• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Ordering 25K "Hybrid (Combat) Shirts"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This in today's culling of MERX:
.... The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement for Hybrid Shirt with a knit material body and FR fabric arms in Canadian Disruptive Pattern Arid Regions (CADPAT AR). The hybrid shirts have to be manufactured in accordance with the Department of National Defence the Department of National Defence documents, Manufacturing Data for shirt, hot weather, hybrid DSSPM 2-6-87-8823, dated 19 August, 2009, Purchase description for cloth, twill, aramid/FR viscose, 170 g/m², dated 10 August 2009, Specification for CADPAT ™(AR), dated 27 June 2003, Specification for cloth, knit, jersey, 60/40 cotton/nylon, dated 8 September 2009, Manufacturing data for tape, fastener, nylon hook and loop, dated March 2001, patterns, drawings, and sealed patterns.

Firm Quantity:  This requirement is for a firm quantity of 25,270 shirts in CADPAT(AR) to be delivered to Montreal, Qc and Edmonton, Alta.

Delivery requested: The delivery must be completed by 31 march 2010....

Based on the design from the bid document (attached) it appears they'll be along the lines of this sort of shirt already in the U.S. system:
33446L.jpg

We were told back in 08 that they were ordered and to expect delivery for early 09. I guess not.

The design in the MERX doc looks very similar to the Crye Combat Shirt, less the integrated elbow pads:

APRCS402LGR-D.jpg

http://www.cryeprecision.com/Item_Detail.aspx?ItemCode=APRCS402LGR&title=Combat+Shirt+Ac

Does it really make sense to even buy for the matter of a year before we put tail between legs and leave?We survived this long without it.In 08 our RSM banned them after guys paid a hefty price for them.

Nice shirt if your a fit looking guy/gal.Should look hilarious on our army.

X-mo-1979 said:
Does it really make sense to even buy for the matter of a year before we put tail between legs and leave?We survived this long without it.In 08 our RSM banned them after guys paid a hefty price for them.

Tell us what you really meant to say...

Short answer: yes.  Are we supposed to burn all our Arid pattern CADPAT when we leave?  Methinks not.  And it's not up to RSMs to ban issued kit, which this will be.  And it's not about looks.

X-mo-1979 said:

Because I REALLY needed to spit coffee all over my keyboard this early in the morning.

Yeah apologize for that actually.I understand that this project was probably started 3-4 years ago before the 2011 outcome was decided.And no doubt it's a great product.Should feel nice in under armour without that combat shirt rubbing.

As for the tail between our leg's I'm referring to Government policy not our army.Needless to say I'm a little ticked about pulling out in 2011.As to bringing it home with us,let's pray for another desert war/conflict/peacekeeping/babysitting tour.

As for the RSM he can make us wear it under a combat shirt as it may be labeled a next to skin article...thus the confusion begins and takes a good two tours to figure out how it can be worn.I.E remember the fleece issue?It has a spot to put rank it must be a outer garment....now its a under garment..now it ...you get it.

I will not retract my comment about it looking atrocious on many CF members.Thats a hard fact.

40below said:
Because I REALLY needed to spit coffee all over my keyboard this early in the morning.

Some people get me some dont! ;D I wasnt the "keepin it real NCO" for nothing. ;D
Cheers man

X-mo-1979 said:
I will not retract my comment about it looking atrocious on many CF members.thats a hard fact.
Nor should you retract it ;D

(If anything needs retraction, its the collective waistlines of many-a CF member) ;D

Its about time, and some RSMs need a good grounding in modern technology and new fabrics that are fire resistant AND keep the troops comfortable under body armor.
I foresee that only "outside the wire" troops or those that go outside the wire will be issued this.
25 thousand shirts ain't a lot, so it sounds like we're sharing....again.

As for the look on some of the troops, yes you are right, but don't judge books by their covers either.

Our CSMs have been telling us we're getting this issued to us for our upcoming tour for months now.

Also, the entire CF isn't leaving Afghanistan in 2011, it sounds like we'll maintain a PRT, no reason to hose those boys in regards to kit just because "you" won't be there, eh?

- You would think that after the Arid CADPAT "Dry Fire" shirts had been an optional under-vest wear for three months now, that someone would at least have a picture of it.

;D

- Arid CADPAT arms, T-Shirt type body.  $110 USD at the Canadian PX.  They must have sold hundreds, a fav among veh crews.

- NOT for FOB/MOB wear - under vest only.

Midnight Rambler said:
(If anything needs retraction, its the collective waistlines of many-a CF member) ;D
I guess I forgot the "not exactly as shown" disclaimer?  ;)

<hijack & redirect>
Snaketnk said:
Also, the entire CF isn't leaving Afghanistan in 2011, it sounds like we'll maintain a PRT, no reason to hose those boys in regards to kit just because "you" won't be there, eh?
If you've seen anything firm you can share, feel free to throw it into this thread
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/89723.0.html
because it's not that clear based on public statements from Ottawa.
</hijack & redirect>

Midnight Rambler said:
Nor should you retract it ;D

Here-here

OldSoldier said:
Its about time, and some RSMs need a good grounding in modern technology and new fabrics that are fire resistant AND keep the troops comfortable under body armor.
I foresee that only "outside the wire" troops or those that go outside the wire will be issued this.
25 thousand shirts ain't a lot, so it sounds like we're sharing....again.

As for the look on some of the troops, yes you are right, but don't judge books by their covers either.
Your right 25 sure isnt a lot. I don't see the exclusion of KAF members when it comes down to "comfort gear" either.Now if they do I'll have to try and pack a extra cadpat shirt in the veh somewhere.The one time we made it back to KAF half my crew forgot their floppy,as it was sitting in our MOB box at the FOB.

TCBF said:
- You would think that after the Arid CADPAT "Dry Fire" shirts had been an optional under-vest wear for three months now, that someone would at least have a picture of it.
proof!
Snaketnk said:
Our CSMs have been telling us we're getting this issued to us for our upcoming tour for months now.

Who says we are keeping PRT?And who says I wont be?

Overall though I think we were the only country who were not wearing it in our AOR.The Dutch,'Mericans,British all had em IIRC.
Anywho I gotta go for a bit of a run...that shirt is better than a BMI anyday! ;D

Odd that the arms are to be fire retardant, but not the body, which is to be cotton/nylon rather than a Drifire type all-synthetic FR fabric.

The design was done by a Vancouver based company (not us), based on the British shirt with FR woven sleeves and FR knit torso. Much like the Crye shirt made for the USMC by Propper. It seemed to have pretty bulky sleeve pockets and elbows.

Hobey

ICE Tactical said:
The design was done by a Vancouver based company (not us), based on the British shirt with FR woven sleeves and FR knit torso. Much like the Crye shirt made for the USMC by Propper. It seemed to have pretty bulky sleeve pockets and elbows.

Hobey

So it's pretty much going to look like the CP Gear Outside The Wire shirt?

Or did it not have the collar an zipper an is like the US Army FR shirt posted above.

Loachman said:
Odd that the arms are to be fire retardant, but not the body, which is to be cotton/nylon rather than a Drifire type all-synthetic FR fabric.

Hopefully someone in CTS(or whoever runs the project) picks up on that

The samples I've seen have a neck zipper with inside flap, and Velcro sleeve pockets. The collar is lined with FR knit. The torso is an FR/no melt/no drip knit from Malden Mills. (Cotton/nylon blends with FR treatment are common). The sleeves use Kermel FR fiber. The whole shirt is FR.
The US Army shirt is all knit FR fabrics (cotton, rayon, and polyester) , and pretty fragile.

Hobey

Okay, good, the whole thing will be FR.

One next wonders about making the current combat trousers FR as well.

Loachman said:
Okay, good, the whole thing will be FR.

One next wonders about making the current combat trousers FR as well.

hehehehehe.

So whats the word on these shirts, are they being issued, does anyone have a photo of one, do they really exist???? Its been 5 months and no new posts on this topic, so lets bring it back to life. Someone must have some news on this.

Back