speedy recovery, and we offer our unwavering support to his family as he recuperates.

“The suspect fled the scene of the incident and was pursued by police. This pursuit ended in the death of the suspect. There has been speculation that this hit-and-run may have been a possible terror attack directed at our members. Police are investigating this incident and will make a determination once their investigation is concluded.

“The safety and well-being of Canadian Armed Forces members is a primary concern. Security measures are in place at every Canadian Armed Forces installation across Canada. We continually adapt these measures to meet the demands of an evolving security environment, and we will remain vigilant against possible threats.”

My sincere condolences to the family, all it takes is a few seconds to undo many years.

Unfortunately, a reactionary decision has already been handed down. Staff and students of a brigade battleschool have been ordered to wear civilian attire to and from work as well as any time in public.

acen said:
Unfortunately, a reactionary decision has already been handed down. Staff and students of a brigade battleschool have been ordered to wear civilian attire to and from work as well as any time in public.
We haven't heard of this out west yet. I refuse to run scared and NOT wear a uniform I've worn for over thirty years.

Be vigilant and report as necessary.

We did the civvy dress thing for a while during the Gulf War as well, in Ottawa at least.  Then a few years later, when I had occasion to visit a U.S. base for the first time, it was almost a relief being in such a flag-waving culture, where the uniform was seen openly & with pride.  I thus came to realize a psychological effect of having to "hide" our profession.  Personal impression only. 

Commanders should take steps necessary to ensure safety, but if that involves hiding CAF uniforms, I hope that doesn't last too long. 

Not a fan of the civy dress thing either.  This might sound weird but when I'm in uniform I tend to have a higher sense of what's going on around me, who's looking at me at how I'm comporting myself.  More self awareness as it were.  Let's not give this loser (a dead one at that) any validity to what he did or that his actions will change our way of doing things.  Vigilance yes.  Decisions based on fear no. 

My concern though is that more of these closet whackos are going to try and pull off something similar.

I agree with all of you however IF going home in civvies keeps my family safer I'm not going to argue.

acen said:

I am a new recruit, but im proud of my uniform, and i my oppinion not being allow to wear or uniform outside of work is losing the battle. I joined for pride and honor, and hiding my uniform is nothing more than being a coward and ashamed of the uniform.. Of course there are more things behind the policy, but thats my point of view and i just wanted to put it out there.

"Lets not forget" our follen bothers and sisters :salute:

Crantor said:
This might sound weird but when I'm in uniform I tend to have a higher sense of what's going on around me, who's looking at me at how I'm comporting myself.  More self awareness as it were. 

That doesn't sound weird at all; I remember the same heightened awareness.

Again, sincere condolences to WO Vincent's family and friends. 

acen said:

What a shitty knee-jerk reaction. 

Back