• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator Research

Just to add to that,

If you want information on the COMM RSCH trade, the only information authorized to be given out is whats on the forces.ca website. You can try to talk to a 291'er about it, but you'll get only as far as I did, and that was a lot of "... i can't talk about that".

Good luck with the application process.

I will take everyone's advice. Thank you all for your help :). Throughout the reading I did..I found some terms I didn't know. I'll have to look around for a topic of terms for Research Comm.

Hey,I just Finished the new BMQ today.

Im a future Comm research i was wondering
what should i do to prepare myself for the course (QL3)
And my SQ that will be this summer.
Any tips would be most appreciated

Thanks!

Olmstead said:
Hey,I just Finished the new BMQ today.

Im a future Comm research i was wondering
what should i do to prepare myself for the course (QL3)
And my SQ that will be this summer.
Any tips would be most appreciated

Thanks!

Hey Olmstead,

When you get to PRETC if they haven't set up a concurrent Math tutorial (for POET and Comm Rsch) session like they started when I was there, get a hold of the Math 1030 booklet, and practice. You are required to get at least 70% on the test to continue on (it's a PO check). Other than that, you can't really work on much as the course material is all in Kingston, and my course had no problem picking up the infomation in class (remember coffee or RedBulls down in the canteen) good luck! Soon you'll be done QL3 phase 1 and on EWAT.

Thanks for the info.
But where can i get these Math books...
Im Actually French so..I will need lots of practice..Since im guessing all the term names are not actually the same

Thanks once more!

Olmstead said:
Thanks for the info.
But where can i get these Math books...
Im Actually French so..I will need lots of practice..Since im guessing all the term names are not actually the same

Thanks once more!

Depends what happens. Where are you right now? The day after grad in St Jean I was shipped via van to CFB Borden and put on Post-Recruit Education and Training Centre (PRETC). I have heard rumors that CFB Kingston will be taking care of PAT platoon soon, but I don't know if this has become a reality yet. Let me know where you end up, and I can suggest who to talk to reference this.

Right now i am currently in the reserves..And i am with 763 comms
So im guessing its quite different my sq is in meaford...and after that..I should
Be doing drive wheel THEN QL3.

Hi I have a question about the Maths contents of the training. How heavy is the maths?  Are we talking something like Laplace equations, fast fourier transforms, how to calculate inductance for a radio part, etc?

Thanks

5parta said:
Hi I have a question about the Maths contents of the training. How heavy is the maths?  Are we talking something like Laplace equations, fast fourier transforms, how to calculate inductance for a radio part, etc?

Thanks

Don't worry about the math, it's Grade 12 level at the most and we don't even use it.

Anyone have any idea how long a 291'er can expect to stay in PRETC after BMQ these days? I'm wondering how many courses they are running this year or next year.

depends...you will need to do your sq first,and phase1 runs about every 2 months,so if everything lines up right for you about a month on pretc

To start the course,
You dont need your SQ before phase 1 ... but that would be benefit to you if you take it before ( position avalable between your phase 1 and phase 2 Would be better)

Donht think being in phase 1 juste a month after your bmq but more 3 ... pretc admin is very long

Agreed with below.

You don't need SQ prior to Phase 1, but it's more than beneficial.

Remember after Ph1, go do French language training if it's offered!

Im interested in comm research op in the reserves. I'm wondering how applicable this trade is to civilian IT work?

Ever known anyone that has left the armed forces and walked into a good paying civilian IT job?

I like the fact that this trade is in all 3 branches of armed forces, because Im hoping for opportunities to travel. However from what I understand, it isn't computer related. It is more electronics. True or false?

I should add that I'm also interested in Sig Ops. That trade is appears more computer related, but it is only in the army branch. I'm looking for opportunities to travel. If anyone can comment on this, that would be great. thx.

reallylongnickname said:
Im interested in comm research op in the reserves. I'm wondering how applicable this trade is to civilian IT work?

Not comm research, not touching this one.

On a related note, I know reservist sig ops who used to be comm research guys. Try to talk to both trades (in person) as much as you can and try to avoid the hassle of a transfer after the fact.

Ever known anyone that has left the armed forces and walked into a good paying civilian IT job?

Sure.

I like the fact that this trade is in all 3 branches of armed forces, because Im hoping for opportunities to travel. However from what I understand, it isn't computer related. It is more electronics. True or false?

I should add that I'm also interested in Sig Ops. That trade is appears more computer related, but it is only in the army branch. I'm looking for opportunities to travel. If anyone can comment on this, that would be great. thx.

Sig op more computer-related than comm research? Nope. I know sig ops whose jobs are pretty computer-related, but for what you might be doing at a reservist outfit? Unless you call troubleshooting CI's computer-related, I'd say not.

Your 3's will feature typing and and a week full of "this is a mouse. It's a pointing device used along with a keyboard to input information into a computer."

I'm not saying don't be a sig op, but go to your local unit and talk to folks and learn about the job. It's got a techie angle, most of the satisfied sig ops I know are rather geeky, but to say it's a computer-related trade is a misnomer.

Check out truck, hook up to generator trailer, drive to location. Figure out where everything's going to go. Back up truck, drop trailer. Site truck. Set up whip antenna, establish communications if you can. Fire up generator. Set up better antennas. Tear everything down. Rinse, repeat.

EDIT: A sig op related misnomer you may have read off the job description: "Manage and administer local area networks (LANs) and local distribution networks". The term LAN doesn't mean what you think it does here. It's talking about a sort of an interface system we use within our vehicles. It has zip to do with PCs and ethernet cards.

Unless you live in Kingston, you cannot be a reserve comm research. If you want opportunities to travel, then the Reg Force is more suitable for you as there aren't that many opportunities in the reserves, especially for newly trained people. The purple trade thing is Reg Force only. Most of the IT stuff is found in the Reg Force and not the reserves.

meni0n said:
Unless you live in Kingston, you cannot be a reserve comm research.

Or Ottawa.

Ironicly had a buddy named Kingston who was reserve comm research from there.

She CT'd to reg force, but at least as of last year they were still hiring reserve comm research there.

Brasidas said:
EDIT: A sig op related misnomer you may have read off the job description: "Manage and administer local area networks (LANs) and local distribution networks". The term LAN doesn't mean what you think it does here. It's talking about a sort of an interface system we use within our vehicles. It has zip to do with PCs and ethernet cards.

Have you seen the latest upgrades to tactical radio networks? ATHENE or the new EPLRS system? Everything now is going to be moving to IPv4 (and when the Army catches up to the real world, IPv6). SigOps will run TACNET, EPLRS, ATHENE, etc. At the reservist level, you'd be hard-pressed to find that newer kit, however. Most units will make you out to be a NCCIS monkey.... pretty much only good to JSR on callout.

PuckChaser said:
Have you seen the latest upgrades to tactical radio networks? ATHENE or the new EPLRS system? Everything now is going to be moving to IPv4 (and when the Army catches up to the real world, IPv6). SigOps will run TACNET, EPLRS, ATHENE, etc. At the reservist level, you'd be hard-pressed to find that newer kit, however. Most units will make you out to be a NCCIS monkey.... pretty much only good to JSR on callout.

He's coming from the street, possibly gotten a song and dance from a class B recruiter on a parade night at his comm reserve squadron, and believes that a reserve sig op's going to be doing a computer-related trade.

I've seen some unit recruiters that were pretty ineffective in providing clear information to folks before. Dealt with one firsthand when I got back in.

What he may or may not be exposed to during a deployment or longterm class B is relevant to him, but he should be aware that as a QL3/5 class A reservist he's probably not going to be administering anything resembling a conventional LAN.

The misnomer is the term "LAN". It's a valid term within C&E, and dealing with LANs and LDNs is nothing to sneaze at, but the layman reading the quoted point is going to think resetting schmucks' forgotten passwords.

I've applied as a Communication Researh Operator 1 month ago and I am qualified for it as my recruiter said.

I can't wait for the BMQ to start, I've did it 10 years ago and I just loved it. (Had to release for a personal reason: death in near family...)

I promised the "Adjudant Demers" (in french) that I would come back one day and this time, nothing is gonna stop me!

Back