• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do they issue swimming trunks at basic or would I have to bring my own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
swim trucks?  :eek:

When I was in USMC Basic they just tossed us into the pool in our utilities (CAMIES - BDUs), along with our 782 web gear, helmet and rifle.  God help you if you let go of your rifle ...  drowning was ok, dropping your rifle wasn't.

Well it wasn't that bad each time we went to the pool, that was just the final test.  before that is was just BDUs, interesting how you can use your pants as a flotation device.

Canadian combats are a bit looser weave, does it work with them?

hehehe I remember the "Rock Swimmers"  those where the ones that once they jumped in they went right to the bottom....

Spent a lot of time on board US Navy ships, too much for my comfort....  All those "man overboard drills"  they seemed to be a good idea, until someone actually did fall over at night, they didn't even bother to slow down,  Time to freeze in the north Atlantic was shorter then the time to turn around and preform the search.... sucked to be him watching the running lights fade....

Later they found out he didn't fall, but was pushed, I think the two guys that tossed him are still busting rocks in Leavenworth Kansas Federal Pen.  The Captain let they walk free a few hours before locking in the brig.  Seems they "fell down" quite a few times before reaching the Brig.  Personally they should have tossed them over too, but that would have been a bit too much to explain.  The broken bones, cuts, lost teeth the Captain can "explain" with "rough water" in his report.

Do they do the CF swim test in swim trunks on REG force basic, or are they just for swim PT?

I just did the CF swim test last night, wearing combats (sans boots, because of pool regs).  I also heard the some places use rubber rifles, if available?

Having done a swim test in both OD and CADPAT, I did notice that the CADPAT seems to weigh a bit more...

Cpl Thompson said:
Quote from: Ghostwalk on September 28, 2004, 01:50:57
On basic, will anybody see me naked?

Yes.
Get Over it.....

Did you read Ghostwalk's profile before answering this question?

Ghostwalk, your sarcasm wasn't lost on me, well done you.  ;D

Cheers

I havent been in a pool in 10 years.  I hope swimming is like riding a bike and you can't forget how to do it.  Otherwise, it's kiddie pool for petty cadet Fogpatrol.

Inch said:
Did you read Ghostwalk's profile before answering this question?

Ghostwalk, your sarcasm wasn't lost on me, well done you.   ;D

Cheers

Whoops.....  :-[

hmmm... maybe in future I should stop replying to posts after ive been up for 23 hours....... it seems my brain no longer functions effectively by that point... My Apologies....  :-[

thank god for no speedos.

edit: just realized how old this thread actually is :-\

I'm looking forward to the swimming part of BMQ... I never got to do in the reserves.

lol i thought that question was serious at first too.

"Will they see me naked" or whatever lmao.

Any normal person who took P.E throughout highschool is used to showering with a bunch of other guys naked.
We had the odd kid who would shower with swimming trunks on, that was always a riot.

I took PE in school, but we had seperate showers, so thank god for that. And well, when at the swimming pool or gym changerooms I never look below anyones shoulders anyway, and from what I've been hearing, Borden has seperate showers, but I can't confirm that until I go there myself.

As for speedos, yes there's none... well at Borden anyway. It says bring your own swimwear, NO SPEEDOS ALLOWED. So I guess the girls won't have a laugh after all :p

I'm worried about the grey shorts for PT, I tend to sweat alot while exercising in one particular area if you catch my drift.

Anytime I go into the showers their I'm just going to keep my head up staring at the roof.

Thankfully I cant see two feet in front of me, with out my glasses; and I don't plan on showering with them on.  :D

I was issued the blue speedo in '87, about a size too small. Had to lead the warmup during a session of pool PT and one of the boys tried to escape. :D

The old female suit wasn't much better; super tight across the chest but baggy in the stomach/waist area. I guess the CF thought all females were pear shaped back in the day....

I would expect during basic that you would be required to wear the issue suit. I also hope that the fit & finish on the issue suits has improved since then.

Swim test was done in coveralls, combat boots, green web belt and (I think) helmet.

DG

And I quote:

1. This document is to prepare you for your upcoming Basic Military Qualification training at CFB Borden.

Annex A
1 November 2004

It is advisible to bring the following personal items with you prior to arriving in Borden. If you have not brought them with you, your instructors will direct you to the CANEX to make these purchaes.

r. bathing suit (Speedo type suits are not permitted)

Note that these are instructions for the Naval Reserve Training Division in CFB Borden.

get over it, troops. You will see other men naked. Other men will see you naked. I have seen more naked men than Ron Jeremy has naked women. When I shower at work, I simply walk up to the door, throw my soap in, and kick it across the shower floor. Whoever it lands under, gets a friendly visit.

I have a buddy who does the same thing, except he walks across the shower bent over to pick it up. Another friend does jumping jacks in the shower or change room. Naked.

Other trades, I find, are freaked out very easily. So, if the shower is crowded, I rip my clothes off, and offer to wrestle anybody. Room usually clears out pretty fast. 

If you're a homophobe, Army life can get pretty rough. Wait until you spend a night cuddling with a large, hairy, tattooed man all night to stay warm.

paracowboy said:
If you're a homophobe, Army life can get pretty rough. Wait until you spend a night cuddling with a large, hairy, tattooed man all night to stay warm.

I didn't know my ex-husband had joined the military :D

it's actually worse when you're being cuddled by a large, hairy, tattooed woman.

paracowboy said:
it's actually worse when you're being cuddled by a large, hairy, tattooed woman.

I guess it's unlikely I'll be cuddling up with a hot woman?

Bo said:
I guess it's unlikely I'll be cuddling up with a hot woman?
y'know that avatar you got there? I ain't seen a woman in the CF yet, looked anything like that. A few from other armies, but not ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back