• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEU Questions

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone know the placement measurements for rank on the shoulder of the army DEU uniform?

http://army.ca/forums/threads/21745.0.html

The junction at the top of the inside of the top hook of the rankr chevrons (if you are an NCM) should be 6 1/2 inches below the shoulder seam.

CF Dress Instructions:

http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/LFCA/143000440005474/CANADIAN_FORCES_DRES.PDF

Don't you just love the search function Chris?

Just a Sig Op said:
Anyone know the placement measurements for rank on the shoulder of the army DEU uniform?

On the shoulder?,, or on the arm?

For Sgts and below:  Centred on both sleeves, with the top of the "V" of the uppermost chevron 7 inches below the shoulder seam.  If you are female,, then it is 6".

Sig_Des said:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/21745.0.html

The junction at the top of the inside of the top hook of the rankr chevrons (if you are an NCM) should be 6 1/2 inches below the shoulder seam.

CF Dress Instructions:

http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/LFCA/143000440005474/CANADIAN_FORCES_DRES.PDF

Don't you just love the search function Chris?

Not all of us are at work...  so no access to the DIN... of course, some of us are also lazy and/or forgetful in terms of searching... either way, thanks.

Any uniform tips for DEU's that anyone can share?

Like best way to iron pants... polish boots... belt buckels.. buttons... how to get your tunic lent free.. tricks of the trade from the pros. Show us how, so we can look professional on the drill floor too.

My tip, I guess, is for polishing metals.. use Autosol... Brasso isn't as good.

Anyone else?

Dry Clean, spit polish with parade gloss and use a lint brush.

For a perfect crease with your dress shirts use a steady hand and fishing line.  If you screw up the first time there is no going back. Suggest you practice on a old shirt first.

I'm going to echo what kincanucks stated. Dry clean your DEUs, spit shine your shoes/boots with parade gloss and use a lint brush (nothing fancy, just one of those red ones with the arrow pointing in the direction you're supposed to brush). I wouldn't recommend polishing any of the metal you get from the CF, most of it is perma-shine, such as the buttons and belt buckles, the issued cap badges are also perma shine and real brass ones are usually an extra thing that you purchase from a kit shop. You'll destroy your perma-shine stuff if you try to polish it with brasso or anything like that.

Proud Canadian said:
For a perfect crease with your dress shirts use a steady hand and fishing line....?

Huh?  Never heard of that?  Care to explain?

S6

Just a guess, you put the line on the inside of the sleeve where the crease is and iron it while making sure it doesn't move. I'm guessing the line would melt to the sleeve and if you did it right, you'd have a crese right where you need one.

PC, am I right? If not, hows it work then?

When polishing boots always water buff first. That is run under cold water and buff with a wet kiwi rag. Once done place polish and top half of polish can(with water) in your freezer for a while. When it starts to ice up take it out and start to polish. Polishing seems to work better when the polish and water are cold.

Ah.. I polish my boots in water full of ice cubes.. so that works great. But I should try this idea, sounds great.

On average I use my DEU's 4 times per year, so I dry clean them every time. Have a complete set of buttons, and other pin on accoutrements in case your originals get scratched or lose their pins. Have a parade beret, and inspect your uniform on a hanger with all the bells and whistles on it days before you are ready to wear it so you have time to fix any problems. Of course make sure it fits you perfectly and consult dress regs if you are unsure of where everything goes. As for boots, there are enough links on this site that no one should need to ask again.

Patrolman said:
  When polishing boots always water buff first. That is run under cold water and buff with a wet kiwi rag. Once done place polish and top half of polish can(with water) in your freezer for a while. When it starts to ice up take it out and start to polish. Polishing seems to work better when the polish and water are cold.

Holy Crap !!! I did one boot real quick, and it looks awesome.  I'm gonna lose the old way and start using this way.

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
Have a complete set of buttons, and other pin on accoutrements in case your originals get scratched or lose their pins.

This reminds me...in case you haven't yet heard.

DEU accoutrements, collar dogs, ranks, shoulder titles, Command Badges etc are now exchangeable items so you just have to bring in your broken/worn ones etc to exchange for new. You no longer have to buy them.

Clothing Stores should have extra back-pins at the counter (we carry them here in Gagetown-they come in bags of 100) so you can pick up extras there.

Vern

Now say you misplace the collar dog... or rank... would you have to fill out a Lost kit report?

MAy sounds like a dumb question... but I was always taught the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

They'll tell you when you ask for a replacement.

TN2IC,

We can't clear up all the knowledge you seem to be missing about the military overnight. Most here have been more than patient with your vast amount of seemingly simple questions being asked over the last few weeks. Your Chain of Command, QM and Orderly Room are more than capable of answering just about everything you've asked. How about giving us a break for awhile and consulting with them. If they can't answer, please feel free to try here, but please try them first.

Well, I personally wouldn't ask for one....the first time. But then after the front counter personnel keep seeing the same face over and over again for the same lost item...they're gonna ask for the MLR. Sad, but we see it all the time. It only takes one idiot abusing the system to ruin it for everyone.

Back