• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer ( CT ) - Reserve to Regular

Good day, I'm in the Pres Infantry and my situation is kinda unique. I am the first person to have there CFAT waived in the start of this new program that the reserves are doing to see if they are losing out on good recruits. If it works out they are thinking about implementing the program into the Reg force if it does well. I had high scores on my BMQ and DP1 proves I want to be there. But I asked if I ever wanted to CT if it would ever be a problem or not but I can not get a answer because the program is still fresh. I have asked recruiters and I got different answers just wondering what other people thought

I was not aware of any initiative to waive the CFAT.  Do you have any details?

All I can say is I have done the CFAT twice the old one in 2004 and the most recent in 2014. I was unsuccessful. The recruiters told me I was failing by 2 questions on the 2 different tests. I gave up and said the military wasn't for after trying for 12 years. One day I seen the unit I am with now and talked to the recruiter and I told him my situation. He told me that my education I have and life experiences that I have being firefighter and etc that he could get me a retest. He said it might take awhile to hear anything back. He aller me back and told me that there was a big meeting with some higher ups and he was gonna mention my name and my situation. When I got the phone call back it was good news they decided with my other training and experience they will waive my CFAT and hear I am today. Just finished my dp1 in July

kylemalik786 said:
Hi guys. Does anyone know how long a component transfer might take from reserve force to regular force ?

It can take years. I know of someone that waited 3 years before their transfer was approved.

Hi guys,
Here's my situation:
- CT/OT put in march 2017 (NWO Res to Armoured Officer RegF)
- Interview: May 2018. I have been told that I was recommended and my file was being send to Ottawa. Also that I should receive an offer in the following 6 months.

Does anyone knows if there's an office or someone in Ottawa that I can contact to keep track on my file?

Thanks!

Rems said:
Hi guys,
Here's my situation:
- CT/OT put in march 2017 (NWO Res to Armoured Officer RegF)
- Interview: May 2018. I have been told that I was recommended and my file was being send to Ottawa. Also that I should receive an offer in the following 6 months.

Does anyone knows if there's an office or someone in Ottawa that I can contact to keep track on my file?

Thanks!

You can email the general CT email and ask them for the contact information for your file broker in Ottawa. They will be your direct point of contact and will be solely in charge of your application.

After "testing the waters" in the Naval Reserve for almost 3 years, I finally decided to put in my CT for AESOP last Friday. I can't wait to get news and start the process (BPSO interview, and obtaining my answer).

I'm currently a reservist FSA working on class B, so I can afford to be patient, as long as I know I can get my offer at some point :)

Does anyone has any tips for my CT process and know about the current timeline/demand of the AESOP trade or if the CT are faster than it was before ?

Thanks guys !

w0ngt0ng said:
After "testing the waters" in the Naval Reserve for almost 3 years, I finally decided to put in my CT for AESOP last Friday. I can't wait to get news and start the process (BPSO interview, and obtaining my answer).

I'm currently a reservist FSA working on class B, so I can afford to be patient, as long as I know I can get my offer at some point :)

Does anyone has any tips for my CT process and know about the current timeline/demand of the AESOP trade or if the CT are faster than it was before ?

Thanks guys !
I'd book your aircrew medical yourself, so that you know that you know that you actually meet the requirements. I enrolled as a V3, did the medical and found out that now I'm a V4. That stopped my application pretty quickly.

Contact your CDU directly, I got no grief even as a CLS A reservist.

runormal said:
I'd book your aircrew medical yourself, so that you know that you know that you actually meet the requirements. I enrolled as a V3, did the medical and found out that now I'm a V4. That stopped my application pretty quickly.

Contact your CDU directly, I got no grief even as a CLS A reservist.

Thanks a lot for your input brother ! Have a good day

Hello,

I hope I get all the terms right and I am posting in the right forum. I am still very new and learning everything, thanks!

So here is my "situation," I want to become a NWO and as with all officer trades, a degree is required. I am currently working towards an economics degree and have an application with my local naval reserve unit for NWO. From what I understand all the training is the same (MARS I, II, etc) the only difference is it takes a little longer for me since I can only do them during the summer, so instead of taking 1 and half years it will take 3/4 for years for me. Which is fine since I will have hopefully completed my degree by then.

After finishing all of my training and being out of school I intend to do a CT to the reg force as an NWO. Now my question here is how feasible is this? Is this a "bad" way to do things? Will I retain all of my training or will I need to redo things again? How long (ballpark) could a CT take as an NWO from pres to preg?

I am trying to figure my life out here and many people have told me that the naval reserves is a great place for someone working towards a degree like me, but I would like to hear opinions from you guys.

Thank you!

P.S. I have no desire to go through the ROTP since with my scholarships and the naval reserves tuition assistance I will graduate debt free and I am happy where I am.

AHappySeaman said:
Hello,

I hope I get all the terms right and I am posting in the right forum. I am still very new and learning everything, thanks!

So here is my "situation," I want to become a NWO and as with all officer trades, a degree is required. I am currently working towards an economics degree and have an application with my local naval reserve unit for NWO. From what I understand all the training is the same (MARS I, II, etc) the only difference is it takes a little longer for me since I can only do them during the summer, so instead of taking 1 and half years it will take 3/4 for years for me. Which is fine since I will have hopefully completed my degree by then.

After finishing all of my training and being out of school I intend to do a CT to the reg force as an NWO. Now my question here is how feasible is this? Is this a "bad" way to do things? Will I retain all of my training or will I need to redo things again? How long (ballpark) could a CT take as an NWO from pres to preg?

I am trying to figure my life out here and many people have told me that the naval reserves is a great place for someone working towards a degree like me, but I would like to hear opinions from you guys.

Thank you!

P.S. I have no desire to go through the ROTP since with my scholarships and the naval reserves tuition assistance I will graduate debt free and I am happy where I am.

That's a good plan. Once your training is completed with the new construct you may end up on a CPF, Kingston Class or Harry DeWolf Class ship getting your BWK (Bridge watch keeper). The CT probably won't take you too long, after that you will progress normally through the NWO stream.

Chief Engineer said:
That's a good plan. Once your training is completed with the new construct you may end up on a CPF, Kingston Class or Harry DeWolf Class ship getting your BWK (Bridge watch keeper). The CT probably won't take you too long, after that you will progress normally through the NWO stream.
Thank you! My only worry is that I've heard "horror" stories of CT taking 5+ years because. I just don't want to be stuck after training unable to go full time.

AHappySeaman said:
Thank you! My only worry is that I've heard "horror" stories of CT taking 5+ years because. I just don't want to be stuck after training unable to go full time.

No for the naval reserves its pretty quick, usually a few months not years.

Hello,
28y/o, PRes Armour 2Lt having going to phase 2 this summer (1 year in the CAF).
I have a comfortable and mentally stimulating civvy job with the government but I'm sick of the 'cubicle' 9-5 life and lack of camaraderie. So far I've enjoyed every second of army time, performed well, and I can see myself dedicating my life to it.

Any answers or comments on the following are much appreciated:

1) Is it better to finish all 3 phases in PRes and transfer as a Lt? Will I get demoted to 2Lt if so? (Phase 2 and 3 are done with the RegF, hence same courses). If all goes well I'll complete phase 3 in summer 2020.
2) I have a Masters degree and 3 years experience working in international affairs with the federal government. Would this help me get bumped in the payscale so my salary reduction won't be that bad if transferring? currently making 62k...
3) I'm 28 and ambitious. I believe I'll enjoy every second of being an Lt and Capt but eventually want to go as far as possible. Will my age limit career prospects off going up the ranks?
4) Given my studies and experience I would really like to get a posting to a NATO base/exchange in other country, educations opportunities such as War College in DC or Defence Academy in London, with UN, or other noncombat or political international opportunities... when I see who gets this kind of opportunities, it is usually RMC graduates who have been in the CAF from age 18. Is this something I could realistically aim for?

Thank you !

sindarin12 said:
Will my age limit career prospects off going up the ranks?

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/207.0
14 pages.

sindarin12 said:
Taking leave without pay is very common in the public service, is this even a thing in the CAF?

Leave Without Pay
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/policies-standards/leave-policy-manual.html#chap8

PRes to RegF, both Armoured,  DEO Officer.
I completed BMOQ and going to PhaseII (CAP, BMOQ-A, BMQ-L, whatever it's called now) this summer.

Since apparently Phase III differs from RegF to PRes (Leo 2 vs Recce), would it be wiser to CT after completing PRes PhaseIII or put in the request after completing PhaseII this summer?
If the latter: if the CT takes 1+ year, would I be able to do PRes Phase III next summer or will my training be 'frozen' until CT goes through?
If yes, would any of the modules of PRes PhaseIII be 'credited' towards RegF Phase III or IV(Recce)?

Since CTs can take years and life happens, can I refuse a CT offer and remain PRes?

Thank you.

sindarin12 said:
, can I refuse a CT offer and remain PRes?

During peacetime, I don't believe they can force you to CT.

See also,

Declining an offer (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/104645.0
6 pages.

PRes RCEME 2Lt to RegF AEO or CE
Application submitted on December 2017 and haven't heard anything back since.
I do know a person who took five and half years to get an offer in my unit and hope that's not a case for me.
Just curious if there's anyone who is (or has been) in similar CT situation as mine? and how long did it take for you?
I am currently working as a quality assurance engineer on civvy side and tried army life and decided to join reg force.
But it is very hard to keep my military side with civvy job at the same time as courses like BMOQ-A got rid of mod system for reserve officers since 2016~17.
I would love to do my phase 3 in borden this summer but that will force me to quit my civvy job and there's no guarantee of job security once I come back from the course.

Back