• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP Gear OTW Shirt. Review?

Eric_911

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey All...

Just wondering if someone can post a review on the CP Gear OTW Shirt? This review could definately be of use to the boys deploying.

http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=604

I figure the shirt has been around for a while, it's seen 2-3 roto's overseas... Are they worth $129.50 each? Should dudes be dumping $400.00+ on these prior to deployment?

How did they hold up? Specifically, any comments on the Zippers, Pockets, Velcro, Wrist closures, Collar.... The driFire material: Did it end up pilling a lot? Did they feel any cooler then the issue shirt under the frag vest? Would these shirts actually survive more then 6-7 months of regular wear?

Thanks,
Eric

I hope it isn't the same shirt that has now been banned from wear, due to "Flame retardant" regulations that have been discussed on the site quite thoroughly previously.

George Wallace said:
I hope it isn't the same shirt that has now been banned from wear, due to "Flame retardant" regulations that have been discussed on the site quite thoroughly previously.

Maybe Matt will fill us in?

Far be it for me to ever recommend non-issue kit because if it was needed they would issue it right?  ::)  That being said, the current combat shirt is a terrible design... pockets that are useless once you put a Tac Vest on (oh wait, the buttons do make great pressure points for those that like to give themselves that extra dose of c**k).  They get wet fast and dry slowly, they are hot and heavy etc. etc.  To minimize this even just a little, many people started wearing their body armour under the shirts (esp. those that had non-issue web belts vice vests).  I should point out however, that on 1-08 there was at least one unit that put a stop to this practice because if you found yourself in deep water you could not get your shirt unbuttoned fast enough to get your armour off thus increasing the risk of drowning.

So, enter the OTW Shirt.  A great design - it's lightweight, quick drying and cool, it's flash resistant/melt-proof shirt that has no pressure points under your gear - it is like wearing another T-shirt.  Now let's be honest, you're going to Afghanistan. You are going to be hot and even the best moisture-wicking fabric in the world will be hindered by a frag vest and plates. This shirt however, does keep you as cool as realistically possible and more importantly as comfortable as possible.

As for the quality, it is very good and very durable.  You shouldn't have a problem with any of the its component parts.  If you have two shirts and only wear them on patrols and road moves you should have no problems over a 7 month tour.  Due to the high cost, most people I knew bought one to try and quickly found they wish they had bought two.

In the end, are they worth it?  Make no mistake, at $130 I am sure CP Gear is making a pretty penny on each shirt but this is exactly what we should be wearing over there and there is a reason most other armies have a variant of this shirt.  Taking a [poorly designed] shirt designed to be worn all year round in North America / Europe and "painting" it tan does not make it suitable for use in a desert.  So in the end, if one will be operating OTW and is on a limited budget, I would recommend in priority (1) good boots (2) OTW shirts.

I don't have anything negative to say about them so if you have specific questions ask.  Hope this helps a little.

One caveat in closing - obviously you are all big boys who know your CoC's direction with regard to non-issue kit.  I'll leave it at that.

George Wallace said:

George,  the OTW shirt uses a modacrylic fabric called driFIRE which is inherently 'no-melt/no-drip' unlike polyester/lycra based fabrics such as are used on UnderArmour, Elite Issue, etc which I believe are what you're referring to.

I got one of the first ones made and put out back at the beginning of the year.  I was a veh commander and myself and my driver both wore the shirt with only my authority (neener neener).  We got no flak from my chain of command and I emphasied to my young trooper that he was NOT to flaunt what he was wearing.

In all, both of us were very comfortable with the shirts.  I had issues with the arm pockets but it seems arm pockets in general are a hit or miss add on.

I very much enjoyed the use of the shirt and appreciate that CPgear has created it.  Hopefully the Army can take a cue and make something of their own so the troops can be comfortable overseas.

Last fall, when LGen Semianow was in country, he hinted that the CF would be seriously interested in introducing this kit. FWTW.

I've got two of these types of shirts, one the CP Gear OTW, the other the ICE Tactical Direct Action Shirt.

Very similar, some differences. Will come up with something more after some use in Theatre.

I'd be willing to part with $300 IF I ever get over there. Sounds good to me!!

I used two of these on 1-08 and I can say unequivocally that they are worth the money. They are much more comfortable underneath armour as it is slick. You feel a tad bit cooler, but when you are humping and it is almost 60C there is only so much that you can do! Quality wise, they are definitely good to go. We were in the COP's for the majority of our tour and as such I didnt ever wear a combat shirt. 3 of my 4 issued combat shirts were never used. I used the two OTW's the entire tour and they are still going strong. No issues with piling. The only two complaints that I have with the shirt are 1) the cp gear label is on the inside seam on the side. It really itches, just cut it out. and finally 2) the fact that the pockets are zippered and not angled makes it a bit of a pain to get your smokes out, this is a minor annoyance though. I would definitely recommend the shirt to anyone deploying.

I had one of these, and alongside a Brit UBACS.  Pretty much the same performance, the UBACS was more comfortable due to the padding (minor point) and the fact that the CP one's arm pockets rubbed spots on arm raw from exposed stitching after a days walking with it.  That was solved with some small gun tape patches over the offending spots.  The UBACS arm pocket were also easier to access.
Overall a very good piece of kit that will be excellent with a bit of tweaking.  My CP one is heading back over there in Feb with a friend.
Matt, did you ever get the UBACS I sent or the other package?

I did receive the UBACS.  Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback both good and bad regarding the OTW shirts.  We've had mixed reviews about the arm pockets; some guys like the zippered design, whereas others want a more angled, flapped pocket. 

I think, it really depends on what you are keeping in there. A LOT of guys in my platoon used OTW shirts. Those that just carried a nine line, note book, paper etc had no issues with the pockets. It was us ( well not anymore as of 30-Nov! ;D ) smokers that had an issue. When you are continually trying to reach across your rig with gloves on trying to get your smokes out it can be a pain. Flapped, angled pocket are much much easily accessible, which is important when you are niccing out!

Matt_Fisher said:
I did receive the UBACS.  Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback both good and bad regarding the OTW shirts.  We've had mixed reviews about the arm pockets; some guys like the zippered design, whereas others want a more angled, flapped pocket. 

Matt, are you looking at doing an other version with flapped pockets?

If anyone is looking for a size small tan, I have one that I won't be needing for at least a year or two.. I can part with it for a couple of bucks..

Interesting review on this. can someone post pics of it ? The DIN wont show pics  :(

Back