• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer ( CT ) - Reserve to Regular

Our ISS (CT portion) isn't managed very well, IMO.

Do other government departments 'recruit from within' the same inefficient, sloppy way we do from our res folks?

Eye In The Sky said:
Our ISS (CT portion) isn't managed very well, IMO.

Do other government departments 'recruit from within' the same inefficient, sloppy way we do from our res folks?

Not even close, look at all the closed PS jobs that get people job offers in a few months. The problem is internal CAF politics. If we make the CT/OT process wholly more efficient, and get offers out within 6 months (totally attainable in most situations if the member has reached OFP) and greatly increase the numbers recruited under ISS then the PRes will complain about the RegF poaching all its members.

There's a lot of stuff we can do better, it seems like its only getting worse as time passes. I had a CT approved in 2 months (no OT) under a decade ago. No reason simple transfers take a year or more.

PuckChaser said:
You're doing a CT/OT, significantly lengthening your processing time. Only your broker will have information for you, and that broker is probably managing 1,000 files. Do you have DWAN access? If you do, you can look the broker's name up in the address list and there should be an office phone number. You're not just asking for a "general bearing", you want a timeline. That's significantly harder to answer than where you are in the process and what steps are remaining. If your posting history is correct, you're also only about 10 months into the process, some folks have waited 2 years for highly-sought trades.

Interesting, I did not know that I'll have to check the DWAN then. 1000+ files seems a little much for one person to handle...
Thanks for the insight!

Hello, I am currently awaiting a CT and OT'ing to BOSN from CBT ENG. My broker stated there are 10 positions and I am #16 on the list. Just wondering from anyone's experience, would I be looking at a probable 2 year waiting period or do offers get denied putting those higher on the list having their CT granted sooner. Thank you!

Some folks will refuse offers; others may have moved on with their lives; it's impossible to predict how things will unfold.

So I just received a call today from my broker stating that he's in the process of getting me an interview for my Officer trade within SEELM (subsidized ed. entry level masters), but because I'm not currently a rank of Corporal, I may not quality. He's trying to make a few calls to find out what he can do for me, but the chances are looking slim. Is this true for SEELM -- I thought it was only for the UTPNCM?

If it's true that I need to be Corporal (which I am unable to do before graduation from my Physiotherapy Masters), do you guys have any advice on what I should do? I'm currently only BMQ-qualified as a Med A, and won't be able to do my QL3 until 2019 (when I graduate from my Masters program) since we don't have summer breaks due to placements. Obviously, I'm going to be a burden on my unit, and I'm going to feel quite useless as well, since I'm going to be a PAT for my entire NCM career before a DEO.

Just wondering if anyone knows if when you CT from PRes (Inf) to Reg (AESOP) that it triggers the payout of your CFSP/PIL? No one in my current BOR is able to answer that question and since my CT isn't effective until 15 Jan I can't ask my new CoC.

FYI I elected to take no payout until release.

Thanks!

I was hoping to get some advice from some people who've gone through the CT (with OT) process as well as having to redo the CFAT for a second or third try.

Back in August I scheduled an appointment with the BPSO to rewrite the CFAT for the third time. There's no guarantee that I'll be given the rewrite, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. All I've had to do was take an online HS level math course which I just wrote the exam for on Thursday and I feel very confident that I surpassed the military's standards of achieving a minimum of 69% in that course. So basically I'm just waiting to get my transcripts back to send to the BPSO along with a practice log of math question that I've been working on as well as a statement of why I deserve to rewrite.

I'm hoping to CT( with an OT) from the reserves. I've heard stories and did research to see how long CT (OT) take and some of them are quick while others can be dragged out. Do you guys think it would be smart to put in my CT while I wait for my CFAT waiver to go through or am I thinking to far ahead right now? I'm just trying to minimize my wait times, while studying very hard for hopefully my last chance at the rewrite.

Thanks guys

Hello All,

Apologies again if this has been answered before. I have utilized the search feature and have dug a few pages into the sticked giant OT/CT thread on the top of this forum.

I'm doing a bit more information gathering as I am planning on joining the PRes as an Army Signals Officer. I am interested in becoming a CELE Air Officer (specifically in the cyber aspect) in the future. however I've seen that (1) It doesn't appear to be offered as part of the Air Force Reserve and (2) There are no Air Force Reserve units close to my location.

I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible / probable to do an Occupational/ Component/ Elemental transfer from PRes Army SigO -> RegF CELE Air?
2. Is any of the training (i.e. BMQ, BMOQ(L)(?), CAP, BSOC) transferrable? I understand that CELE AirO's, while sharing some similarities, work in different elements and probably widely different systems, so additional training will definitely be required.
3. Does anyone know of someone who's transferred from PRes Army SigO -> RegF CELE Air?

I have consulted the CFRC as well as Sigs Reg Recruiting NCO who mentioned that there is currently interest for fully qualified Army Sig Officers from PRes to RegF so that there are transfers happening but didn't indicate as to anything specifying Army -> CELE Air.

Thanks in advance for all the information.

Hello, I have just received my CT letter and it comes with a "No Cost" Move.  I live in a city on the PLD list and I am being posted to the same city (hence no move), will I still be entitled to PLD?

luttrellfan said:
I was hoping to get some advice from some people who've gone through the CT (with OT) process as well as having to redo the CFAT for a second or third try.

Back in August I scheduled an appointment with the BPSO to rewrite the CFAT for the third time. There's no guarantee that I'll be given the rewrite, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. All I've had to do was take an online HS level math course which I just wrote the exam for on Thursday and I feel very confident that I surpassed the military's standards of achieving a minimum of 69% in that course. So basically I'm just waiting to get my transcripts back to send to the BPSO along with a practice log of math question that I've been working on as well as a statement of why I deserve to rewrite.

I'm hoping to CT( with an OT) from the reserves. I've heard stories and did research to see how long CT (OT) take and some of them are quick while others can be dragged out. Do you guys think it would be smart to put in my CT while I wait for my CFAT waiver to go through or am I thinking to far ahead right now? I'm just trying to minimize my wait times, while studying very hard for hopefully my last chance at the rewrite.

Thanks guys

You'd be stupid not to put it in in now. It won't get actioned tomorrow.

Lumber said:
They don't decide on your CT. This should all have been explained to you by your chain of command.

All the PSO does is interview you and make an assessment as to whether or not you would be suitable for the trade you are applying to CT to.

Once he's interviewed you, he'll write a "PSO's Assessment" and send it back to your unit/Ottawa.

Each base is different, and I don't know if there is a Standard. The report is very short and literally could be done in an hour after your interview. However, if the PSO you're be interviewed at is the in the GTA... then it could be a few months...
What happens once the PSO's Assess. is sent to the unit? The unit decides? Who makes things happen? Do you know the process?

Just wondering what exactly are the steps taken in a CT from RES to REGF.
1. Mbr applies
2. Mbr chosen
3. PSO interview
Then what exactly happens from here on?
Is there always pso interview involved or is it only when transfering to a spec trade? Because ive heard of guys going straight to reg without an interview (however they were keeping same trade, maybe this is why?)

Just wondering what exactly are the steps taken in a CT from RES to REGF.
1. Mbr applies
2. Mbr chosen
3. PSO interview
Then what exactly happens from here on?
Is there always pso interview involved or is it only when transfering to a spec trade? Because ive heard of guys going straight to reg without an interview (however they were keeping same trade, maybe this is why?)

You can CT, or CT/OT.  If you do a straight CT (staying in trade) there is no need for the PSO interview; you've already met the standard for the trade.  If changing trades, there will be an interview, and potentially other selection mechanisms (MPAC, Aircrew, NOAB etc).

If you are OT'ing, the PSO interview will occur prior to selection.

dapaterson said:
You can CT, or CT/OT.  If you do a straight CT (staying in trade) there is no need for the PSO interview; you've already met the standard for the trade.  If changing trades, there will be an interview, and potentially other selection mechanisms (MPAC, Aircrew, NOAB etc).

If you are OT'ing, the PSO interview will occur prior to selection.
i am ot ct from res inf to reg mse op. After pso interview, he will make an assessment. Where does he send that? What are the final processes...

contact your broker, they will be able to give you the info youre looking for and keep you in the loop of whats happening with your CT

I am an infantry reservist of 2 years. Currently in college for police foundations first year. By the time i transfer to reg force Ill most likely have 4+ years as a reservist(Joined at 16) so I have several questions as follows:
1) My primary goal is to get into the MP's however if I don't, I'm debating between Vehicle Tech and MSEOP. I'm wondering which trade is the more ideal backup/go? I like the Infantry part time however, It's not something I want to be doing with my entire career. I did a co-op at Honda back in high school which I was told i did fairly well at. Ideally I am trying to get into the police force civilian side but I'm being realistic and looking at my options in the military.
2) Will I start at a higher pay rate than private pay rate 1 with my past military experience?
3) Is there PT in battalion daily with service trades like MSEOP and Vtech? I'm in shape I'd like to stay that way.
4) Chances of me needing to re-do BMQ/Land? (Aware the trades course I will need to do)
5) Bit of off the topic question however, just curious if dogs are allowed on base/ is it a common occurrence to own a dog while active duty?

Thanks for any information.

1. only you can really decide. Do the research on the trades and figure out which best suits you.  In the cases listed a good start would be do you prefer driving or fixing vehicles ( I would be MSEOP).
2. that will depend on when you get the ct.  There is a calculation they will do based on what is shown on your MPRR to determine this answer.
3.  this will depend on where you are posted.  I have had postings that are PT on your own an other that was group PT and an other that was a mix of own PT with group every Friday.
4.  normally non-trade courses are granted so no you shouldn't have to redo your BMQs
5.  I have owned dogs since 2004 and lived in PMQ at one point.  Just be aware that there can be challenges if you are single such as who takes care of your pets if you are deployed for 6 months or a year.  Also there was a recent policy/canforgen?? issued in regards to dogs in the work place, basics was that it must be a certified service dog and authorized by the CO.  The common practice of bringing rover into work simply because you want to is not within regs.

Back