• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP Gear OTW Shirt. Review?

NL_engineer said:
Well I got to wear it once, and I love it.  Too bad I can't wear it again due to the COC thinking that it burns at a lower tempture then cotton ::)  But non issued rigs are a go  ;D, so I can't ***** about it  ::)

Can the CoC not be given the specs of the OTW shirt which would correct this (if in fact Dri-fire and the CADPAT cloth is better than cotton/combat shirt combo)?

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
Can the CoC not be given the specs of the OTW shirt which would correct this (if in fact Dri-fire and the CADPAT cloth is better than cotton/combat shirt combo)?
[/quote

Well I tried again, and got the basic catch all line: "its not issued so you can't wear it". 

NL_engineer said:
Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
[/quote

Well I tried again, and got the basic catch all line: "its not issued so you can't wear it".

Hmmm, personality=policy it seems sometimes. Where is the consistency with this? As long as the chain doesn't confuse the OTW (or similar) shirts with Under Armor or other types that do not like flames at all.

s1t2, Found out it is just not allowed at my FOB: when we went to another FOB, that FOB SM was wearing one (just took mine off, after wearing it for three days).

Matt, I will be sending you a few ideas for the GEN II when I get a chance. 

Has anyone found a problem with chafing on the back of the neck?  I have been finding the collar tends to bunch up if not fully zipped up.  I have found that that and the armor neck protector chafe my neck.

NL_engineer said:

Yet the issue underwear, which one can wear because it is issue, is a far, far worse fire hazard.

Sorry about some of the confused looks. Didn't have time to compress the photo and had to link the main article.

Actually, if you look more closely, you'll see that I was actually referring to nearly all of the Marines in the photo. Just a point to rub it into our faces, until DLR gets their version out to the troops.... whenever that is.

Eric_911 said:

You'll also notice that in the pic, the rigs the Marines have piled on the ground are the Scalable Plate Carrier (http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/pmice/ASPC.asp), as they've deemed that for dismounted ops in Afghanistan, it's the battalion commander's call to adjust the levels of PPE, so as to reduce weight and heat strain on the troops.

Sometimes.....just sometimes.......

war-fighting preempts the best efforts of those whose strong suit is Dress Regs, the parade square, 'form over function,' rock painting, etc...

pict90.jpg

Copyright: cryptome.org/af-photo-war-03/af-photo-war-03.htm

ps - to add to the 'pot-stirring,' you can tell that these are Marine infantry (not artillery)....because they're firing an infantry support weapon  ;D

I was on a site where I have a former colleague who is pretty high up there in the TF HQ. He wears a dry fire....if he's wearing one.....pretty much tells me the troops are good to go.

OldSoldier said:
I was on a site where I have a former colleague who is pretty high up there in the TF HQ. He wears a dry fire....if he's wearing one.....pretty much tells me the troops are good to go.

Theoretically.

....but it wouldn't be the first occasion where the staff have gucci kit that some CSM or RSM won't allow because it's "not in the pam," or ~shudder~ a picture of a troop with non-issue kit may make it back to someone even more anal.

Journeyman said:
Theoretically.

....but it wouldn't be the first occasion where the staff have gucci kit that some CSM or RSM won't allow because it's "not in the pam," or ~shudder~ a picture of a troop with non-issue kit may make it back to someone even more anal.
I hear you JM....so true isn't it?

I can confirm that once I was completing the tour 07-08 with the Vandoos, I dropped all my lovely pictures from outside the wire off with the public affairs officer.  She loved them all but said none of the ones with me in the pictures could be used.  Reason:  The only issue piece of kit I ever had on was my combat pants!!

Of course, every tour is different as we can see by the stuff going up on combat camera these days.

Journeyman said:

war-fighting preempts the best efforts of those whose strong suit is Dress Regs, the parade square, 'form over function,' rock painting, etc...

pict90.jpg

Copyright: cryptome.org/af-photo-war-03/af-photo-war-03.htm

ps - to add to the 'pot-stirring,' you can tell that these are Marine infantry (not artillery)....because they're firing an infantry support weapon  ;D

One of the wisest things the Marine Corps has ever done was to make its PT uniform (which those Marines pictured are wearing) consist of the OD green t-shirt which you also wear with Utilities (combats) and OD shorts, so it's 'semi-tactical' enough to wear as FOB gear, and still function if you have to perform a quick fire mission whilst in the midst of a PT session...lol

Journeyman said:

We keep fighting the dress reg war, we can now walk around with unblowsed pants, but must have boot bands on our person, and OTW shirts are good most places except KAF and a few FOBs.

So the Canadian Forces don't supply a FR combat shirt? That's kind of odd. I must say though, I love the CADPAT Design. The one thing we lack down here in the states is, a woodland variant of a combat shirt (OTW). The Marines have the desert MARPAT aka FROG gear. I happen to have a pair of those. As well as the Army. The biggest flaw in the Army issues combat shirt is the material. It's made of a mesh. Rips VERY easily. Some soldiers rip them while putting it on or taking it off. Here are some pics of my combat shirt.

dsc0281if1.jpg

dsc0282ob7.jpg

dsc0283qu7.jpg

I have several CP Gear OTW shirts and my biggest complaint is that for a $130 shirt, and that is a lot of money for 1 shirt, it is awfully frail.  Almost every one I've seen over a month or two old, the seams are seperating where the FR material (plain tan) meets the CADAPAT.  Also the DriFire material is quite frail itself as small tears and holes seem to appear very easily.  Early on, I figured out that since they wear fairly tight, and are especially hard to get off when soaked with sweat, that it is best to be as delicate as possible when removing them to avoiding stressing the seams and material.  I can provide pictures of examples.

An alternative I use from time to time, although not as "cool" (not moisture wicking) but just as comfortable, is the hybrid shirts the tailor was making in CNS.  Basically just a tan t-shirt with CADPAT sleeves and re-enforcment across the back of the shoulders.  Great shirt for $35 and what I actually wear inside the wire anywhere where more than a t-shirt is required.

Back