• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Desert Boots

HitorMiss said:
Hey I haven't heard a bad thing about SWAT's in fact I do like mine. I just like my Converse better.
I have. Had a couple of troops whose feet they don't work for.
HitorMiss said:
I'll tell you what I hate thought the issue Boot's are JUNK complete and total JUNK...did I say JUNK yet cause man they sure are JUNK
And I've had a few troops who actually prefer these ones.

Like I said....nobody will ever be happy all of the time. Footwear, for the infanteer is critical, it has to be something that is comfortable, proper fitting, and acceptable for the individual who has to wear it. The individual....not the majority, not the minority. Footwear should be based on the individual's needs and comfort.

Vern

The Librarian said:
And I've had a few troops who actually prefer these ones.

We are talking about the new desert boot right just the old style ie Bosnia/Somolia issue, I'm talking about the ones that are designed like the old CWW boot cause if we are......

They are wrong  ;)

HitorMiss said:
We are talking about the new desert boot right just the old style ie Bosnia issue, I'm talking about the ones that are designed like the old CWW boot cause if we are......

They are wrong  ;)

We speak of the same boot my friend.  ;)

So, if different people like different boots, why dont we do thing "american PX style"

Put half a dozen different boots on the wall and say "pick a kind and take 2 pairs"

?

HitorMiss said:
We are talking about the new desert boot right just the old style ie Bosnia/Somolia issue, I'm talking about the ones that are designed like the old CWW boot cause if we are......

They are wrong  ;)

Anyone who likes the 'new' style boots has yet to wear them on a ruck march... and when they have hamburger feet, they'll all go out and get boots that aren't JUNK.

Everyone who got the new boots (on TF3-06) that I knew, either bought new boots (SWATS, Danners, etc) or complained daily about how much their feet hurt.

As HoM said... JUNK!!

cdnaviator raises a good point why don't we do that, OK just because it would give my Regiments RSM's heart attacks cause we all wont look exactly alike doesn't mean it's not the right idea.

RHFC Piper

Then you would be in the overwhelming majority of those who do not like them.

Some people they do work for though....even after ruck marches.....

And cdnaviator....I agree, but that would just make......what is that word again?

HitorMiss said:
cdnaviator raises a good point why don't we do that, OK just because it would give my Regiments RSM's heart attacks cause we all wont look exactly alike doesn't mean it's not the right idea.

Well to illustrate my point, when the first GORTEX(tm) boots were issued in Petawawa for OP HARMONY...we were given the choice between prospectors and Kodiaks......why can we not do that now ?  The RSM 1 RCR didnt seem to collapse from heart failiure then ......And for those who Knew RSM "all tigers, no donkeys" Bentley......

cdnaviator said:
The RSM 1 RCR didnt seem to collapse from heart failiure then ......

Well I think that was Hodgeson and he was Ex Commando so really all he cared about was doing the darn job or it was Carrier and he was concerned about non issue gloves.

But your right it should choice of foot wear non of this "We have one boot you don't like it you get a chit" that will in the long run save money for the CF I think.

HitorMiss said:
Well I think that was Hodgeson and he was Ex Commando so really all he cared about was doing the darn job or it was Carrier and he was concerned about non issue gloves.

But your right it should choice of foot wear non of this "We have one boot you don't like it you get a chit" that will in the long run save money for the CF I think.

CWO "all tigers, no donkeys" Bentley

I was up in Gagetown the other week poking my nose around clothing stores and there were a TON of the Boulet's, which are being issued to TF-107. 

I'll put in a shameless plug for my employer here  ;D, Wheelers - CP Gear will soon be stocking the Bates M-9 Desert Assault Boot.

If you're unfamiliar with these boots, check out this Lightfighter thread:
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/8991097301/p/1

Ahh boots, the age old dilemma. I HATE both versions of issued db's. I went through A LOT of boots on 1-06. Expensive yes, but definitely worth it! Soooo here are my points:

1. Magnum Amazon 4 - This was the boot I was originally issued because of a boot chit. It is also the issue boot for the Brits. At first, read while still in Canada, I liked them. Had the speed laces, comfy, good to go. After using them overseas for a month or so my tune changed drastically. The soles have absolutly no support in them, even with SOLE insoles. When walking around KAF you felt every single rock! They also had no ankle support ala the old issue DB's. Got rid of them.

2. When I went home on HLTA I picked up a pair of Desert Swats. I really liked these boots. I bought two pairs and they were great, while they lasted. They were very supportive, as they have a shank, not to hot, decent but not great ankle support, and the same "running shoe feel as the black ones. Myself and 3 other guys in my section had them and all three of ours wore out in about 2months. Seams along the laces blew, the toe cap cam unattached, the interior liner ripped apart. These beat the Magnums and issue Db's hands down but they didnt last.

3. Next I tried the Oakley Desert Assault boots. These are a good deal if you buy them through the military sales program they have, (www.usstandarissue.com) about $90 US. I liked these boots but not as much as the swats. I really liked that they were short. Less pressure on the shins, and less boot coverage so less hot. Also they lasted, I used them for about 7months (I was on a 9 month tour)and they are still in great shape. They were also more comfortable than the Swats, softer more running shoe feeling. The downside to them is I found that the sole's were also to soft. They don't have a shank like the Swats so they are less supportive. They also lacked ankle support. Better than the Magnums, but worse than the swats.

4. Finally I tried the Bates M6 boot. Hands down the best boot I have ever tried, and I'm including black boots in that. They were low, and so again you got the benefits mentioned above. They have an extremely supportive sole, and they are the only kind, out of the boots I tried, that had vibram soles. They have dual lacing, so you can have the uppers and lowers at a different tightness, and they also had the "running shoe" feel. For $89 US they are a steal of a deal. I would highly recommend them and plan on buying two more sets for my next tour (fingers crossed ;) )

As stated by Librarian and others boots are an individual thing, but hopefully this will help someone.

Another resounding endorsment of the Bates Assault line.  PhilB did you get the Desert version of the M6 or wa sit just the black one?

Matt_Fisher said:
I was up in Gagetown the other week poking my nose around clothing stores and there were a TON of the Boulet's, which are being issued to TF-107. 

I'll put in a shameless plug for my employer here  ;D, Wheelers - CP Gear will soon be stocking the Bates M-9 Desert Assault Boot.

If you're unfamiliar with these boots, check out this Lightfighter thread:
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/8991097301/p/1

Matt, Does that mean that I won the "suggestion competition"

Back when that was running I went from the top down, and we are now at the "down" part.  They should be in the mail then right.

Matt is CP going to be carrying the M6's or is it just going to be the M9's?

At this time we're just going to be carrying the M-9's.  The Canadian rep told us they should arrive within the next week.  Once they're in we'll put them online.  Pricing should be around the $160 mark, which at first glance looks more expensive than our US competitors, when you factor that orders over $99 from Wheelers - CP Gear have free shipping, and compare that to the UPS/FedEx fees (customs brokerage rates they charge can be murderous), the pricing is pretty much in line.

We're also in negotiation to bringing in a European sourced desert boot that rhymes with "Wendall dessert rocks"  ;).  More to follow on that.

Back