• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

And this from the Toronto Police Service (also attached in case link doesn't work):
Man faces five charges following incident at Joseph Shephard Building, 4900 Yonge Street

Broadcast time: 10:51
Tuesday, March 15, 2016

32 Division
416-808-3200

Case #: 443332

On Monday, March 14, 2016, at 2:45 p.m., police were called to 4900 Yonge Street for a man with a large knife who was threatening people.

It is alleged that:

- a man entered the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre and stabbed a soldier
- the man was restrained by several soldiers
- during the struggle, a second soldier received a stab wound

Ayanie Hassan Ali, 27, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with:

1) two counts of Assault with a weapon
2) Attempt Murder
3) Weapons Dangerous
4) Aggravated Assault

He is scheduled to appear in court at 1000 Finch Avenue West on Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 2 p.m., room 306.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637) ...

Attachments

• Toronto Police Service __ News Release #34243.pdf
    131.3 KB · Views: 126
Bucky said:
Sane people don't attack a large group of military personnel with a knife. Hardly the brilliant plot of some terrorist mastermind.

Ummmm?  One guy at a front desk (I am thinking from the reports) does not constitute a "large group of military personnel", even if you take into fact that there are cubicle dwellers somewhere nearby.

Bucky said:
In  my experience, your racist uncle is also fiercely islamophobic.

I am still confused as to why you are bringing "race" into this discussion?  I am getting the impression that you are one of Kathleen Wynne's Liberals who use "racist" to describe anyone who disagrees with their views.  Religion and Race are not one and the same.

Well, this is a lively thread. I've visited a CFRC recently and one would be very 'unwise' to take on the Sr. NCO's at the front desk...
Quick recovery to the injured troops.

An update from CP24 in Toronto:

http://www.cp24.com/news/police-suspect-in-military-recruitment-office-stabbing-said-allah-told-me-to-do-this-1.2817553

Video and photos on link.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.
Police: suspect in military recruitment office stabbing said 'Allah told me to do this'
Chris Fox, CP24.com
Published Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:30AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:01PM EDT

A 27-year-old man who allegedly slashed two uniformed Canadian Forces members at a recruitment office in North York on Monday claimed that “Allah told me to come here and kill people,” police say.

The suspect, who was born in Montreal and moved to Toronto five years ago, walked into the office on Yonge Street near Greenfield Avenue at around 3 p.m.

Once inside, police say the suspect walked past a master corporal who was stationed at the door of the office and then slashed him on his right arm with a “large knife” when he tried to stop the suspect.

The suspect then allegedly continued into the office and attempted to slash a female uniformed Canadian Forces member, who escaped injury.

Military personnel were then able to corral civilian applicants in a safe location and subdue the suspect until police arrived.
A second uniformed member did suffer non-life-threatening knife injuries while subduing the suspect.

At this point a motive for the attack has not yet been determined but Police Chief Mark Saunders says he can’t rule out terrorism.
Provincial police, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service have all been notified
“We are certainly looking into it and that is why we are working in concert with other agencies to determine exactly what is going on,” Saunders told reporters at police headquarters on Tuesday morning. “There has to be a lot of analysis done so we can have a full and proper picture on what exactly motivated this act.”

Saunders said the suspect uttered the words “Allah told me to do this. Allah told me to come here and kill people” at the scene, however it is not clear whether he did so during or after the attack.

Right now, Saunders said police are trying to find out more about the suspect, including whether he may have travelled to any foreign countries where he could have been radicalized.

The suspect has, however, been “unresponsive” to questioning so far, according to Saunders.
The suspect does not have a prior criminal record.

“Certain comments were made that would fit a profile but there needs to be more to support (that the stabbing was an act of terrorism). You can’t just do that based on one statement,” Saunders said. “Today there is nothing to indicate that the accused was working with anyone or acting in concert with any organization.”

As police continue to search for a possible motive for the stabbing, Saunders said officers are eager to speak with anyone who saw the suspect yesterday or are otherwise aware of his activities.

Meanwhile, Saunders said he is asking his officers “be more vigilant” in the wake of the attack.

“We have exercised our due diligence by making sure our officers are aware and are being more vigilant in certain areas of the city and making sure that if they see suspicious activity they investigate it,” he said.

Victims released from hospital

The two Canadian forces members who were injured in Monday’s attack have both been released from hospital and are now recuperating at home.

Speaking with reporters on Tuesday morning, the commanding office of the recruitment centre said that it is largely “business as usual” today.

“They (members) are prepared to do their duties. Obviously it is not something we see on a daily basis but they are professional,” Major Richard Silva said.

Silva was asked whether the military was on any elevated alert leading up to Monday’s attack, however he refused to comment. He did, however, say that officials at the North York office “had not observed any unusual activities” in the days and weeks before the stabbing.

Ayanie Hassan Ali, 27, is charged with attempted murder, two counts of assault with a weapon, weapons dangerous and aggravated assault.

Ali is expected to appear in court at Finch Avenue West this afternoon.

Bucky said:
Sane people don't attack a large group of military personnel with a knife. Hardly the brilliant plot of some terrorist mastermind.

Sane people also don't burn people alive in cages, keep children as sex slaves, and behead non-believers, but we're cool with calling ISIL terrorists, right?

I'll also quote for you the relevant Criminal Code of Canada definition of "terrorist activity" 83.01 (1) -

(b) an act or omission, in or outside Canada,

(i) that is committed

(A) in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause, and

(B) in whole or in part with the intention of intimidating the public, or a segment of the public, with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act, whether the public or the person, government or organization is inside or outside Canada, and

(ii) that intentionally

(A) causes death or serious bodily harm to a person by the use of violence,

(B) endangers a person’s life,

(C) causes a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or any segment of the public,

(D) causes substantial property damage, whether to public or private property, if causing such damage is likely to result in the conduct or harm referred to in any of clauses (A) to (C), or

(E) causes serious interference with or serious disruption of an essential service, facility or system, whether public or private, other than as a result of advocacy, protest, dissent or stoppage of work that is not intended to result in the conduct or harm referred to in any of clauses (A) to (C),

and includes a conspiracy, attempt or threat to commit any such act or omission, or being an accessory after the fact or counselling in relation to any such act or omission, but, for greater certainty, does not include an act or omission that is committed during an armed conflict and that, at the time and in the place of its commission, is in accordance with customary international law or conventional international law applicable to the conflict, or the activities undertaken by military forces of a state in the exercise of their official duties, to the extent that those activities are governed by other rules of international law. (activité terroriste)

The CCC is pretty clear. You can sign up to be his defense attorney and proclaim him not psychologically fit to stand trial. The facts are, he linked himself to a religious ideology that attempted to cause death or serious bodily harm (just because he's terrible at knife fighting doesn't change that), so what he did can be defined as a terrorist attack.

ayanie-hassan-ali.jpg

Ayanie Hassan Ali

PuckChaser said:
Sane people also don't burn people alive in cages, keep children as sex slaves, and behead non-believers, but we're cool with calling ISIL terrorists, right?

I'll also quote for you the relevant Criminal Code of Canada definition of "terrorist activity" 83.01 (1) -

The CCC is pretty clear. You can sign up to be his defense attorney and proclaim him not psychologically fit to stand trial. The facts are, he linked himself to a religious ideology that attempted to cause death or serious bodily harm (just because he's terrible at knife fighting doesn't change that), so what he did can be defined as a terrorist attack.
lets wait for the facts to come out.

I have no problem calling him a terrorist if there isn't any evidence that he's mentally ill or bi polar, low functioning, ect.

But we cannot say with 100 confidence that he isn't and all we are doing is speculating.

Sheep Dog AT said:
Ok, I'll lessen it to assualt and attempted assualt with a deadly weapon.  Whether it was in regards to a relgious vendetta, drug money, or insanity; I don't think motive matters.  To me an incident is Jay walking.

Bugger that, leave that to the appeasers and apologists (of which there are plenty coming out of the woodwork already)

As posted by milnews:

Ayanie Hassan Ali, 27, is charged with attempted murder, two counts of assault with a weapon, weapons dangerous and aggravated assault.

Ali is expected to appear in court at Finch Avenue West this afternoon.

Altair said:

I have no problem calling him a terrorist if there isn't any evidence that he's mentally ill or bi polar, low functioning, ect.

But we cannot say with 100 confidence that he isn't and all we are doing is speculating.

You and I have some rather different views of what a "terrorist" is.  For the most part, I am of the opinion that a vast majority of terrorists are suffering one form or another of Mental Illness.  That does not excuse them for what they are.

Altair said:

Speculating is speculating, whether you think he's a terrorist or you think he's mentally ill.

Even Trudeau has made the link to a terror/hate motiviation: https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/709772306801778688

:pop:

Ever work "front desk" at a Recruiting Detachment?  You get to meet some pretty interesting people but you always hope, they aren't as interesting as this guy.

The world will never know his "true" motivation for doing this and or why he chose that location to do it.  He just did......

Personally, I couldn't care less, I'd still be standing proud at the "front desk" ready to serve the next customer.  That's just what "we" do......

Altair said:
I thought you had me on ignore. I guess not.  It's a simple solution to a simple problem.

I do, but as a Mod, it's incumbent on me to check everyone. You get checked when I see tons of posts from you and a whole bunch of others disagreeing. Besides, most have learned to quote you (for posterity) in their posts, so I still get to read them anyway. ;D

Hope that solves your misunderstanding ;)

---Staff---

Altair said:
I thought you had me on ignore. I guess not.  It's a simple solution to a simple problem.

No. You are not getting it here.

I have been doing a lot of defending of your posts, and some others in the same vein. I have also called out other folks for how they reply to you, and have suggested the same thing - put you on ignore. I am fine doing this most of the time.

Not today.

I don't have a hard time making a leap from A to B when we have military members, in uniform, attacked where they work. Sorry. That doesn't make me a Stephen Harper smooching, knuckle dragging neanderthal - it makes me fucking logical. Especially given that we are doing this speculating on a military themed forum.

Enough chewing up of bandwidth trying to drill down as far as we can go with diagnoses of mental illness or quoting the CCC to see if this guy is a shithead terrorist. I don't give a fuck and it's rather useless caring.

Not all people who attack military members and use Allah's name in the commission of their crime(s) are terrorist. The group grants this.

Not all people who attack military members and use Allah's name in the commission of their crime(s) are mentally ill. The group gets this.

Debating either any further is more time wasting.

Thoughts with the injured members, their families, friends and colleagues.

Scott
Staff

PuckChaser said:

Sane people ostensibly also wouldn't pack women and children into gas chambers, but to my knowledge no one's been weeping about mass insanity among the Nazis. Thus I'm perfectly fine calling these people terrorists, war criminals, and whatever is applicable to whichever group we're talking about.

That aside though, people with an already shaky grip on reality can fall prey to messianic messaging, and ISIL is good at those. To me there is a difference between a sane individual hooked into ISIL networks and carrying out their orders (either specific or just of the "attack nonbelievers" variety) and some wacko deciding that Allah is speaking to him from the internets. Looks like it remains TBD which one this guy falls into.

Altair said:

While some organizations do make such distinctions(we had a friend declare 2 IRA men mentally unfit to stand trial and she was threatened by the IRA to declare them sane), in fact Islamic terror organization have a habit of using the mentally ill or incompetent to conduct attacks. Someone here could be deemed mentally ill, but still capable of understanding exactly what they were doing. Also unlike AQ, the ISIS organization believes in encouraging Lone wolf attacks and tells the faithful to attack wherever and whenever possible. So technically if he is capable of selecting the target correctly and saying why he is doing it, then I am happy to support his beliefs by trying his sorry ass under terrorism charges. 

John Tescione said:
Again, as I said above.  My street has more people living on it, than the entire population of the town you live in.

It is an incident.  No different than if the nut job stabbed two people on the street.  And they are not serious wounds, they are out now. IT would never been reported if my neighbour was attacked.

There's a huge difference between two homeless dudes getting in a fight and one of them getting stabbed and someone targeting a CAF recruitment building and attacking uniformed soldiers inside while talking about Allah.

Jarnhamar said:
There's a huge difference between two homeless dudes getting in a fight and one of them getting stabbed and someone targeting a CAF recruitment building and attacking uniformed soldiers inside while talking about Allah.

Oh please.

Stop making this out to be our Charlie Hebdo.

A nutter, in a city that holds millions, walked into a building and Cut two people in uniform.

Why are people like you so hoping for a major Terrorist incident? So we can be like the others? 

John Tescione said:
Oh please.
A nutter, in a city that holds millions, walked into a building and Cut two people in uniform.
Why are people like you so hoping for a major Terrorist incident? So we can be like the others?

:goodpost:

4900 Yonge houses more than just the Recruiting Centre.  It's a pretty big building and open to the public.

John Tescione said:
Oh please.

He's not wrong...

Back