• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

After putting up with all the crap in Kingston, I can honestly say that Petawawa is a paradise! 
I started in a 2 Bdrm row in Kingston in 98 paying 450 plus... not too bad.  When my daughter was on the way in spring 01 we moved into a 3 bdrm duplex.  Because I requested the move, I lost my grandfather clause and had to pay 650 plus... fair enough.  Within days of my move a former neighbor from my old row told me that they had been notified that the row had been condemned and all the tenants were being moved at public expense ,just like a posting with all the associated benefits and their rent was still grandfathered... no wonder they were so receptive to my request to move MYSELF!!!!  By the time I was posted in fall '04, the rent was up to 750 plus, could have been worse but they can only increase by such a percentage per year.
Then in september I came to Pet.  I accepted a 3 bdrm row sight-unseen by fax for guess what... 450 plus, right back where I started, cool.  But after arriving and checking it out, the place turned out to be a dump in a crowded corner, no offence meant to any readers that may live on Regalbuto.  When I asked if I could see some others the clerk at housing said "sure, have at 'er".  I ended up taking a 3 bdrm single on Paardeberg for 522 plus.  The neighbors are all great, the yard is huge and backs on to the woods and beyond that the rapids on the petawawa river, and in several days the old french school across the street will be torn down, so I'm pretty happy with the location. 
Anyway, I received my notice of adjustment last week... my rent is staying the same, but my utility cost is going up about a dollar or so.  So, at 523 plus, all I can say is;
"Come to 2 Bde"!

Here's my situation.
I am presently and patiently waiting an offer.  I have been QL3 qualified, so I will be going in as semi-skilled.  My wife will be finishing university in two years.  I understand that my training could possible take up to a year to complete???? So my questions are regarding my options for housing.  Since I will be living away from my wife and she will be residing in our present home for at least 2 more years, will I be required to pay for room and board.  Seems like I already know the answer but I thought I read somewhere that while living apart you should not have to pay for both residence.  This is not coming out the way I wanted it too but maybe someone "might" understand what I am trying to get at.

Imposed Restriction and Separation Expenses, see msg at: http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/download_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7&docid=6 or in html format at:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dgcb/dcba/engraph/high_rate_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

In brief:
MBRS APPROVED FOR IMPOSED RESTRICTION (IR) ARE AUTH TO RECEIVE FREE R AND Q PROVIDED THEY ARE STILL MAINTAINING A PRINCIPAL RESIDENCE AT THE FORMER PLACE OF DUTY. CFAO 209-3 PARA 2 STIPULATES THAT QUOTE: A MEMBER ENTITLED TO SEPARATION EXPENSE (SE) SHALL UTILIZE RATIONS AND QUARTERS (R AND Q) IF AVAILABLE UNQUOTE.

Normally R&Q are provided free of charge.  When quarters are not avail you may be subsidized to live off-Base in commercial or non-commercial accommodation.

The Navy has a different term and policy, called "Member-only posting."

Thanks Gunner98.  I have read the link you posted.  Is there a time or accumulated expense that will limit this type of accommodation? As I have posted...it may be as long a two years.  Is it possible to live in PMQ or "shacks" in this situation.

I just got my rent increase notice last friday... 50$ increase for a row house in Gagetown, starting in November. 35$ increase for a "A" frame individual unit.

Up to 3 years normally, it used to require annual review.

Current entitlements for solo move and then when you move your family are found at:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/download_e.asp?docid=103&sidesection=2&sidecat=99

Separation Expense info is at:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/engraph/home_e.asp?sidesection=6&Section=209.997&sidecat=26&Chapter=209#209.997

Some important info about terminating Imposed Restriction is at: http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/irpp/engraph/download_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=9&docid=12

Thanks once again Gunner98. Those links are just what I needed. Yours a wealth.

Our PMQ went up $ 66.04 per month. This has been the largest increase to us since we moved in here in 1998. No work/renovations have been done here since 2002.

BOSNwife said:
Our PMQ went up $ 66.04 per month. This has been the largest increase to us since we moved in here in 1998. No work/renovations have been done here since 2002.

The largest increases we had was every year from '98-01, $100 more every September....pay raise or no pay raise.
The only improvment they did was chop down my maple tree( I freaked on them for that) and flipping the insulation over(rather than replacing it)

Im just alittle confused here. So are the row houses on the base or off? and 4 bedrooms seems fairly large if it's on base so do you have others living there as well, Like other soldiers I mean

Kyle.

Got the letter.  My PMQ rent goes up 1 Nov by another $100.  There goes the pay raise!  :'(

That's the one!  It seems that our rent (at least here in Van - can't speak for anywhere else) gets adjusted every Nov.  My little Q is now $940.00 a month!  Argh!

ChopperHead said:
Im just alittle confused here. So are the row houses on the base or off? and 4 bedrooms seems fairly large if it's on base so do you have others living there as well, Like other soldiers I mean
PMQ = married quarters.  4 bedrooms is not so big if you have two or three kids & a dog.

beach_bum said:
That's the one!   It seems that our rent (at least here in Van - can't speak for anywhere else) gets adjusted every Nov.   My little Q is now $940.00 a month!   Argh!

Holy crap Carol

That's almost my mortgage! :eek:

Keep in mind that where he is living the housing is through the roof and you would probably not be able to get the same house that you have right now with your mortage payment that you have now there. 

It is unforunate that it is so high.  What do they expect new recruits to live off of.  Especially if they have families.

Back