• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

what's your field ex for? I am doing my sq field ex there from today to thursday...

Thats too bad, we got some good training done there. Any word as to why they are specifically shuttin' er down?

We were going to be doing Platoon level Urban Operations.  As for a specific reason why, none was given to me.

The RCN Housing Facility "Shannon Park" was declared surplus several years ago by DND primarily
because the Canadian Navy did not have the resources, nor the Canadian Forces Housing Agency
to upgrade the buildings, then several decades old. There were several plans advocated by the
Halifax Regional Municipality, Canada Lands Corporation, DND, and private sector developers. One
concept was to demolish the still highly servicable buildings, and turn the area into a football stadium
(predicated on Halifax HRM attracting a Canadian Football League team, which was laughed out of
credibility when the cost of the proposed stadium, not including the cost of the DND lands was
estimated at $60 million plus) Halifax HRM cannot because of its population, support a CFL Team
determined by a major study funded in part by the Government of Canada. There were proposals
to upgrade the facilities, which eventually reached the Minister responsible for Housing, MP Joe
Fontana, who last week in Halifax announced that the facilities would be renovated and provided
as housing for low income families. This is a highly acceptable idea, but we have indicated to the
local MP's from Halifax that care must be exercised to ensure Canadian Forces Personnel are provided
with access to new and upgraded housing, as older facilities become time worn and redundent. Thus
far there has been no reaction from CF or DND. Regards MacLeod

I wonder if it's true and if somebody has info on this.

It might be a local thing only...

The worst is that it would be something close to 100$.
But i don't want to spread any rumors here

Hi all,

If any of you read/speak French, there is an ongoing thread about this in the French Forum. Unfortunately, I don't, so I can't tell you what they're saying. Maybe something tangible over there.    :)

All the best    Drummy

You're right Drummy ,i started this in the french section, in order to reach everybody who could answer on this!!!

Every November new rents take effect.  This is done across the country.

delavan said:
The worst is that it would be something close to 100$.
That is the maximum that CFHA can raise the rent in any year.  Some PMQs may go up by that much and others may not.

The last time I lived in a "Q" was '99 and I swear i will never do it again! The living room window in our bungalow in Shilo was cracked around the frame; there was actually a gap in the wall in places so that you could see outside. In the winter there would be ice on the floor in the living room and on the walls. In the duplex we moved into the bathroom was upstairs on the second floor and the toilet leaked so bad the ceiling in the kitchen was sagging from the moisture. After months of calling CFHA finally sent a contractor in to do repairs and the man was embarrased as all he was allowed to do was tape the ceiling and paint. It took 2 people to close the dining room window; one person pushed from outside while the other turned the crank on the inside. Our inspections were no picnic either. CFHA gave us a white glove inspection. I was actually told I had to spray the dust off the siding. I couldn't believe the standards to which I had to clean when they would only patch things that needed major repairs. And every single bathroom I've ever been in in a "Q" has black mold on the tiles and the basements all leak. When you compare the problems with the rising cost of rents you are much better off living on the economy or buying a home. As for not being able to afford economy housing it's really not the cost of the housing the lower ranks can't afford it's the cost of the housing plus the car payments and new furniture/computer payments. And as for cleaning costs being only $100.....................I've never seen them lower than $350 for a 2 bedroom bungalow and close to $500 for a duplex ( the cost is so high because it's covered in your move pkg by IRP )

AmmoTech90 said:
PMQ rent doesn't always go up...mine went down by a whole five bucks last assessment!

Just thought I'd thow that out there.

What I was told by CFHA if you have a rent decrease on your last assessment your rent has already equalized to the local martket value of the home. So if the market goes up so will the rent if the market go down again so will your rent. The scary fact if a house on the local market is in far better shape and conditon and any PMQ out there. When I was posted to Cold Lake it was impossible to buy a house they were way too expensive so I had no choice but to move into a PMQ. they have you by the BALLS in areas like those.
Now I am in Trenton my house is the same size I don't have a garage like I did in Cold Lake and my rent is almost $100 more.
Still saving for that down payment  :)

I have my "Statement and demand for municipal and school taxes" in front of me.  No PMQs avail.  $3809.71.  Yes, the $56 PLD (taxable) will go a long way towards that.  Crocodile tears all round, mates.

Good old talk about PMQ's.  In Kingston, we had a 1050 sq ft 2bdrm duplex.  We paid $650/month,  plus hydro was about $60-70 per month, plus the water of $15 (I think?)... then there came the gas bill  ::)  If it werent for the Equal Billing Payment plan, in the winter we would have been paying $230-$290 for heat for our tiny duplex.  All because of the lovely 1/2" gap between the door in our backyard, and the doorframe, and the gaps from the window's as well.  Needless to say in the summer, we got spiders, mosquitos,ants, earwigs, everything coming in from back there.  The draft was terrible as well.  Not to mention we had a closet that was growing mould very quicly a few months after we moved in, and it took 2 months for CFHA to come in and look at it.Within those two months they just told us to wash the walls with bleach, they refused to come over and look at it. They never did until we called Ottawa about it, then the next day an inspector showed up and he was horrified that we had more mould on the wall, then the white paint.  They had to tear down the jiprock and all, and Preventive Medicine said it was due to poor insulation.  Yet, cfha had the nerve to try to make us pay for this (almost $1000) when the PMed Officer said it was not our fault.  The bill went up the chain of command, only to come back down saying we were not responsible due to what PMed said. Then the day of our move, our housing manager came to our door yet again, and told us to give us the money or she would not seize our rent. So, after talking to the CO the day our movers were there, we paid it and filed a greivance (still waiting to get the $$ back).

So, needless to say we will never move back into a PMQ.  Its not worth the hassle of what they try to make you responsible for,  plus the price of a house that hasnt been maintained , plus the utilities that suffer because of the lack of maintnance,  it wasnt worth the $900+ we were paying in total per month.  We would have moved, but on a Ocdt pay the $$ dont just pop out of nowhere to pay all the costs for moving.

Just thought Id put in our horrid CFHA experience here.

I might go to college and if I do I will live in the dorms. The college I am thinking about going to is close to the unit but out of walking/ running distance. I probably won't have a car because I can't afford it. So I was thinking of taking a bus to the armouries. If I do this am I aloud to wear my combats on the bus or just change when I get there? Also do they offer housing to reserve guys? if so is it expensive? I don't want to come off like a cheap skate but I probably wont have a lot of money.

thanks

I see many people in Halifax ride the bus to/from work in NCD's and CADPAT. It is an approved "Walking Out" dress therefore there should be no reason why you wouldn't be permitted to wear your uniform on the bus.

As for housing for Reservists, unless you are on a full time callout, I would believe that you are out of luck.

Navalsnipr said:
I see many people in Halifax ride the bus to/from work in NCD's and CADPAT. It is an approved "Walking Out" dress therefore there should be no reason why you wouldn't be permitted to wear your uniform on the bus.

Quite true.  Commuting to/from your unit in any order of dress is acceptable with two caveats:

1. Ensure your uniform is presentable (wearing mud covered CADPAT home from an exercise will not make you popular with a cab driver)
2. Many public transit providers frown on large carry-on items such as rucksacks and duffel bags.  Store your field kit at your unit.

As for housing for Reservists, unless you are on a full time callout, I would believe that you are out of luck.

Again, true.  While on Class "A" service, housing is an individual responsibility.  If you're on a call out of a year or more you can get free rations and quarters if any are available.  Failing that you can apply for subsidzed housing on some (but not all) bases.

As a retired soldier, I retired in 1980 with 27 full years of service. I bought my first home in London in 1966. I was a Cpl, and  after being offered a 2 bedroom PMQ, when I had  a wife and 2 kids...the home was not big enough for a family. So I went out on the market bought a brand new home. I scraped together the downpayment, the interest rate was 7% then. After getting transferred to Montreal in 1971, selling my home in London, then buying a home outside of Montreal. I got posted to Calgary 1976.  I sold my home outside of Montreal. I couldn't take time to go to Calgary to find a place...so I was lucky and got a 4 bdrm unit semi-detached. I had 4 children now. . The neighbours told me that that was the dirtiest home in the PMQ's. The soldier who was there had walked away from the army and his family. So when she left, she packed up her kids and walked. The unit was then painted with gloss white paint...right over all the dirt...when we arrived..it was take it or walk...A truck load of furniture, and a wife and 4 young children. I then started looking for a home off the base..I did, I bought a place, and only spent 3 months in PMQ's. I was then posted to Toronto in 1979. I sold my house for a considerable profit.

My story is...I would never live in a PMQ again. I got some wifes in Calgary to picket the front gate of the base over the housing conditions...and their husbands got in trouble...or as I said they "chickened out" and let the army screw them...that's them not me.

I see people living in PMQ's and making good money...and don't tell me you don't make good money. I see all the pickup trucks, the boats, the campers...all the toys..Joe down the road gets a new truck ...you all got to get a new truck.

I see people retiring, who don't have a pot to piss in, they then have to adjust to a new life, and maybe try to buy a home, and start a mortgage...it's too damn late.

Just stop buying the "Toys for Big Boys" and save some money for a down payment...the interest rates are at lowest in over half a century...I was paying over 14%  on a mortgage once. I invested in a home, and to me it payed off in spades...it's your choice...Toys for Big Boys....or a home for your family...all paid off when you retire.

I only made it to Sgt., pay level 6...my top pay in 1979 was $20,000/year

So the moral of the story is don't complain...buy a home and move out, or rent off base, and get away from that PMQ mentality

The choice is yours

Back