• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF moving to Multicam?

bllusc

Reaction score
According to the latest published minutes of the National Defence Clothing and Dress Committee (meeting held 2 Dec 2016) and published this February, the CFCWO briefed the committee on a desire from the CDS to potentially move toward a single CADPAT (MultiCam) vice the current temperate and arid patterns.

I dunno, the only guys I see wearing multicam are SOFCOM guys.

Frankly it doesn't work as well as the differing variations of CADPAT.  You go from three or four (temperate, arid, arctic, urban <- yes it exists) patterns that function extremely well in specific environments to one pattern that functions sort-of-okay-but-not-great in all environments.

As always, money is likely the motivator.  Cheaper to produce one pattern than four (not that they actually produce and issue the last two I listed).

In the end, can I just get a shirt that fits and isn't made of cardboard?  Really?... That'd make me happy.

The current CDS would be long gone before any change like that would happen. I can picture the gongshow of switching to Multicam uniforms similar to the Pips/Crowns and Grey Rank changes multiplied by 100.

You're also likely to get stuck with cardboard uniforms forever, as Peerless Garments has cornered the market on lowest-bidder crap that they can churn out to us as they are the only company winning every manufacturing contract we have for textiles unless its something patented that they cannot buy the patents for.

bllusc said:
According to the latest published minutes of the National Defence Clothing and Dress Committee (meeting held 2 Dec 2016) and published this February, the CFCWO briefed the committee on a desire from the CDS to potentially move toward a single CADPAT (MultiCam) vice the current temperate and arid patterns.

I saw the briefing note produced by DLR with intent for the CCA stating pros and cons. In the end it stated that it would cost a significant amount of money to make the switch. But even more problematic is that only one company in Canada owns the rights to MultiCam. Multicam as a whole being a propriety of Crye Precision.

The conclusion of the BN stated that a further analysis would have to be done to move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats why the US went to Scorpion-W2 as their new camo pattern, because DARPA owns those rights.

PuckChaser said:
Thats why the US went to Scorpion-W2 as their new camo pattern, because DARPA owns those rights.

The UK did something similar with MTP, which is another similar-to-but-not-the-same-as-Multicam pattern.

I highly encourage feasibility studies -- if we actually think about these things before we do it there might be less chance of it being enormously screwed up during the initial implementation.

I dunno guys, with the way that the last roll-out of new combats turned out, I only forsee guys walking around with CADPAT shirts and MC trousers...and RSM's developing a nervous tic before every parade.

Lerch said:
I dunno guys, with the way that the last roll-out of new combats turned out, I only forsee guys walking around with CADPAT shirts and MC trousers...and RSM's developing a nervous tic before every parade.

That would never happen if we didn't keep trying to parade in clothing that was never supposed to be used for parades!  There is NO good reason for any unit to "parade" in operational clothing.  Just as there is no good reason for anyone to wear operational clothing in climate-controlled offices in Canada.  Perhaps if we only used operational clothing for the purposes for which it was designed (field/sea operations) than we wouldn't have the shortages we do with desk officers wearing out our most expensive clothing while sitting at a computer in Ottawa.

Pusser said:
That would never happen if we didn't keep trying to parade in clothing that was never supposed to be used for parades!  There is NO good reason for any unit to "parade" in operational clothing.  Just as there is no good reason for anyone to wear operational clothing in climate-controlled offices in Canada.  Perhaps if we only used operational clothing for the purposes for which it was designed (field/sea operations) than we wouldn't have the shortages we do with desk officers wearing out our most expensive clothing while sitting at a computer in Ottawa.

But then you'd have to use an iron and boot polish all the time ;)

Pusser said:

It seems to be a losing battle Pusser. Did you see the pictures of the CDS at MARPAC and the honour guard in NCD's and CADPAT?
ET2017-0079-04.jpg

Why do we have orders and directives when this crap goes on?

I also saw pictures from yesterday of the same outfit in Calgary.

If its any consolation, Pusser, I wear salt and peppers while I sail my desk.  Even though I don't get the points to support that as it's not my dress of the day.

Really? Really? to quote Trump: Sad!!!

Who in god's green earth came up with the idea of a guard in NCD wearing white web belt and bayonet holders ? ? ? ? ?

Give me a break.  :facepalm:  :surrender:

FSTO said:
It seems to be a losing battle Pusser. Did you see the pictures of the CDS at MARPAC and the honour guard in NCD's and CADPAT?
ET2017-0079-04.jpg

Quick!! Someone wake up the Lt(N) on the right!!  8)

Who is the ginger/civi dude to the left of the CDS in the picture? 

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Who in god's green earth came up with the idea of a guard in NCD wearing white web belt and bayonet holders ? ? ? ?

Give me a break.  :facepalm:  :surrender:

To be fair, from my spies out west who told me that MARPAC pushed back but the directive came down from CDS to make it so.

Eye In The Sky said:
Who is the ginger/civi dude to the left of the CDS in the picture?

At least he has the decency to look perturbed about what's going on...

Don't even joke about that, are we will all be raiding the cadet QMs to get it back...

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Who in god's green earth came up with the idea of a guard in NCD wearing white web belt and bayonet holders ? ? ? ? ?

Well, the CDS did the same in Comox a little while ago, as did the Comd RCAF in the fall. 

The folks across the pond do homecoming parades in combats as well:

stream_img.jpg

Back