• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BS Baffles Brains

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
I found this column, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the National Post, to be very insigtful:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/08/29/kelly-mcparland-maybe-what-the-u-s-economy-needs-is-another-bill-clinton/
Maybe what the U.S. economy needs is another Bill Clinton

Kelly McParland

Aug 29, 2012

When you think about it, it’s absurd to expect any average voter to decide which of the two candidates for U.S. president will be better at handling the economy.

People who have spent their lives in the business of budgets and economies can’t agree. They can’t even come close. Not only can they not agree on what’s likely to happen in the future, they can’t concur on what happened in the past. The United States government may collect and disseminate more information on the economic state of the nation than any other single entity on earth, yet the biggest brains on the planet can look at them and reach opposite conclusions.

Here’s an example. Some time ago Forbes magazine ran an article titled, “Who is the Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe it’s Barack Obama?” It was accompanied by a chart of annualized growth in federal spending showing that Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush were by far the most profligate spenders, with Reagan boosting expenditures 8.7% in his first term and Bush 8.1% in his second. Obama’s number? 1.4%.

Evidently writers at Forbes don’t read Forbes, though, because three weeks after it ran the first article, it ran another titled “President Obama: The Biggest Government Spender in World History.”

Both could be accurate of course. If Bush was the biggest spender in U.S. presidential history, and Obama spent one extra dollar (to fight the recession), that would make him the most profligate ever. But the confusion goes beyond that.  The Wall Street Journal has made it clear in any number of ways that it doesn’t like Obama or his spending policies. So when Rex Nutting wrote in the Journal’s MarketWatch feature that the “Obama spending binge never happend,” it caused much consternation.

“Almost everyone believes that Obama has presided over a massive increase in federal spending, an “inferno” of spending that threatens our jobs, our businesses and our children’s future. Even Democrats seem to think it’s true,” Nutting wrote.

“But it didn’t happen. Although there was a big stimulus bill under Obama, federal spending is rising at the slowest pace since Dwight Eisenhower brought the Korean War to an end in the 1950s.”
He went on the provide a number of statistics, then explained: “What people forget (or never knew) is that the first year of every presidential term starts with a budget approved by the previous administration and Congress. The president only begins to shape the budget in his second year. It takes time to develop a budget and steer it through Congress — especially in these days of congressional gridlock.” So many of the spending decisions that caused such outrage in Obama’s first year were actually made by Bush.

Defending Obama is not Journal policy, though, so it quickly remedied the situation with a rebuttal by Stephen Moore and Art Laffer (of Laffer curve fame) which conceded that Mr. Bush had indeed been an appalling spender.

“Mr. Bush and Republicans in Congress capitulated to and even promoted each and every government bailout and populist redistribution canard put before them. It’s a long list, starting with the 2003 trillion-dollar Medicare prescription drug benefit and culminating with the actions taken to stem the 2008 financial meltdown—the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program, the bailout of insurance giant AIG and government-sponsored lenders Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the ill-advised 2008 $600-per-person tax rebate, the stimulus add-ons to 2007′s housing and farm bills, etc.”
But Obama made it worse — w-a-a-a-a-y worse, they said, even though his policies were largely a continuation of Bush’s.  And Moore/Laffer blame the Bush expenditures on Congress, because that’s where left-wing Democrat demons Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid were in charge. (Later, when Obama was unable to get congressional approval even to pay the national debt, it was his fault, of course, and not the Tea Party zealots who had been voted in at mid-term determined to stymie his every move).

When Forbes and the Wall Street Journal, two very respected financial publications, can’t even agree with themselves, how is anyone else supposed to decide? In 2005, before Obama was available to blame for the economy, the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank founded by the Koch brothers, who most Democrats revile as corporate capitalist bloodsuckers, complained:

“President Bush has presided over the largest overall increase in inflation-adjusted federal spending since Lyndon B. Johnson. Even after excluding spending on defense and homeland security, Bush is still the biggest-spending president in 30 years. His 2006 budget doesn’t cut enough spending to change his place in history, either.

Total government spending grew by 33 percent during Bush’s first term. The federal budget as a share of the economy grew from 18.5 percent of GDP on Clinton’s last day in office to 20.3 percent by the end of Bush’s first term.”
If right-wingers like Cato figure Republicans can’t be trusted with the economy, maybe it’s appropriate that it took the soft-liberal  Washington Post to analyze the pro-Obama Nutting numbers in detail and declare them wanting. While Bush’s people proposed spending bills, it was Obama’s who passed many of them and wrote the cheques, it notes. How you apportion that money has a major affect on who gets blamed for the spending.  The Bush administration launched TARP, which proposed giving hundreds of billions to the banks, but Obama was president when the banks paid it back. So Bush gets tagged with the spending, Obama with a cut because of the payback. Fair? Not really.

There’s plenty of that involved. The Post argues Obama is an authentic big spender, because he spends more as a percentage of the economy (24%) than the average of other presidents going back 65 years (20%). But he also has the biggest recession in that time, so naturally his percentage will be high.

Perhaps most telling is the fact that Obama mainly looks bad if you compare him to another Democrat, the tight-fisted Bill Clinton, not any of the three previous Republicans. Laffer says it’s “amazing” how much government spending fell during Clinton’s eight years as president and how low it was when he left office. So maybe what America needs is another Clinton as president? Mention that at the GOP convention and watch their faces.

National Post

A lot of us, here on Army.ca, me included, cite economic data and economic opinions to support or oppose this that or the other government and its policies and actions. Do we really understand what we're saying or are we just "cherry picking" opinions that support our views? A bit of the former, I hope but, mostly, for most of us (me included), it's the latter.

So, a bit of caution, readers: maybe what America needs is Bill Clinton, again and, maybe, in 2012, Democrat Bill Clinton ≈ Republican Mitt Romney.

But, I'm putting this here, in the Canadian politics thread, because Kelly McParland might just as well have said: "it’s absurd to expect any average voter to decide which of the ... candidates for [any elected office in Canada] will be better at handling the economy ...  people who have spent their lives in the business of budgets and economies can’t agree. They can’t even come close. Not only can they not agree on what’s likely to happen in the future, they can’t concur on what happened in the past."

Caveat lector!

"Total government spending" in many countries grows because of legislation that was signed decades prior - entitlements.  There has been much recent one-time (theoretically) spending (wars, TARP, ARRA, various gimmicks to goose economic growth) which, also theoretically, should go away.

I am interested to see whether the war funding, which was off-budget precisely because it was not part of the customary annual expenditures (hence subject to separate appropriations), remains in perpetuity now that it is on-budget.

Ummmm... wasn't it the Clinton administration that started the whole Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac fiasco?

Yeah....he wanted all the people to have access to housing of their own.....

Don't forget about the overturning of glass-steagal act which prohibited investment and commercial banks being one and the same.  What happens after that? you get massive CITI corporation and banks gambling trillions of peoples deposits, also paving the way for the 2008 meltdown (along with fannie/freddie).
Absolutely an extremely charmismatic and charming leader, but same old "big money, bone the people" underneath it all.  Perhaps just "same turd with a different bow" fits as well.

In this case it Andrew Coyne's "brains" responding to Thomas Mulcair's "BS," in this column which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the National Post:

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/09/19/andrew-coyne-trade-deficit-canadas-newest-economic-hobgoblin/
Trade deficit Canada’s new economic hobgoblin

Andrew Coyne

Sep 19, 2012

A trade deficit can be as much a sign of strength as weakness

“The whole aim of practical politics,” said H. L. Mencken, “is to keep the populace in a continual state of alarm (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing them with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

As usual, Mencken was understating things. Had he lived in present-day Canada, he would have seen the hobgoblins marching, not single file, but in mobs. Hollowing out. Dutch disease. “Dead money.” All supposed menaces to the populace — among a long list — all provably imaginary (see Coyne, A., passim).

Indeed, it’s hard out there for a hobgoblin. While no one would mistake these for boom times, the reality is that the Canadian economy remains in relatively good shape. Unemployment is at 7.3%: a percentage point higher than it was at its pre-recession low, but lower than at almost any other time in the last 40 years. (And headed lower: the TD Bank predicts by this time next year it will be below 7%, on its way to 6.)

Poverty, even when measured against a moving target like Statistics Canada’s Low Income Cut Off, is at its lowest level in at least 40 years, perhaps ever: 9% as of 2010, versus 15% just a few years ago. Inflation is low, growth is steady, if unspectacular. Median incomes have resumed rising, after a brief interruption, having increased by 20% after inflation over the previous two decades.

So if you are an opposition leader, and you wish to convince the populace we are in the midst of, as Tom Mulcair told his caucus yesterday, “an unprecedented economic downturn” (unhelpfully, the Liberals were at the same time claiming credit for “the underlying economic strength of the country”), what do you do? You send out for another hobgoblin. Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce: the Record Trade Deficit!

A non-issue until about a week ago, the NDP has suddenly seized upon the trade deficit as its primary index of the general unprecedentedness of things. “Canada’s growing trade deficit is ringing alarm bells,” claims a party press release, quoting no less an authority than NDP trade critic Don Davies. “In July, Canada ran the worst merchandise trade deficit in history,” quoth Davies, “and it’s not an isolated event.”

Indeed. “Mr. Speaker, when the Conservatives took office, Canada had a $26-billion trade surplus,” Mulcair thundered Tuesday, in one of several interventions on the subject. “Today, Canada has a $50-billion trade deficit, which is an all-time high. How can the Prime Minister explain this failure to Canadians?”

The notion that trade deficits are some sort of economic blight, or that policy should aim at earning a trade surplus (invariably described in the press as “healthy”) is perhaps the oldest of all economic fallacies. It was indeed the point of Adam Smith’s work to suggest “the wealth of nations” lay in the welfare of their people, and that the purpose of trade was to raise their living standards, rather than to earn gold for the king. Yet two centuries later, the same mercantilist superstitions — exports good, imports bad — appear to inform the thinking of our leading opposition party.

Exactly why there should be any necessary relation between the amount of goods and services a country sells to others and the amount it buys is never explained, so self-evident is it taken to be. Often the same principle is invoked, not only with regard to trade generally, but to specific countries or commodities: thus, “we continue to suffer a deficit with Japan in autos.”

POP QUIZ: does Ontario have a trade deficit with Alberta? How much? Don’t know? If it doesn’t matter to you when it comes to trade between provinces, what makes it a subject of such all-consuming importance between nations? Right: because those other countries are populated by foreigners. And what do those foreigners get in return for their trade surplus with Canada? They get lots of lovely, multi-coloured Canadian dollars, good for spending … in Canada. They can buy more Canadian goods and services, or they can invest in Canadian businesses.

The trade deficit, in other words, is only one part of our overall balance of payments. And the balance of payments must balance: whatever deficit we have on trade (technically, the current account, a broader measure that includes, for example, payments on investments) is necessarily offset by an equal and opposite surplus on the capital account. That’s not an accident, or a wish. It’s an accounting identity.

Or turn it around. Suppose Canada were the hottest investment destination on earth. Foreigners are lining up to put their money down. But they can only lend us the Canadian dollars they earn by trading with us. So one way or another a current account deficit must result. The balance of payments must balance.

If the causes of a trade deficit are so uncertain, so is its meaning. It can suggest an underlying problem: if, for example, those foreign funds were being borrowed, not to fuel productive investment but to feed current consumption, as is typically the case with government deficits. But there’s no particular significance to a trade deficit in itself.

Indeed, it can be as much a sign of strength as weakness. A country whose economy is growing relatively slowly, compared to its trading partners, will buy rather less from them, and sell rather more. Its trade deficit will accordingly shrink. Conversely, a country that is growing quicker than its partners will experience an increase in its trade deficit. POP QUIZ: Which country would you rather live in?

Exactly!

Brilliant! Best piece of writing I've read all month, no thanks to the CBC and their slander.

JorgSlice said:
Brilliant! Best piece of writing I've read all month, no thanks to the CBC and their slander.

Actually, it isn't really "brilliant," in fact it's just fairly basic undergraduate economics. The sad thing is that some many Canadians, including the overwhelming majority of journalists - no matter what their political inclinations - are economically illiterate, so unable to sort fact from fiction that Thomas Mulcair's nonsense is given some credence.

E.R. Campbell said:
Actually, it isn't really "brilliant," in fact it's just fairly basic undergraduate economics. The sad thing is that some many Canadians, including the overwhelming majority of journalists - no matter what their political inclinations - are economically illiterate, so unable to sort fact from fiction that Thomas Mulcair's nonsense is given some credence.

Brilliant in comparison to the bland, same old act by our friendly neighbourhood Left Wing. It makes me wonder sometimes, are politicians educated in Economics? You'd think that along side your Political Science degree, you'd be studying Commerce or Economics in order to come out as close to the definition of "well-rounded politician" that you can get, right? I'm no economic genius either (actually, I hated economics in school) but I even knew that much.

JorgSlice said:
Brilliant in comparison to the bland, same old act by our friendly neighbourhood Left Wing. It makes me wonder sometimes, are politicians educated in Economics? You'd think that along side your Political Science degree, you'd be studying Commerce or Economics in order to come out as close to the definition of "well-rounded politician" that you can get, right? I'm no economic genius either (actually, I hated economics in school) but I even knew that much.

You mean like the current PM with his Bachelor and Master of Economics? Perhaps we're in the good fiscal shape we are partly because of that.
As opposed to what it could be with the plethora of lawyers that typically occupy that chair.

recceguy said:
You mean like the current PM with his Bachelor and Master of Economics? Perhaps we're in the good fiscal shape we are partly because of that.
As opposed to what it could be with the plethora of lawyers that typically occupy that chair.

I don't think we should forget the team of Ph.D's who help a PM or President make their decisions. In the end I believe for the most part that the big wigs do not do much independent research on their own, instead they are led to decisions based on options other people provide them.  :2c:

JorgSlice said:
It makes me wonder sometimes, are politicians educated in Economics? You'd think that along side your Political Science degree, you'd be studying Commerce or Economics in order to come out as close to the definition of "well-rounded politician" that you can get, right? I'm no economic genius either (actually, I hated economics in school) but I even knew that much.

I often wonder if politicians are educated in a LOT of things.  If what we're going for is well-rounded, there are a few other areas of study that could be represented as well - literature, history, the sciences, languages, engineering and several others.  And not only that, but politicians from more walks of life than just business and law.  Where are the artists, tradespeople, soldiers, clergy, farmers, athletes, etc. in our political life?  I know there are a few isolated examples of several of these - and I don't have the stats on this - but business and law seem to predominate.  Perhaps only certain professions draw people who are inclined to withstand the rigours of public life-?  Obviously it takes some economic expertise to steer a country well - but that's not ALL it takes.   

Canada's economic performance is never solely the responsibility of the incumbent prime minister.

Arguably, it was under Mulroney that the Government of Canada (GoC) got a bit of religion and began some of the systemic overhauls needed, slowing the growth of the deficit and introducing the GST.

Under "The Guy Who Drives the Getaway Car" (Thank you, Dalton Camp) the GoC did program review, cutting spending further and getting the budget into the black.

While there are other reasons for Canada's current economic performance, the importance of those two prior PMs (and, of course, their inner cabinets) cannot be underestimated.

recceguy said:

I am quite confident in our current Prime Minister and the current Government of Canada and pleased with their performance in office. I lived in Calgary and learned from Stephen Harper's work alongside Preston Manning, Canadian Alliance etc. (albeit after he had moved on). I've always like the type of person and politician Mr. Prime Minister is. What I am worried about is the others. The other politicians of ALL parties, not just the NDP or the Liberals, who have narrow studies. Having a degree in Law and Politics, in my mind is not sufficient enough; however I have neither and I doubt I would survive in politics so I'm only allowed to speak so far as my Voter status allows, A.K.A. my opinion.

A Government is not just the Prime Minister, it's comprised of many people in many departments and in order to be successful they must work together like a well-oiled machine, but we all know that the Government is never well-oiled. Bureaucratic red tape and the pandering of those on the Hill who will vote down anything because it's not from their party causes the Government to become a rusty machine that sputters to start and only runs for a short time - even the Opposition is being counter-productive. I may be too young however, I don't remember a time, or noticed a time, when the Loyal Opposition or even the back-burner party ever supported something in good faith that was done by the incumbent GoC.

bridges said:
I often wonder if politicians are educated in a LOT of things.  If what we're going for is well-rounded, there are a few other areas of study that could be represented as well - literature, history, the sciences, languages, engineering and several others.  And not only that, but politicians from more walks of life than just business and law.  Where are the artists, tradespeople, soldiers, clergy, farmers, athletes, etc. in our political life?  I know there are a few isolated examples of several of these - and I don't have the stats on this - but business and law seem to predominate.  Perhaps only certain professions draw people who are inclined to withstand the rigours of public life-?  Obviously it takes some economic expertise to steer a country well - but that's not ALL it takes.   

Absolutely.

You get a politician whom lived in a family of politicians, living on those cushy salaries and pensions and they won't do anything for the average Canadian wage employee. Experience shapes who you will help and influence. Somehow, some way, there needs to be more encouragement for more of the average Canadian to become our future national/provincial leaders, and it's plausible. If the average provincial or federal politician in a position to make provincial or federal change is approximately 55 years of age, then there is certainly enough time in a life to be tradesperson, soldier, farmer etc. AND enter politics with CANADA and her PEOPLE in mind.

dapaterson said:
Canada's economic performance is never solely the responsibility of the incumbent prime minister.

Arguably, it was under Mulroney that the Government of Canada (GoC) got a bit of religion and began some of the systemic overhauls needed, slowing the growth of the deficit and introducing the GST.

Under "The Guy Who Drives the Getaway Car" (Thank you, Dalton Camp) the GoC did program review, cutting spending further and getting the budget into the black.

While there are other reasons for Canada's current economic performance, the importance of those two prior PMs (and, of course, their inner cabinets) cannot be underestimated.

Certainly true as well. I like to think that it's safe to say that the incumbent is making decisions today, that will make changes tomorrow.

Very good post.  I agree with you on a law degree, the focus is very narrow.  If you has a law degree they better off as an advisor to a decision maker.

A little recent economic history in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from iPolitics:

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2012/10/15/paul-adams-can-the-liberal-party-find-a-centre-with-broad-circumference/
Can the Liberal party find a centre with broad circumference?

By Paul Adams

Oct 15, 2012

In the late nineteenth century, the charismatic and eccentric British politician Lord Randolph Churchill (Winston’s father) toyed with creating a new Centre party. “All centre, no circumference,” one of his political foes remarked.

Until the last decade, Canada’s Liberal party had the broadest circumference of any centre party in the world. The question for Justin Trudeau or whoever next leads the Liberal party is whether there actually is a centre for the party to re-occupy.

The modern Liberal party was re-engineered a half century ago by Lester Pearson, who made it into the quintessential party of the “mixed economy”, a formula that was popular across the western world. The booming private sector would be guided by government, but not consumed by it. Keynesian fiscal policy would manage the ups and downs of the business cycle and social programs would allow the emergence of a capitalism with a human face.

In its day, this really was a politics of the centre. It expressed a very broad social and political consensus that extended from labour unions to chambers of commerce. Working people had good jobs in the private and the public sector, many of them unionized. They appreciated the additional economic security they got from public health care, old age pensions, and unemployment insurance.

The ideology and the demographics were a perfect fit.

In many countries, even conservative parties competed to be in the centre.

The British Conservative prime minister, Harold Macmillan, had actually written a book called The Middle Way. In the United States, Dwight Eisenhower beat the arch-conservative Robert Taft to take the Republican nomination in 1952, and governed as a centrist. A decade later Richard Nixon declared “We are all Keynesians now”, echoing Milton Friedman of all people.

But the centre did not hold, either here or elsewhere. The oil crisis of the 1970s introduced “stagflation” and overturned many of the economic assumptions of the old centrist politics.

In Britain, Margaret Thatcher won election in 1979, and she was very much not a centrist. Nor was Ronald Reagan, who was elected the next year. In Canada, we had Bill Bennett, Sterling Lyon, Mike Harris, and eventually Preston Manning and Stephen Harper.

Whether or not their analysis of the stagflation crisis was correct, their solutions were strong and clear: let the markets rule unfettered. The formula included deregulation, privatization, freer trade, lower government spending and taxes, and in theory at least, balanced budgets.

There was no longer a consensual centre at the heart of western politics, and the Liberals would have to choose. Startlingly, John Turner, the ultimate business Liberal, chose to reject Brian Mulroney’s free trade agreement with the U.S., calling it “the fight of my life”.

But Turner lost the election. His successor, Jean Chrétien moved the party away from its opposition to the free trade agreement – though the rhetoric lingered after the substance had changed.

In power after 1993, the Liberal party also moved decisively away from its centrist election platform, which called for “moderate” deficit reduction coupled with new social programs such as day care. Instead, the government cut funds for social programs, aimed to eliminate the deficit rather than reduce it, and eventually cut debt and taxes.

Significantly, Paul Martin adopted the “no deficit rule” – an explicit renunciation of the Keynesian notion that government fiscal policy should be used to manage the ups and downs of the business cycle. Jean Chrétien promised in the 1997 election that no more than half of future surpluses would be devoted to tax cuts and debt reduction, but that proved not to be the case.

In a surprising article in the Toronto Star last year, Paul Martin’s close advisor, pollster and campaign manager, David Herle, argued that growing inequality and the economic insecurity it has created for the middle class, are undermining the social basis for the Liberals’ consensus politics. He criticized the Liberals under Michael Ignatieff for their “unwillingness to veer from conservative economic orthodoxy” in addressing the problems of the middle class.

I would go further. Ignatieff called for the Harper Conservatives to introduce a stimulative budget in the wake of the 2008 financial meltdown, then turned around and attacked the government’s deficits. He rejected “big government” and said he wanted no new government programs, but when the campaign began, ran on the “Family Pack” of government programs. He also wanted to reduce the deficit along exactly the same track that Harper had proposed.

That wasn’t centrism. That was incoherence.

To his credit Thomas Mulcair, unlike Ignatieff or for that matter Jack Layton, has begun to show us the outlines of an economic policy that is distinct from that of the Harper government.

Mulcair wants to the oil sands to be developed according to environmental and national objectives, and not just those of the market. He’d like a lower dollar and wants a renewed emphasis on manufacturing. Soon, we will see whether he will lead his party towards more openness to international trade.

What we have in Canada today is not a consensus, and a battle over who best expresses it, but a difference of opinion on some of the fundamental issues of the economy, the sources of growth, inequality and the environment.

It is much, much harder in a time when there are such basic differences to find a political centre. Certainly, to be meaningful, “centrism” has to be more than a split-the-difference-ism, which Justin Trudeau sometimes seems to be advocating.

“We’re a pragmatic centrist party that is ready to take from the left or the right, depending on what actually works,” he said last week.

It is true that for many years most Canadians thought of themselves as centrists – whatever they might have meant by the term. There is some evidence that that may be changing. There is also evidence  that Canadians are not distributed from left to right along a ideological spectrum, but clumped in the centre; rather they divide into a smaller, more cohesive conservative group and a larger, though more amorphous, progressive group.

As the Liberals struggle to rise again, they will find that for them the most persuadable voters are those on the left, not the right of the divide, and that there are relatively few in the central chasm in between.

It is sometimes said that to govern is to choose. It may be that to get back into contention for government, the Liberals may have to choose as well.

Follow Paul Adams on Twitter: @padams29

The views, opinions and positions expressed by all iPolitics columnists and contributors are the author’s alone. They do not inherently or expressly reflect the views, opinions and/or positions of iPolitics.

© 2012 iPolitics Inc.

I think this, about Mulcair, tells us about the sifting centre: he "wants to the oil sands to be developed according to environmental and national objectives, and not just those of the market. He’d like a lower dollar and wants a renewed emphasis on manufacturing." That's almost exactly what (then) arch-conservative John Diefbaker wanted in 1962. (Although there are some who would argue that the Governor (Louis Rasminsky) and the IMF forced the government's hand.) The centre has shifted ever since 1867 - because it is a political, not an economic concept. Consider, just for example, "free trade" which was a Liberal idea, vehemently opposed by Tories ... until, suddenly (1985), it was a Conservative idea vehemently opposed by the Grits. In fact, the arguments pro and con "free trade" changed little between Borden/Laurier in 1911 and Mulroney/Turner in 1988, except for the switch in sides.

The economic centre has shifted, too, in a broadly liberal (free trade, private property) direction, despite a current (Obama/Romney) and recent (since George W Bush) shift in a very conservative (protectionism/big government/intervention) in the USA. But political positions (and principles, such as they are) orbit the ever shifting economic and social centres, rather like a search for the centre of mass in a binary star system.

images

The political aim is to orbit or occupy that centre of mass which is the position which is most favourable/least objectionable to a plurality of Canadian voters.

Right now I would argue that Stephen Haper is closest to the centre of mass, the political 'holy grail,' while the Liberals and NDP still orbit individual "stars." The problem for the Liberals is that their "star" is dying - and like a real star it flares, brightly, just before becoming a black hole - see Liberals in the UK in the 1920s.

The new "centre" for Canadian politics is probably "socially liberal, economically conservative".

dapaterson said:

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is an interesting piece that is, albeit a bit loosely, related to cuts in government:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/bureaucracy-is-no-business-of-government/article6968196/
Bureaucracy is no business of government

DONALD SAVOIE
The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Jan. 07 2013

Thirty years ago, Anglo-American politicians set out to make the public sector look like the private sector. They decided to grab hold of the policy-making levers and push public servants to manage operations along the lines of their private-sector counterparts.

There’s plenty of evidence to suggest that politicians have gained the upper hand in shaping policies. Evidence-based policy-making has lost currency, as has the policy advisory role of senior public servants. But there’s also plenty of evidence to suggest that management reform measures have failed.

It’s not too much of an exaggeration to write that the policy advisory role of public servants in Anglo-American democracies has been turned on its head. Multiple sources of information and evidence-based policy advice no longer matter as they once did. Today, if policy-making in a post-positivism world is a matter of opinion, where 2 + 2 can equal 5, then Google searches, focus groups, public opinion surveys and a well-connected lobbyist can provide any policy answer that politicians wish to hear.

Public servants of yesteryear would emphasize proper data-gathering procedures and produce analyses with predictive power. Politicians grabbed the policy-making levers and decided to turn bureaucrats into better managers. Public servants were not about to admit that their management skills were lacking, so politicians looked to the private sector for inspiration. As a result, strategic plans were turned into business plans, citizens into customers and cabinet into a powerless board of directors, and attempts were made to tie pay to performance.

The notion that public administration could be made to look like private-sector management has been ill-conceived, misguided and costly to taxpayers. Management in the private sector has everything to do with the bottom line and market share. Administration in the public sector is a matter of opinion, debate and blame avoidance in a politically charged environment. It doesn’t much matter in the private sector if you get it wrong 40 per cent of the time so long as you turn a handsome profit and increase market share. It doesn’t much matter in the public sector if you get it right 99 per cent of the time if the 1 per cent you get wrong becomes a heated issue in Question Period and the media.

The genius of the private sector is its capacity to generate creative destruction. New sectors and firms attract resources from old ones. New technologies make existing skills and manufacturing processes obsolete. In short, Adam Smith’s invisible hand allocates and reallocates resources.

In the public sector, allocating resources remains a political decision. Creative destruction has yet to find a permanent home in government and, until it does, the notion that public-sector administration can be made to look like private-sector management will remain a non-starter.

Public servants now produce all manner of reports and navigate various accountability requirements to fabricate a bottom line. The result: Ottawa has an oversupply of officers of Parliament, accountability and oversight processes and performance and evaluation reports. Hundreds of reports are carted every year to Parliament, where they remain unread unless one of them has information to embarrass the government.

The business vocabulary in government has, if nothing more, empowered managers to grow government operations by stealth. The Chrétien-Martin review (1994-98) eliminated 45,000 positions, but by the time Stephen Harper launched his own review in 2011, the government had added more than 70,000 positions. Thousands of new oversight positions have been created in Ottawa to manage accountability processes. Thirty years ago, 70 per cent of federal public servants were located in the regions; today, the number is 57 per cent. Without putting too fine a point on it, public servants in the field deliver public services, while those in Ottawa provide policy advice and manage processes and oversight requirements.

The closest the public sector comes to creative destruction is when the prime minister takes a good whack at bureaucracy. The Mulroney review (1984) and the more substantial Chrétien-Martin (1994-98) and Harper reviews (2011-12) unveiled spending cuts like bolts of lightning. The machinery of government will do as it’s told, but it will also batten down the hatches and wait for the storm to pass. When prime ministers take their eyes off the ball, spenders again gain the upper hand. When a department is asked to assume new responsibility, it invariably asks for new resources, unwilling or unable to turn to creative destruction. It explains why the basic problem in government spending is not that it’s spending more on new things but that it spends massively on old things.

Traditional public administration values have been tossed out the window, including the commitment to a parsimonious culture. Public servants have lost their way, uncertain how they should assess management performance, how they should generate policy advice, and how they should speak truth to political power and even to their own institution. If anything, recent management reforms in government have made public servants feel worse about their institution than they need to.

The result is that the public service has been knocked off its traditional moorings. Simply saying that government managers should operate like their private-sector counterparts without changing how political and administrative institutions function remains a sure recipe for failure. It entails a steep rise in the overhead cost of government that can’t be attributed to programs and services to the public.

Donald J. Savoie is the author of the forthcoming book Whatever Happened to the Music Teacher? How Government Decides and Why.

Although Prof Savoie talks, a bit, about how to control policy he is, in reality, talking about how to curb the bureaucracy and his apparent conclusion is that curb ≈ cut.

The control of policy issue has 1500+ years of "history" in the Anglo-American world from the medieval witenagemot to today's parliaments/congresses. Perhaps the most important periods were in the 16th century when William Cecil (Lord Burghley) reformed English political administration, especially of the exchequer, and in the 17th century when Walpole invented modern cabinet government. But the principle is always the same: the hand that controls the pursestrings rules the land. The aim of most 21st century politicians is to wrest that control from bureaucrats ~ the aim may be laudable but the results, to date, have been uneven: look at how well the White House and Congress "manage" (if that's the right word) in the USA.

In my view Jefferson was on the right track: 'who governs least governs best." (Although it is unlikely he actually said that, at leat not in those words.) Big bureaucracies are not only inefficient, they are dangerous ... but so are too powerful cabinets.

Back