• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator Research

Could anyone (of either Communicator Research or Sig Op, though preferably the former since that's what my application is for) tell me if there are any diplomas or degree programs that would be applicable to the work of a Comm Research operator?

I'd like to earn a degree and/or a diploma while I'm in (obviously it'll take several years part time for both), and I know the Tuition Reimbursement policy requires it to be in line with the Operator's job, or otherwise in the interests of the CF.

I'm particularly interested in earning a Bachelor's degree of somesort, but I don't think there's any in Telecommunications or whatever else would be most applicable to someone in Comms Research.

Any recommendations?

Neo, don't worry about it being in the same field too much. It is not too strictly enforced and if you write a viable reason for taking a particular program there would be no problem in taking it. As a Sig Op I got a business diploma and in process of getting a security management certificate, so there's the proof  :)

meni0n said:
Neo, don't worry about it being in the same field too much. It is not too strictly enforced and if you write a viable reason for taking a particular program there would be no problem in taking it. As a Sig Op I got a business diploma and in process of getting a security management certificate, so there's the proof  :)

Thanks for the info. Just what I needed to know :)

Hey there just found this while I was searching for some info on this job. This is probably the best resource I could find.  :) I have a few questions about getting into this. It just seems perfect for me.... I just think I lack a high enough education. I am in high school finishing (hopefully) my last year and I am taking grade 11 college mathematics. I never have been so good in terms of working in school because I've usually known what they teach so I tend to slack off. If I just get like 60% on my final mark would I still be even considered if I applied for Communications Research Operator? I would say for military grade computer skills I might be on the low end, but for a normal civilian I have heard I am amazing. From the top of my head I have easily assembled my own computers since I was roughly 15(I am 18 now), I have coded my own functioning forum using php and mysql, I can use sockets in python to make an IRC bot, I generally understand all programming languages is I look at them. I used to do a fair amount of networking/testing when I was 15 though I had to stop for a while so I dont remember how to do as much as I did before... I am running a linux distribution that is supposed to be for advanced linux users(I wouldn't say so) so I know how to navigate and find certain files in a UNIX system. So I don't know wether I meet the computer skill for this job or not but I know more then what I had posted thats for sure... Should I even try to apply for this or is my education/grades too low for me to stand much chance of getting in?

panderiz said:
Hey there just found this while I was searching for some info on this job. This is probably the best resource I could find.  :) I have a few questions about getting into this. It just seems perfect for me.... I just think I lack a high enough education. I am in high school finishing (hopefully) my last year and I am taking grade 11 college mathematics. I never have been so good in terms of working in school because I've usually known what they teach so I tend to slack off. If I just get like 60% on my final mark would I still be even considered if I applied for Communications Research Operator? I would say for military grade computer skills I might be on the low end, but for a normal civilian I have heard I am amazing. From the top of my head I have easily assembled my own computers since I was roughly 15(I am 18 now), I have coded my own functioning forum using php and mysql, I can use sockets in python to make an IRC bot, I generally understand all programming languages is I look at them. I used to do a fair amount of networking/testing when I was 15 though I had to stop for a while so I dont remember how to do as much as I did before... I am running a linux distribution that is supposed to be for advanced linux users(I wouldn't say so) so I know how to navigate and find certain files in a UNIX system. So I don't know wether I meet the computer skill for this job or not but I know more then what I had posted thats for sure... Should I even try to apply for this or is my education/grades too low for me to stand much chance of getting in?

According to my recruiter, Comm Research requires your Grade 10, with a Recommendation for (Grade 12?) Physics and Math. Because I have Grade 12 College Math but no Physics that I was between a "Satisfactory" and "Ideal" candidate. Your mileage may vary.

In addition, the chart I received from the Recruiter that lists job requirements says under "Other Req[uirements] and Notes" says "w/ Strong Math Background."

I was wondering about the marks because since about grade 7 I was being pressured to choose a career... We all know at that age most of us don't know what we want to me... Hell I didn't even own a computer at that time. So during high school I made some not so smart decisions and slacked off alot so my grades suffered and up until this year(go figure my last year hopefully) I actually have a goal in mind for a high mark. I plan on graduating before I join the military though so I will have my credits and what not... But would a 60% be good enough for me to be considered for this? I REALLY want to enroll in this position since on the job explorer it seemed like what I wanted as well as from the video.

panderiz said:
But would a 60% be good enough for me to be considered for this?

Kid ,why don't you just apply and see what happens. Applying increases you chances of being accepted by 100%.

Hi, I picked up an app to join the forces the other day, ATIST or LCIS. I told him what I wanted to do and the recruiter asked me to consider this as a career in the military instead. As he explained it, these guys work with networking instead of repairing them like ATIST or LCIS. Which sounds like what I really want to do.

I have a background in math 12 and physics. neither are stellar due to the fact I was an idiot who didn't take high school seriously. But am sure I could past any test given.

Here are my questions
1. How would you rate this as a life long career? (just a stepping stone to another? If so, what)
2. Advanced tech. (Designing the new tech, or just being very resourceful with the old?)
3. Job satisfaction. (Does it leave you overwhelmed, or wishing for more?)

As I understand there is security with this job, so Ill pose my next question carefully.

4. Will I get to work with other Comm Rsch Ops throughout my career (besides training?) Or will I mostly be alone? (I'd like to work with others, not be alone)

If any of those questions pose a threat, feel free not to say anything and rebuke away.

*edited to remove a useless question*

*Warning: Slightly off-topic*

You guys have such great recruiting centers that they actually tell you what your trade is involved in when you ask, and that if they believe you might be better at another trade they recommend it.

Tweedledum said:
Hi, I picked up an app to join the forces the other day, ATIST or LCIS. I told him what I wanted to do and the recruiter asked me to consider this as a career in the military instead. As he explained it, these guys work with networking instead of repairing them like ATIST or LCIS. Which sounds like what I really want to do.

I have a background in math 12 and physics. neither are stellar due to the fact I was an idiot who didn't take high school seriously. But am sure I could past any test given.

Here are my questions
1. How would you rate this as a life long career? (just a stepping stone to another? If so, what)
2. Advanced tech. (Designing the new tech, or just being very resourceful with the old?)
3. Job satisfaction. (Does it leave you overwhelmed, or wishing for more?)

As I understand there is security with this job, so Ill pose my next question carefully.

4. Will I get to work with other Comm Rsch Ops throughout my career (besides training?) Or will I mostly be alone? (I'd like to work with others, not be alone)

If any of those questions pose a threat, feel free not to say anything and rebuke away.

*edited to remove a useless question*

I'll point you towards this thread: http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/45501.0 This guy is a serving Comm Research Operator and that thread can answer all four of your questions.

You just linked me to the first page of this thread. Did you mean to send me elsewhere? If not, epic fail buddy.

Tweedledum said:
You just linked me to the first page of this thread. Did you mean to send me elsewhere? If not, epic fail buddy.

Ah, I apologize; I didn't realize I had linked you back to this thread, as I was going on a Google search. But yes, somewhere in the 13 pages here are answers to all of your questions.

Thanks for the help Neo Cortex. Ill take some of my questions as answered.

this last one may sound strange but. Is there room ideas in this field? or is it strictly do as your told.

@ CDN Aviator    it was a joke. sorry it didn't go over too well. He did help me out

This is the most relevant thread to my question. I am interested in Comm Research in the Reserves (Ottawa).

I spoke to my local Signals recruiter about becoming a Signals Officer but I mentioned I was very interested in working with the actual systems. He suggested Communicator Research Operator, he talk to me about it for a while and it really seems to be what I want to do.

I am a 3rd year information technology student at Carleton University and am fairly interested with working with the CSE after I graduate, so my question is this, would being a comm researcher in the reserves help with my application? I realize that the experience would be a huge asset, but more of an asset then a Signals Officer?

My other question is by having a degree do I have any advantage being an NCM? Such as the selection process or promotion?

My final question relates to the previous. If I chose to join the regular forces as an officer in a few years, what is the process or plan for someone who already holds a degree. (A link would work fine).

Thanks for the help, I plan on seeing my recruiter again next week.

Hello ,

I am thinking about joining the CF as comms research if I can. I am currently engaged and live in Ottawa. My fiancee is a bit worried because she
has no idea what the process will be. From what we understand if chosen I will have to attend BMQ which I think is in St jean?? After that I also think I will have to go
to Kingston. Than after that I have no clue what happens. For those who have joined Comms Research what was the process. during BMQ does one have weekends off or no? What about when in kingston? After kingston what happens ? and where are you posted when finished kingston?

Thanks for your help
She is just worried she will never see me , and its causing some hesitation with her.

You should get some weekends off in St. Jean after week 4.  How many you get depends on the overall general performance of the course you are on.  The "weekends" questions has been repeatedly asked and a simple search would have answered that one.  It would be about the same in Kingston, or any other "trades training" course.  There is also some information on comms research that can be found with the search function.

Hi,

Bringing an old thread alive, I'm not sure if there's still someone to answer my questions, but I'll try it anyway!

- Would you qualify the tasks as "repetitive" for the new recruits beginning in the trade? Can you learn something new everyday?

- Does COMM RSCH only work with audio or "electronic communications" also include all kind of communicating device and media (video, internet forums/websites, cellphones, etc)?

- Do you have sea duties (cleaning, painting, etc) when you are assigned to a ship? Are the shifts 7-5, 12-12 or something else (at sea)?

Thanks for your answer(s). And no, I couldn't find my answers through the search button!

1) Depends on where you go, with any trade things can be repetitive.

2) Much of the trade is classified, I doubt you'll get any answers to these types of specific questions.

3) I'm not Navy, but I'm sure if you're aboard ship everyone pitches in. A buddy of mine is a 291er who's been to sea, I can ask for you.

Back