Dark Blue Berets return

Loachman

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Try turning in one of the old black air mattresses that had not been used for about twenty-five years (since I bought my Thermorest pad, long before the knock-offs were issued) and had turned crispy.

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
FJAG said:
The beret was only worn with Greens and we had a baseball cap to wear with work dress.

So we *were* able to wear a ball cap with operational dress back in the day?  Those same people thinking it's unprofessional (except when the RCN does it) now?

::)

FJAG

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Dimsum said:
So we *were* able to wear a ball cap with operational dress back in the day?  Those same people thinking it's unprofessional (except when the RCN does it) now?

I wouldn't call it "operational dress". It looked like what a gas station attendant wore back in the days when they had them and was supposed to be for "working" around the base--an almost coverall outfit. Unfortunately we started gussying it up so as to "look sharp" in it which made it impractical as a true "working" outfit. I mostly wore mine in an office environment where we also wore the pants bloused with combat boots and linden green short sleeved shirts (instead of the blueish-green one). Subsequently we wore the Corcoran boots with work dress pants and the coat of many colours as "Garrison Dress"

It got quite confusing for a while.

;D

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Dimsum said:

This is a CWO in 1972 in work dress and wearing the ball cap. Cap badges were not supposed to be worn on the ball cap, but there was a lot of "gussying it up" in those early days in an attempt to make it recognizable as a military uniform.  The ball cap did not last long;  the "Elmer Fudd" cap (a winter version of the cap) lasted much longer and was, IMO, a useful piece of kit.

RSM_Breen.jpg

The photo is from https://www.armycadethistory.com/Argonaut/Argonaut_camp_RSMs.htm

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
dapaterson said:
As I recall, i wore mine into the early 2000s, until I was issued CADPAT everything.

Mine remains in my closet, ready to be returned when I finally release, in order to make junior Sup Techs in clothing stores say "What the hell is that?"

Yup, it was still issued while OG107 was worn. :nod:  Of all the funky late-70s/early-80s stuff I returned to Clo Strs on release, I felt worst about giving back my ‘boonie cap’ (what I called it, due to a cousin in the 82nd calling it that the first time he visited me on base and saw it...he got me hooked on a woobie and real rain gear too, at a time when Canada just had that think rubber-coated crap rain gear that smelled like a cross between puke and dog crap...)

I also returned a steel pot helmet painted black with white ‘BDF’ underneath the cam cover, a fully-functioning Black Betty that Loachman refers to (but mine was in awesome shape - loved it!) and the piece de resistance was a couple of the old OG107 intermediate coats with the corduroy collar. 

At least they let me keep my vibram’d Mk. IIIs. ;D