• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF cellphone plan

MedTech said:
I'm partial to Rogers :)

I've been with

Bell = crap
Telus = crap
Fido = crap'

So I've been with the largest companies in Canada and I can honestly say Roger has been the best so far. I've got a crackberry that's on a Federal plan and it rocks! I get unlimited evening and weekends, 1000 weekday minute, unlimited Rogers - Rogers -Fido, a kick butt data package, voice mail and caller ID... how much? $120. I LOVE IT.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT :p

But then again, if you're on your phone as much as I am, you'd love it too. I just don't love e-mails at 0324hrs...

You do realize that FIDO=ROGERS right?

I was with Fido before Rogers took them over.

MedTech said:
I was with Fido before Rogers took them over.

Gotcha  ;)

BTW Here on the ROCK Rogers sucks donkey nuts they only go as far as Clarenville, NL .

Such a thing does exist with Rogers (i am on it) but they don't really advertise it and the only reason i found out about it was through a friend that works for the company.  I would think it is similar to other plans for Canadian federal employees etc as it was described to me as a "government corporate plan". but it does end up being a pretty sweet deal.  Let me clarify, that unless something has changed, you do have to be on a contract with Rogers where you are billed monthly.

I won't go into specifics about my plan and what i pay (i will do so by PM), the funny thing is that when i did call about it several years ago i was put on hold while my customer service rep blew some dust off a book somewhere, haha, after several minutes i was signed up, didn't ask me for any proof whatsoever that i was indeed a member of the CF! no unit, rank, SN, natta! i thought that was a bit odd, but again that was based on my experience.

cheers

PV

NFLD Sapper said:
Gotcha  ;)

BTW Here on the ROCK Rogers sucks donkey nuts they only go as far as Clarenville, NL .

Hehehe :D That sucks for you mate :)

So I've been with the largest companies in Canada and I can honestly say Roger has been the best so far. I've got a crackberry that's on a Federal plan and it rocks! I get unlimited evening and weekends, 1000 weekday minute, unlimited Rogers - Rogers -Fido, a kick butt data package, voice mail and caller ID... how much? $120. I LOVE IT.

I would also have to echo MedTech sentiments, i don't think i will ever switch from Rogers they have been pretty great from a customer service perspective.  The GSM network that Rogers uses does make it very simple to upgrade your phone when you need, as you simply switch your card to the new phone.

cheers

PV

Not really I pray at the temple of BELL/ALIANT (got no real other choice), well I suppose I could go with Telus but all they do is rent off the Aliant Cell Towers.

PViddy said:
Such a thing does exist with Rogers (i am on it) but they don't really advertise it and the only reason i found out about it was through a friend that works for the company.  I would think it is similar to other plans for Canadian federal employees etc as it was described to me as a "government corporate plan". but it does end up being a pretty sweet deal. 

I can assure you that whatever plan you have, it is not even close to a "government corporate plan".  If it were, you wouldn't buy it.  The government corporate plan with Rogers and Telus for cellphones and Blackberrys does not include any free minutes, period.  All minutes are billable.  Data is only covered up to 30 MB, at which point it becomes billable by the MB.

MedTech, I've sent you a PM, but then I thought that perhaps others like myself would also like to know the same thing.

What did you have to do to get the plan? as in who did you talk to, and how roundabout was it to get done.

Thanks on my own and others' behalf

Occam said:
I can assure you that whatever plan you have, it is not even close to a "government corporate plan".  If it were, you wouldn't buy it.  The government corporate plan with Rogers and Telus for cellphones and Blackberrys does not include any free minutes, period.  All minutes are billable.  Data is only covered up to 30 MB, at which point it becomes billable by the MB.

Mind if I ask how you know that??  I've administered all 3 of the bills from our providers in my former units...Crackberry included.  Maybe things have changed but....it wasn't that way before.

Eye In The Sky said:
Mind if I ask how you know that??  I've administered all 3 of the bills from our providers in my former units...Crackberry included.  Maybe things have changed but....it wasn't that way before.

New national wireless service contracts, cut by PWGSC on Feb 26, 2007.  See your tel rep for details.    :)

Eye In The Sky said:

I think perhaps it has ... he's got it pretty much bang-on as to what occurs here.

Gawd forbid I actually "open" any attachments I get; if it can wait for us to open on the desktop ... that's what we do as SOP around my workplace these days.  :-\

I can assure you that whatever plan you have, it is not even close to a "government corporate plan".  If it were, you wouldn't buy it.  The government corporate plan with Rogers and Telus for cellphones and Blackberrys does not include any free minutes, period.  All minutes are billable.  Data is only covered up to 30 MB, at which point it becomes billable by the MB.

I can assure you that you are mostly incorrect.  I have no free minutes per say, nor did i state that previously.  What i did say is that what i do pay for is a really great deal.  When i ordered my plan, i specifically asked for the plan for members of the CF, coincidentally, i am sure you find other large groups of employees have similar discount plans (i.e teachers unions)  I am looking at my bill right now, it's called a "corporate plan" for members of the CF.  for any further clarification i would think it would make sense to contact them directly.

cheers

PV

PViddy said:
I can assure you that you are mostly incorrect.  I have no free minutes per say, nor did i state that previously.  What i did say is that what i do pay for is a really great deal.  When i ordered my plan, i specifically asked for the plan for members of the CF, coincidentally, i am sure you find other large groups of employees have similar discount plans (i.e teachers unions)  I am looking at my bill right now, it's called a "corporate plan" for members of the CF.  for any further clarification i would think it would make sense to contact them directly.

cheers

PV

Ah. Clarification then.

It's a "Corporate Plan" for members of the CF.

It's NOT a CF Corporate Plan with them though (ie it's not the plan whereby they are providing corporate services to the CF in a working enviornment for "official" business).

It's a civvy plan with a fancy name for members of the CF to join if they wish for "personal" use. That does make a world of difference in the context of it all.

Occam said:
New national wireless service contracts, cut by PWGSC on Feb 26, 2007.  See your tel rep for details.    :)
ArmyVern said:
I think perhaps it has ... he's got it pretty much bang-on as to what occurs here.

Gawd forbid I actually "open" any attachments I get; if it can wait for us to open on the desktop ... that's what we do as SOP around my workplace these days.  :-\

Wow.  That is a pretty big change..and not in a good way IMO.  We had 'packages' avail back when I looked after this stuff at Bde HQ (voice and data for the CBerries). 

C'est la vie!

I have to say, Aliant has been good to me. I got on this plan way back in G'town -

Landline + 5 features
HS Internet
LD Package (Anywhere in Altlantic Canada anytime - free)
Cell - 500 anytime minutes (plus the standard week-end / evenings after 6)

Ready for this?  $72.00 monthly!!

I added my satellite for another 75.00 and haven't looked back. The reception on my cell is awesome (NFLD Sapper - I got 3 bars DEEP in Indian Bay at my cabin on #2 pond... ;D)

The Dutch had the right idea when we were deployed to Africa. If there is anyone on here who was there knows what I mean... Their cell providers gave them free cell phones with ALL the bells and whistles prior to deployment and offered them a reduced roaming package with unlimited texting. Seeing that they were going to be so far from their friends and family, what better way to communicate?

But Africa, you say? Not much roaming capability there, huh? Not a problem for their provider - they dropped a tower in their camp!! We went over to their mess once for a game of pool and talk about a sea of neon glow!! Hundreds of soldiers - all on cell phones!!!

And all for one low price - IIRC, about 50 guilder.

Talk is that Telus and Bell are getting together to upgrade their systems - they,ll share the pain as they get the GSM SIMM cards that'll make them world phone compatible AND give them room to negotiate with world phone carriers elsewhere to share in Roaming fees... which Rogers / FIDO currently have a monopoly on...

BinRat55 said:
I have to say, Aliant has been good to me. I got on this plan way back in G'town -

Landline + 5 features
HS Internet
LD Package (Anywhere in Altlantic Canada anytime - free)
Cell - 500 anytime minutes (plus the standard week-end / evenings after 6)

Ready for this?   $72.00 monthly!!

I added my satellite for another 75.00 and haven't looked back. The reception on my cell is awesome (NFLD Sapper - I got 3 bars DEEP in Indian Bay at my cabin on #2 pond... ;D)

Bin my rant was with Rogers and since we really don't have any other options here on the rock besides Bell/Aliant is the best choice.

Inever had any problems with Rogers here in Montreal, that is until I got a Blackberry and got stiffed on data. How's about a $958 bill for a month? Now they have some better data plans but back when the blackberry first came here about 2 years ago, man the data plans were garbage :crybaby:

Back