• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coming Changes to Infantry NCM Career Courses

Thucydides said:
I'm not as enthused about the DL part of this, since in my experience DL does not seem to provide the desired results (note this is my own observations, maybe something is skewing the results).

I am currently teaching PLQ, and during the Mod 1-3 portion we discovered the candidates had a very poor understanding of the principles of instruction (Imagine my surprise when during an impromptu review prior to the demo lesson not one candidate remembered the acronym ICEPAC until they got some heavy prompting from me), and inadequate lesson plans (not having or in many cases knowing the relevant prior lessons to review for their own lesson was one concern).

Every PLQ Residency phase that I have run I have found that the DL did not properly prepare the students.  We had the same thing, I give a demo of a skill lesson day one of the residency so for a review I ask what does ICEPAC stand for and get blank looks in return.  I  am scared that with a greater relience on DL students are not going to arrive with the required background and skills to be effective.

DL is a challenge, and yet, there it is.  I'm not sure how all DL is done for various courses, but my own not-well-informed take on it is that the candidates have to have a bit more experience for it to work well AND the material has to be presented in a manner that allows for the candidates to absorb the material....

The DL phase for 3B infantry works very well. I found it saved us from the hum drum of having to sit through many lectures, we did not have to add 3 weeks to being in Gagetown. However, your typical 3B infantry student is what? 30-35 years old with 12-16 years expirience on average?

I would say DL is more appropriate for mature and expirienced trainees.

I do have issues with the ILQ DL. Thats a different topic altogether.

Rick,

Agreed, the DL for senior soldiers who have an initial training and background works great.  However for the PLQ course where they are first learning material, I have yet to see a course arrive knowing what they should.  We spend a lot of time re-teaching material that they were supposed to have been taught (how to write lesson plans, ICEPAC...) Unfortunately having students on DL saves the CF money and I think that is their ultimate concern.

We will not even get into what I think about the entire ILQ package (now called ILP).

The other thing that really helped with 3B INF is that you do weekly tele-conference calls (Confirm with the SME what your supposed to be learning).

If they insist on doing this for PLQ, maybe having a weekly or more teleconference call would be more ideal so they can understand  things ICEPAC.

Reviving a necrothread here- I'm reading the draft AITC, and have noted that at the ATCs there is, this summer, a 'PRes DP1 Infantry Mods 1 and 2" and a "PRes DP1 Infantry Mod 2 Only"; the first beign two months, the latter only one.

Has the PRes adopted the RegF system whereby we don't do the BMQ(L) that everyone else does, and instead it's been rolled into a comprehensive DP1 Inf mods 1 and 2, with those currently sitting on the SQ course granted a Mod 1 equivalency?

I'll be in the position of working as my unit Ops NCO and having to fill recruit courses this summer- clarification would be appreciated.

Brihard said:
Reviving a necrothread here- I'm reading the draft AITC, and have noted that at the ATCs there is, this summer, a 'PRes DP1 Infantry Mods 1 and 2" and a "PRes DP1 Infantry Mod 2 Only"; the first beign two months, the latter only one.

Has the PRes adopted the RegF system whereby we don't do the BMQ(L) that everyone else does, and instead it's been rolled into a comprehensive DP1 Inf mods 1 and 2, with those currently sitting on the SQ course granted a Mod 1 equivalency?

I'll be in the position of working as my unit Ops NCO and having to fill recruit courses this summer- clarification would be appreciated.
I got this from the TP off of the documentum:

11. As directed in B-GL-300-008, Training Canada’s Army, To enhance the ability of the Army to train Primary Reservists, this training programme has been modularized to meet the requirements of both the Regular Force and Primary Reserve. The Regular Force training will consist of 62 training days. Of these 62 days the Primary Reserve must complete essential training which will require a maximum of 43 training days not including administration and will be delivered in 2 modules of 20.2 or 21 training days for Mod 1 and 21.5 or 22 training days for Mod 2. When joining the Regular Force, P Res members who do not meet the equivalencies as outlined in LFCO 24–20 must complete the Supplementary training as outlined in chapter one of this TP. The 62 training days are broken down as follows:

I hope this helps and is relevant for you.

Back