• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a former Reg F member, current Honorary Colonel has declared his intent to run for the CPC leadership.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-leadership-race-brulotte-1.5397367

Educated at the Royal Military College, Carleton University, the University of Ottawa and William Howard Taft University in Denver, Brulotte is also a former member of the military who served overseas in both Germany and on United Nations peacekeeping missions with the Royal 22nd Regiment. He's currently the honorary colonel of the Governor General's Foot Guards.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/rona-ambrose-is-thinking-over-a-tory-leadership-bid-source-1.4733773

Fingers crossed that she makes the decision to run.  But I would not blame her one bit if she didn't.

Remius said:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/rona-ambrose-is-thinking-over-a-tory-leadership-bid-source-1.4733773

Fingers crossed that she makes the decision to run.  But I would not blame her one bit if she didn't.

It's not every day ~50% of the country is basically publicly begging you to step up and be Prime Minister... all the better that she needs to be persuaded, it demonstrates she's likely not interested in doing this for selfish reasons...

A lot of the pundits believe the CPC potentials with any brand value / recognition are all waiting on her, because if she enters, they'll back away.

I'd back Rempell or Bergen for the job, but both being from Alberta there's not a hope in hell.

Next up:  Jean Charest, considering or going to run (depending on who you believe more).
Target Up said:
... both being from Alberta there's not a hope in hell.
You figure?  And I ask that sincerely - I figured that might give more "rub the PM's nose in it" cachet, but I stand to be corrected.

I know it's not exactly about choosing a new leader but seems more appropriate to post in this thread than to start a new thread. Scheer resigned as party leader for using party funds to pay for his kids schooling...put another way I think it's fair to say he embezzled party funds. Now the party is allowing him to stay on as interim party leader untill a new leader is chosen and he stays in the CPC.
Meanwhile senior party member Dustin van Vugt who signed off on using party funds has been let go by the CPC. If he is let go for both his knowledge and approving of the use of funds then why hasn't Scheer also been let go from the CPC?  After all van Vugt may be a senior Tory but Scheer is not just a senior Tory, but the one who benefited from this embezzlement of funds. I know (sarcastic voice) the CPC need Scheer's seat more than they need integrity.
Shouldn't Scheer be let go both as party leader (yes pending) and from the CPC and sit as an independent?

Scheer resigned after pondering his future for months. It just so happened that the gotcha journalism of him getting a few thousand a year to top up the cost of private school fees between Regina and Ottawa leaked at the same time. Keep in mind the compensation was all approved above board by the executives who hold the pursestrings, and I read somewhere that it was offered, not asked for by the Scheers.

milnews.ca said:
Next up:  Jean Charest, considering or going to run (depending on who you believe more).You figure?  And I ask that sincerely - I figured that might give more "rub the PM's nose in it" cachet, but I stand to be corrected.

An Alberta candidate would kill it out here, where the conservatives kill it already.  The ROC, whether it wants to admit it or not, would be hesitant to have another PM from out here. We just don't "get it".

Knowing the CPC mafia, Rona would probably lose to someone most party members have never heard of before.

Target Up said:
... The ROC, whether it wants to admit it or not, would be hesitant to have another PM from out here. We just don't "get it".
Seen - thanks.  With the right candidate, though, I think that's a hurdle that could be overcome.

Meanwhile, could this be a flag being run up the pole to see how many salute?

"Diane Francis: Canada needs to pivot, hard, and John Baird is the right man for the job:  Canada needs a Canadian version of Donald Trump — proud of the country and assertive in its advancement"

milnews.ca said:
Meanwhile, could this be a flag being run up the pole to see how many salute?

[size=14pt]Canada needs a Canadian version of Donald Trump

It would be an interesting experiment,
CTV News
July 21, 2019

Nearly 8 in 10 Canadians prefer Dems over Trump
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/nearly-8-in-10-canadians-prefer-dems-over-trump-sanders-biden-most-popular-poll-1.4517305
A new poll finds that if Canadians could vote in the U.S. election, nearly eight in 10 would choose one of the five leading Democratic presidential hopefuls over Republican President Donald Trump.

milnews.ca said:
...Meanwhile, could this be a flag being run up the pole to see how many salute?
  "Canada needs a Canadian version of Donald Trump — proud of the country and assertive in its advancement"

I'm giving it a middle finger salute.

:nana:

milnews.ca said:
Next up:  Jean Charest, considering or going to run (depending on who you believe more).

I truly believe that Jean Charest is a red tory through and through and a progressive.  But he has so much provincial political baggage I doubt that he would succeed against the likes of Rona Ambrose or Peter McKay.  I'm not even sure that Quebecers would want him.  Not to mention the current investigation he is under.

I heard a good commentary where they said he would have some good intel into the inner workings of the Liberal party machine though.

So it looks like Pierre Polievre is about to announce his intent to run.

He also seems to have some big names behind him.  John Baird an Jenny Byrne.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/01/06/pierre-poilievre-to-announce-conservative-leadership-bid-baird-to-chair-campaign.html

Remius said:
I truly believe that Jean Charest is a red tory through and through and a progressive.  But he has so much provincial political baggage I doubt that he would succeed against the likes of Rona Ambrose or Peter McKay. 

He's also anti-gun so that might be a point of contention with Conservatives.

Remius said:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/01/06/pierre-poilievre-to-announce-conservative-leadership-bid-baird-to-chair-campaign.html

Jenny's his ex-girlfriend.

And if Pierre does manage to win, I am certain that (a) the Liberals will be delighted and (b) he and John will be marching in the Toronto Pride parade the next day.

dapaterson said:
And if Pierre does manage to win, I am certain that (a) the Liberals will be delighted and (b) he and John will be marching in the Toronto Pride parade the next day.

Or, maybe something a little more tame like the Pride parade up in Newmarket with Doug.

Remius said:

A hearty ‘meh’. He’s a capable pit bull in Parliament, but would just be more of the same as leader, I think. The LPC would love to se the CPC make such an uninspired and easily targetable choice. Nothing about him really jumps out to me as saying “yeah, this is the guy!” With that said, there are no poison pills I’m aware of either, so there’s that... I’m sure whatever’s at the bottom of his laundry hamper will come up in time.

I’m still waiting for Ambrose to make her intentions known.

Brihard said:
A hearty ‘meh’. He’s a capable pit bull in Parliament, but would just be more of the same as leader, I think. The LPC would love to se the CPC make such an uninspired and easily targetable choice. Nothing about him really jumps out to me as saying “yeah, this is the guy!” With that said, there are no poison pills I’m aware of either, so there’s that... I’m sure whatever’s at the bottom of his laundry hamper will come up in time.

Totally agree.  Plus he’s another career politician.  But at least, I think he hasn’t tried to hide that fact.

But he looks like he might make a good run at it.  Like some have said, the LPC would love him as leader...

Brihard said:

Here’s a thought.  Maybe Polievre is making it official because he has inside info that says She isn’t running...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back