• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Ordering 25K "Hybrid (Combat) Shirts"

It would nice to know before some folks head over to the sandbox soon.  ;D

So any new news?

We know who got the contract, and for how much (highlights mine - PDF attached if link doesn't work):
Award Type  Award Notice
  GSIN N8405
  GSIN Description OUTERWEAR, MEN'S
  Amount $2,189,013.75 CAD
  Solicitation Method

Description

Trade Agreement: Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT)
Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement: No
Notification Method: Public Advertising (MERX/GBO)
Contract Award Procedure (Procurement Strategy): Lowest/Lower Bid
GSIN Description:
Outerwear, Men's
Quantity: 25270

Supplier Information 

PEERLESS GARMENTS LTD.
515 Notre Dame Ave
Winnipeg
Manitoba
R3B1R9
Canada

Original bid documents said delivery by 31 Mar 10 - 37.5 hours to go as of this post (according to my watch)  ;) 

Anyone closer to the distribution chain care to speculate on how long it might take between (assuming on-time) delivery of products to CF and delivery to troops?

They are surprisingly cheap, much cheaper than expected.

I know enough about equipment procurement never to assume a soldier-level delivery date, nor try to guess one.  The reality is that there is too many actors and factors involved to guess correctly.  All the efforts are being made to deliver them to our troops ASAP.

Inexpensive  indeed.  The expected price was almost 100% higher. 
Quality-wise, they were user-accepted at over 80%, and the first 300 hybrid shirts were very well received by troops in theater, circa November 2009. 

Well I definitely wasn't haolding my breath for these shirts so I went out and bought a couple of CP gear shirts.  IF and WHEN we do get an issue one I don't expect to get more then one... but we'll see.

I suspect they are going to look like/are what I seen a lot of guys wearing while I was there: basically the sleeves of our combat shirt, sewn on an issued brown t-shirt.  I think I am going to stick with my 2 OTW's if I go over again.

I also see the chain of command authorizing the use of ONLY the issued shirts and not the local purchase/OTW shirts. That would be like with all of our "safety" kit and for our protection.

NL_engineer said:
I suspect they are going to look like/are what I seen a lot of guys wearing while I was there: basically the sleeves of our combat shirt, sewn on an issued brown t-shirt.  I think I am going to stick with my 2 OTW's if I go over again.
If they are anything like the trial version that was tested a few years back in the California I'd take them over a OTW shirt.  They seemed more comfortable, had nice pockets and seemed sturdier.  Best of all is the price.....

DirtyDog said:
If they are anything like the trial version that was tested a few years back in the California I'd take them over a OTW shirt.  They seemed more comfortable, had nice pockets and seemed sturdier.  Best of all is the price.....

I can only hope that you are right; and that they aren't just a t-shirt with combat sleeves.

I already have 2 OTW's so no new cost if I get the chance to deploy again. 

I've got a trial version, which I assume is similar if not identical to these ordered ones. I'll take pictures and post them when it gets back from the laundry.

Think CP Gear OTW shirt, except flap - not zipper - pockets.

In 08 our RSM banned them after guys paid a hefty price for them.

These are issued, not the CP Gear ones which are quite popular. I assume their use will be enforced similar to how things are now. For us KAF-types, the OTW shirts are only worn Outside The Wire, ie before and immediatly after the patrol but that's it. Guys in the FOBs and strong points I've seen wearing them pretty much whenever.

Nice shirt if your a fit looking guy/gal.Should look hilarious on our army.

Yep.

Funny you mention that; I had to change out of my OTW before I left the tank park in KAF.  I bet with the new one the same rules will still apply: NOT allowed in KAF.

NL_engineer said:
Funny you mention that; I had to change out of my OTW before I left the tank park in KAF.  I bet with the new one the same rules will still apply: NOT allowed in KAF.
That doesn't surprise me one bit. A stupid rule. You should at least be able to get to your bunkspace before having to change.

This is what happens when old dogs are still around. They just don't want to learn new tricks.  :nod:

TN2IC said:
This is what happens when old dogs are still around. They just don't want to learn new tricks.  :nod:
Excuse me, but I resemble that remark!!  ;)

I said previously that I'd post pictures of the new issued OTW shirt. I can't seem to figure out how to upload pics that aren't on the internet...either army.ca doesn't have the option or I'm just too dense to figure it out.

Sorry.

Like I said, nearly identical to CP Gear OTW shirt but with flap instead of zipper pockets.

Bubbles said:
I said previously that I'd post pictures of the new issued OTW shirt. I can't seem to figure out how to upload pics that aren't on the internet...either army.ca doesn't have the option or I'm just too dense to figure it out.

Sorry.

Like I said, nearly identical to CP Gear OTW shirt but with flap instead of zipper pockets.

When you made this post, if you looked below the "text box" that you typed in, you will see "Additional Options" where you can upload Attachments. 
Allowed file types: txt, doc, docx, pdf, jpg, gif, mpg, png, zip
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 1024KB, maximum individual size 600KB

You may have to shrink your img files to meet the limit.

Bubbles said:
Much obliged. The files are too big, unfortunately.

If you have PhotoShop, or MS Office Picture Manager, or Windows Photo Editor you can shrink those files. 

Or do a google search for :windows powertoys resizer" and you can do it so much easier!

Back