• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF moving to Multicam?

Cadpat TW I find works extremely well in the woods during the summer, absolutely.  Perhaps not here in Alberta, where even the woods are brown...legend has it you guys have something called trees, in the northern part of the province?  I'm still skeptical, but I hear they are brown even if these magical things actually do exist?

But in BC and especially Ontario, that gets this other mythical thing I've heard of called rain...looks like it works well!!

Perhaps we could use multi-cam for deployed operations like the Yanks, Brits, Aussies, etc -- and keep the Cadpat here.  We already have the supply system full of Cadpat everything, why change ALL of it?  Expensive, complicated, and just begging for more problems. 

Keep the multi-cam for deployed operations, if the CDS is stating that his observation was the Arid Cadpat is worn out & needs replacing - replace the Arid stuff with multi-cam.  Easy.  Simple.  Less complicated. 

I think we'll be fighting Taliban types over Russian forces in Europe for a while yet.

daftandbarmy said:
If we have more than one cam pattern deployed on major operations where some 'real shooting' is going on, you can probably count on a lot of Blue on Blues.

Just sayin'....

In Kandahar there was CADPAT AR, Multicam, ACU, DPM, and various other patterns being used by various coalition partners / local forces on integrated operations. It didn’t seem to be a cause of blue on blue. I think your concern on this might be a bit overly inflated.

Brihard said:
In Kandahar there was CADPAT AR, Multicam, ACU, DPM, and various other patterns being used by various coalition partners / local forces on integrated operations. It didn’t seem to be a cause of blue on blue. I think your concern on this might be a bit overly inflated.

I've seen it almost happen a couple of times, usually in ambush situations and hot pursuits.

That's OK though, we'll all have 'battlefield beacons' to make sure that we don't pop the wrong people, right?

"One piece of equipment that would almost certainly have saved Pritchard's life was the 'battlefield beacon', worn by soldiers to allow commanders to see the whereabouts of all their troops during a firefight. Almost all major armies have this technology – but not the British infantry." https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/14/british-soldier-blue-on-blue-killing

I can think of one example where commonality of pattern probably would have payed off. It involved two master bombardiers from 2 RCHA who were in a FOO party with the OMLT. They were sent out as a sub-OP with an American ETT and an Afghan National Army unit. Shortly after the organization went firm on their objective the Americans told them intelligence had intercepted a Taliban transmission that went words to the effect that"there are two Canadian with them. I don't know what they are doing, but better kill them." They refused an offer to be evacuated. Long story short, the Taliban did their best. One of our guys survived a rifle bullet glancing off his helmet. Eventually both were wounded and evacuated; one as result of a combination of concussion from the bullet strike on his helmet and heat stroke, while the other lasted three days including one spell of 15 hours directing air and aviation continually. Both survived to receive MMVs, and the last I saw both were sergeants.

Christie Blatchford: Defence chief wants to toss Canadian-made uniforms for U.S. version — at a cost of $500M

The Canadian military is looking for a new camouflage uniform for its 95,000 regular and reserve force members — potentially at a cost of as much as $500 million — and the boss favours one originally developed for the U.S. army.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-defence-chief-wants-to-toss-canadian-made-uniforms-for-u-s-version-at-a-cost-of-500m

Why don't we just spend the money and have more CADPAT made? 

Humphrey Bogart said:

My god man you are applying logic to the situation .....  ;D

NFLD Sapper said:
My god man you are applying logic to the situation .....  ;D

Sure multicam would give us one uniform but it creates a new set of problems i.e. every other piece of kit we own is CADPAT. 

Better money could be spent buying new fighting rigs for soldiers or you know, winter kit like mukluks.

Our individual kit issue is presently a clusterbomb.

LunchMeat said:
What's so bad about the photo? Not every occasion where the Colours are flown require dress uniforms. Yes, the Colours are prestigious and shall be treated no different than royalty, however, our predecessors flew the colours and national ensign while covered in dirt, grease, grime, and blood of their brothers.

The whole "buttons and bows" bullshit is just that, bullshit.
That’s a flag party in the photo not a colour party. You should know the difference.

Humphrey Bogart said:
Our individual kit issue procurement, writ large, is presently a clusterbomb.
Or at least, that's how it seems;  success stories appear to be scarce.  :dunno:

Humphrey Bogart said:

Or better yet, Heritage CADPAT. I miss the chest pockets that are designed to hold 7.62mm mags ;)

Humphrey Bogart said:
One does not make it to CDS by coming up with simple solutions like that.

It just struck me that the various articles on the topic claim that the CDS mentioned getting Multicam uniforms for the "68,000 regular and 27,000 reserve members of the CAF.

Is he thinking of putting the whole Navy in Multicam?

I mean, it's not as if in the Navy we are issued with the Army's combat uniform at the beginning of our careers and then keep it for the duration. We only draw them on short loans when needed and return them after.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
It just struck me that the various articles on the topic claim that the CDS mentioned getting Multicam uniforms for the "68,000 regular and 27,000 reserve members of the CAF.

I mean, it's not as if in the Navy we are issued with the Army's combat uniform at the beginning of our careers and then keep it for the duration. We only draw them on short loans when needed and return them after.

You don't let minor details get in the way when spinning people up about government spending. "The CDS wants to wast $500 Millions of dollars on fashion!" Looks better in the headlines than, "The CDS is looking to phase in a new camoflage pattern uniform as we replace worn out uniforms that have been cycled through many deployments over the years"

Humphrey Bogart said:
Better money could be spent buying new fighting rigs for soldiers or you know, winter kit like mukluks.

That project has been 0 funded for years, wasn't even listed in the defense "review".

How much does it cost to hold 2 identical stocks of camo uniforms, complete with the 300 or so other items (rain gear, rucks, vests, gloves)? The initial cost is high, as with any major uniform purchase. The switch to multicam (or a similar "good enough" pattern for all environments) saves us money in the long term by reducing duplicates when we do buy those fighting rigs.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

This.
I was having lunch with a fellow Naval Officer who is on his way to Staff College this summer and we got into the subject of the CAF and Joint. In his time at CJOC he continually got the feeling from his Army brethren that the Navy and Air Force folks weren't really jumping for joy when the Army started talking "Joint". Well its crap like this from the CDS that fosters those feelings or when an Army Officer tells an MPA pilot that he should become more joint in his thinking. Excuse me but Maritime Air and the Navy were operating in the joint environment long before that Army officer was a dirty thought in the back of his father's mind! 

daftandbarmy said:
Or better yet, Heritage CADPAT. I miss the chest pockets that are designed to hold 7.62mm mags ;)

Yah!  Then I can carry my M1A1 in Mali and be a designated marksman!

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Ever since we left the safe harbour of 'Combat Green' it's been a fashion roller coaster, so it's about time the Navy and Air Force joined us in the kaleidoscope merry go round. I mean years of wearing various shades of blue is sooooooo not 'leading change' enough. :)

daftandbarmy said:
Ever since we left the safe harbour of 'Combat Green' it's been a fashion roller coaster, so it's about time the Navy and Air Force joined us in the kaleidoscope merry go round. I mean years of wearing various shades of blue is sooooooo not 'leading change' enough. :)

I don't know about you, but I've seen my fair share of "new" flight suits that have faded into tan in some parts and stayed green in others.  It's almost like Multicam, except green only in armpits and crotch  :-X

Back