• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer ( CT ) - Reserve to Regular

dapaterson said:
If you changed trades, then by definition (barring PLAR) you are unqualified in the new trade.

Your IPC in that case would be set based on full time equivalent service, AFAIK.
However that same blanket assessment didn't apply to everyone. Others with equal or less service still retained at least the rank of a trained private. I personally know one individual that somehow gained a rank from untrained to trained (without a PLAR or even QL3/DP1), which makes no sense. There's some serious inconsistency and I'm trying to find the references that state conclusively of what you're saying is the absolute.

I suspect those are questions of mis-application of nomenclature.  And as they are no longer linked to pay, they are administrative, not financial problems.  This may well be a case of a mistaken cut and paste on a message...

It is supposed to be:

Pte(R): No BMQ
Pte(U): No DP1
Pte(T): DP1

Hello All, just wondering if anyone can provide advice on anything regarding a CT I have in.

I am new to the site and did some searching but wasn't able to find anything recent on my situation. I am in the Reserves and put in for a CT transfer last year (late 2017). I received a phone call shortly afterwards with a short interview and a follow up email letter less than a week later from Intake stating that a career Counsellor would be in touch within 10 business days to schedule an interview.
That email was in Jan. 2018 and I haven't heard anything since from an actual Broker to schedule the interview. I tried calling the local recruiting office as well as some others with not much information other than there is a backlog in the system. Can anyone make a suggestion on who to contact or what to do from here? My transfer was put in for the same trade.

Thanks in advance.

Mike3 said:
Hello All, just wondering if anyone can provide advice on anything regarding a CT I have in.

I am new to the site and did some searching but wasn't able to find anything recent on my situation. I am in the Reserves and put in for a CT transfer last year (late 2017). I received a phone call shortly afterwards with a short interview and a follow up email letter less than a week later from Intake stating that a career Counsellor would be in touch within 10 business days to schedule an interview.
That email was in Jan. 2018 and I haven't heard anything since from an actual Broker to schedule the interview. I tried calling the local recruiting office as well as some others with not much information other than there is a backlog in the system. Can anyone make a suggestion on who to contact or what to do from here? My transfer was put in for the same trade.

Thanks in advance.

If you were stuck at interview and didn't hear anything back, that's definitely not normal and you should keep at it to ask around (i.e. your OR CClk and local CFRC). If you did get an email from CT broker telling you that, then maybe take that email and go to CFRC. Did you try calling the number of your CT broker in the signature block? Don't give up and if you can't find the answer, get help from your CoC.

There are 50+ pages of Q&A on CTs in this discussion. Most of it good, valid advice.

CFRC does not handle CT/OT.

Contact your CoC to follow up on your CT and ask if you need an appointment with the BPSO. 

kratz said:
There are 50+ pages of Q&A on CTs in this discussion. Most of it good, valid advice.

CFRC does not handle CT/OT.

Contact your CoC to follow up on your CT and ask if you need an appointment with the BPSO.

Why I pointed to CFRC was from my personal, recent experience where CT broker had liaised with CFRC to conduct the interview, but CFRC nor CT broker contacted me from Jan 2018 to May 2018; I've sent emails to the CT broker throughout and assumed I wasn't selected. In may, I got an email end May saying I was selected for ROTP CIVIU and CT with interview I did previous year. Luckily I wrote a formal letter to my school to consider me for enrolment way past the deadline, and was admitted. What I learned from this is that until you have a clear final word to close things off, you need to take ownership of your career and applications and see through to it till the end, whether it be going to one person to reach another.

bk066 said:
Why I pointed to CFRC was from my personal, recent experience where CT broker had liaised with CFRC to conduct the interview, but CFRC nor CT broker contacted me from Jan 2018 to May 2018; I've sent emails to the CT broker throughout and assumed I wasn't selected. In may, I got an email end May saying I was selected for ROTP CIVIU and CT with interview I did previous year. Luckily I wrote a formal letter to my school to consider me for enrolment way past the deadline, and was admitted. What I learned from this is that until you have a clear final word to close things off, you need to take ownership of your career and applications and see through to it till the end, whether it be going to one person to reach another.

Thank You bk066 and kratz for your response. When I received that phone call shortly after I put my CT in, the person on the phone said that everything was in order for my CT at the moment since I was staying in the same trade and I already had a recent medical on file. Unfortunately I was on the road when I received that call and was unable to write down the persons name who called me. Perhaps the email I received from Intake a short time later stating "I would receive a call to set up a meeting within 10 business days with a career councillor" is an automated one and things are just backed up but I would feel much better knowing everything is still in play and just in a waiting period now (8 months) for an offer. I will at first opportunity contact my CoC, maybe this information is accessible through my DWAN somehow?

I just finished my 6th semester at University (out of 8). I'm currently in a CO-OP program and won't be heading back to school till September 2019. I will graduate in May 2020 with a Bachelor of Commerce. I'm currently a Reserve NCM and interested in doing a component transfer to the reg force as a Logistic Officer.

When would I be eligible to put in my CT? I'm aware that the CAF isn't hiring Log Os currently hence I'd like to submit it as early as possible, so I won't have to wait too long after graduating.

Thanks

Flyingboy444 said:
I just finished my 6th semester at University (out of 8). I'm currently in a CO-OP program and won't be heading back to school till September 2019. I will graduate in May 2020 with a Bachelor of Commerce. I'm currently a Reserve NCM and interested in doing a component transfer to the reg force as a Logistic Officer.

When would I be eligible to put in my CT? I'm aware that the CAF isn't hiring Log Os currently hence I'd like to submit it as early as possible, so I won't have to wait too long after graduating.

Thanks

Put it in as soon as you can, I got told it was a 5 year wait for LOG and MARS a year or two ago. When they switched systems I told them to close my file as things were going much better on civvy street and I didn't feel like wasting my time or their time anymore.

If/when DCMPG contacts you, just tell them that your not yet done your undergrad, tell them that. I've been told it's a "first come, first served approach" so don't delay your application, it takes 30 seconds on the DWAN.

You can select extra trades in the comments box. I would also suggest that you apply to other things (private and look at internal federal government jobs once you hit three years of service as you'll be able to apply internally). All you need to do is put your service number your jobs.gc.ca profile.

Flyingboy444 said:
Great thanks for the reply. I'll get in contact with my CoC to get access to DWAN.

You don't even need your own DWAN account, all you need is to access the form on the intranet. I'm not to sure what it is, but if you search "component transfer" on index.mil.ca (on someone's DWAN account), then you should be able to create an application. Add in the comments that you don't have a DWAN account. As your cheif clerk changes inform your broker. If you don't know who your broker is, just email the general inbox so that they can update your file.

Cheers and good luck.

Flyingboy444 said:

Thanks

I hate to be that guy, but I did a CT from Log O P-Res to Log-O Reg. It took 5 years. The process was horrible, and incredibly flawed and in the end the only reason it went through is because I personally took to calling the office in Ottawa on a regular basis. The file was lost multiple times. I don't have the AMOR with me, but my understanding at least as of 2 years ago is they are only accepting about 5 CT applicants who must be OFP. Meanwhile they accept about 65 off the street ROTP/DEO. My 2cents is release and reapply in a year civvy side and it will take less time.

Who knows though, maybe things have changed....but I doubt it  :facepalm:

NSDreamer said:
I hate to be that guy, but I did a CT from Log O P-Res to Log-O Reg. It took 5 years. The process was horrible, and incredibly flawed and in the end the only reason it went through is because I personally took to calling the office in Ottawa on a regular basis. The file was lost multiple times. I don't have the AMOR with me, but my understanding at least as of 2 years ago is they are only accepting about 5 CT applicants who must be OFP. Meanwhile they accept about 65 off the street ROTP/DEO. My 2cents is release and reapply in a year civvy side and it will take less time.

Who knows though, maybe things have changed....but I doubt it  :facepalm:

The CT (untrained) numbers are even worse.

The only flaw with releasing and reapplying is that the OP will loose the ILP for that year as they can't claim it until the September following the semester. At the end of the day it's only up to $2k, but it is what is. Additionally, until the OP has a full time job, the reserves is a great safety net and can provide some employment in between contracts...

There is also the 6 month gap in between the reserve release date and the reapplication process. Which is unfortunate, because if you don't have anything lined up by the time summer rolls around there usually is tons of work. Plus CLS B time is all pensionable time that can be bought back.. You also loose your dental plan, PSCHP and the camaradie with your peers.

Maybe I'm trying to "have my cake and eat it to", but given all the advantages of staying in the reserves; it's a big to decision to get out for "hopes and dreams".

Seriously, good luck.

runormal said:
The CT (untrained) numbers are even worse.

This is what I am saying, I do not believe Log HAS any CT Untrained billets, you must be at OFP unless they redid the 3 year outlook strategic intake plan. They will not tell the member this, and the application will sit along with 100+ others in the backlog. On top of this the WO in charge of this shop is understaffed critically. Or, again, it was 2 years ago when I last looked into it to assist one of my clerks with a CT.

The member may lose some TI and some finances, but they should still be able to PLAR their courses and push ahead with recruitment. It's rough advice, but it's my honest advice. As always though, this is an internet forum and my advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'll go get on the DWAN this afternoon and find out what the SIP looks like for this year if I can find it though.

Alright confirmed 0 positions for CT(Untrained) Log until at least end 24/25 EXCEPT if you apply for Navy Log in which case there is 1 a year. There are 5 positions for CT Trained at OFP, and 10 for OT, but only within the Reg F. 17-15 Positions per year for DEO and 50 for ROTP.

So barring some REALLY weird shenanigans the member has 0% chance of being successful until at least FY 26/27 for a CT to Log-O untrained. Not even considering the difficulties of the CT process.

That's definitely a kick between the legs. But, I appreciate the info. I definitely have to consider my options. I have thought about leaving the reserves and applying thru the DEO route, but I really like my unit and it's a solid form of income. However, if my end goal is to go RegF as a Log Officer I may have to make some sacrifices.

Flyingboy444 said:
That's definitely a kick between the legs. But, I appreciate the info. I definitely have to consider my options. I have thought about leaving the reserves and applying thru the DEO route, but I really like my unit and it's a solid form of income. However, if my end goal is to go RegF as a Log Officer I may have to make some sacrifices.

Sorry Friend, but look at it this way short term pain, long term gain. The info from my above post is straight from the Log AMOR which is the plan for recruiting and training log-os until 2026. It's not gospel, but it's certainly the 90% indicator of your chances. Like I said I applied for only CT from PRes Log O to Reg F Log O waited 5 years after reaching OFP and working CL B in reg F billets for years. I honestly think you're better doing ROTP or DEO.

I re read your posting history and you are actually in a good position. Since you have a 1 year coop, you have a decent opportunity to make some money and save it. That way you won't need the reserves for the final 8 months of school. The last time I checked it was a 6 month wait if trained and 1 year if untrained.

So if you hypothetically released in April 2019 you could reapply in October 2019 and then give application time to process (since all you need to do is the interview and possibly a medical. Then if everything lines up you could get the offer for May 2020.

It sucks and it's unfortunate, but if you scroll back a few pages you can see my posting history of me trying the same thing. You also may change your mind during the co-op and decide that you don't be in the regular force.

From personal experience, once you get your first full time job (that you like) it's a very difficult choice to move from that. In my perfect world CT - OT's would compete with DEO candidates, but as it currently stands they don't. It could change, but I doubt that it will as it helps retain people in the reserve force. Given how many people we've been bleeding over the past few years I don't see that changing anytime soon.

runormal said:
From personal experience, once you get your first full time job (that you like) it's a very difficult choice to move from that. In my perfect world CT - OT's would compete with DEO candidates, but as it currently stands they don't. It could change, but I doubt that it will as it helps retain people in the reserve force. Given how many people we've been bleeding over the past few years I don't see that changing anytime soon.

This point right here is a huge piss off for me, why the F*** is an OT who has military training in the reserves not considered against ROTPs. Saves us training money, we get dedicated candidates who have proven they want to be in the military as opposed to those who will drop out after training or during training because they can't handle it. It's a stupid bloody policy that only exists to force people to stay in the reserves.

I am currently in the armored reserves and i would like to transfer to regf infantry. could anyone tell me the steps to making this transfer and give me a rough timeline?
thanks

Back