• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF cellphone plan

Griswald DME

Inactive
Reaction score
My wife and I are tired of paying an average of $110 (including taxes, 6.95 charge, call id etc.) for our two cell phones.   We are with Rogers and our two-year contract is up in November so we are looking for an alternative plan, or an alternative provider.

I do not want FIDO as there canadian coverage sucks, outside the city its very difficult/near impossible to get coverage. So I want to stick with one of the providers with a large coverage area, especially when I go on course to who knows where in Canada, etc.

Anyone here know of a company that gives a great plan/military discount?   I live in Vancouver but really it doesn't matter who I deal with I would imagine.

DME

Holy crfap man thats a lot of money for cell phones.  I have a pay as you go plan only because I don't use my cell that often.  Have you phoned Rogers and Telus to see what they offer Military?

DME, that all depends where you live. Mind shedding some light?

I'm sure I don't need to tell you but..anything over a one year contract is a bad idea.
I've learned it the hard way.

Cpl4Life said:
What do you want him to shed some light on?

lol don't mind me, just realized he said where he was from. Thanks for pointing it out :)

DME: Try Telus, as far as I know they donot have a military discount, however, I don't know for sure. Just call thier customer care, they will let you know for sure. You'll find more info here http://www.telusmobility.com/bc/pcs/index.shtml

I have always used Rogers/Cantel, and receive a Fed Gov discount. I pay $23/month plus fees for 200 anytime mins.....

I wouldn't use Telus for any cost. Bastards tried to charge me $9 for 'administrative Costs' to cancel call waiting.....and the bugger explained that this was to cover the data entry costs entailed in cancelling my call waiting. I told him that was like going into a corner store to buy a chocolate bar and being charged $1, plus $0.50 to ring it up.

Anyhow, I digress. Stay away from Telus, they are just awful.

Heck, I don't wear a uniform anymore, and Rogers gave me a discount, after I told them I had just released.

Ask, you may be surprised.

I haven't experience any problems with telus. I've been with telus for almost 3 years now and I haven't had any problems dealing with them. Excellent coverage.

One provider you folks forgot to mention is Bell... They can be a stickler on the contracts but they have greatest coverage of all cellphones in Canada by far. I have a Fido and will not ever leave them until I absolutely have to, but if I DID, I would chose Bell.

They have very customizable packages/plans and by far best coverage. Make sure when you get a phone from them that you get one that has Analog AND Digit GPRS coverage though or you'll only get about 1/3 the coverage area...

I will NEVER go to Telus... RIPOFF! Crappy coverage inside any buildings, ok outside.. I've worked for a major cellphone provider for a couple years now and know the ins and outs etc... Wouldn't ever go with Rogers either.... Absolute GARBAGE... Crappy plans and coverage+you have to sign contract...

SO...

Benefits of each company:
FIDO- No contracts, good plans/packages, somewhat weak coverage
Bell- Best coverage, need contract, somewhat more $$$
Telus- Medium coverage except inside, $$$ also, average plans (Marketing is thier trick to get you to sign up!!!)
Rogers- Crappy plans and coverage, ripoff contracts

*****NOTE*****
Any cellphone provider now days has what the competitors all refer to as "World Capable Cellphones", in other words they will work /almost/ anywhere in any industrialized nation. That is because they will simply roam off the local networks and route your calls for you. Therefore if your on an OP somewhere in Buckfuck woods up North, if there is a city nearby, it'll prolly work...

These phone's aren't actually all the expensive either... If you want to get really expensive though you can get a satellite phone. Don't even know WHERE to get one of those though..

Joe
Trying to help!
:cdn:

Recruit Joe said:
Telus- Medium coverage except inside,

I find most times it's your type of phone that limits your signal in a building. I've been to Pet, Meaford, Gagetown, Wainwright and Twenty Nine Palms, California with Telus. Gotten good signals in all places. Both in the training area and in buildings, when the Bell guys couldn't. If there's a signal to be had, I can get it. Also never had any problem with the company since '98.

recceguy said:
I find most times it's your type of phone that limits your signal in a building. I've been to Pet, Meaford, Gagetown, Wainwright and Twenty Nine Palms, California with Telus. Gotten good signals in all places. Both in the training area and in buildings, when the Bell guys couldn't. If there's a signal to be had, I can get it. Also never had any problem with the company since '98.

Thats true, plus it has to do with the bandwidth. The lower bandwidth, or frequency bands like 800/850 mhz have more penetrating power, and you will get better signal from one of those bandwidths in buildings as opposed to 1900mhz. Of course like you said the receiver in the phone itself matters alot too. Also, every single building is different too. RF interference varies from building to building. Maybe one building has shielded twisted pair CAT 5 cable, when another only uses unshielded.. (more RF interference)

Caeser said:
Anyhow, I digress. Stay away from Telus, they are just awful.
I agree, I have a telus pay as you go, and although they have a good (comparatively) airtime rate for pay as you go, if your phone breaks, has to be replaced for any reason, or you just plain want to change your phone, they charge you $25 to type a few numbers into a computer to change the # to a new phone, and it's all automated on their end, YOU call in or go online and enter the info to change it over. aaarrggghhh!!!!!!!

I can not completely expres my disgust with Rogers TWICE they entered the wrong numbers from my cheque (pre authorized payment) and started hounding me for money because the bills were not being paid. I finally flipped and told them to go pound sand. Been with Telus since Feb and have a Motorola T731, best phone I have ever had, gets reception anywhere. I recently went to NS on vacation and the phone works there too!! The only place it hasn't worked is the Hamilton Airport  ??? For my money, Telus is the best out there.

I have the DND corporate account with Bell. Pretty good, I'm trying to find the contract to get more details.
I guess my ammo can filing method isn't as good as I thought.

Cheers

You call rogers and ask for a corporate plan when they ask which company you say national defence. I got 150 mins and unlimited weeknights after 6pm and unlimited weekends for 25$.

sweet deal, now i just have to figure a way to join the reserves while working the continental shift ???

I get 150 minutes (plenty for me) and free long distance anywhere in North America (great for me) for $30.00/ mth. Plus all the other little doo dads Caller ID, Call Waiting, International Calling, etc. Straight plan, no discount.

Of course your actual handset/phone will ultimately determine how good your reception is, that is why I suggested getting a phone that is Analog+Digital+GPRS capable (GPRS not to be mistaken with GPS), and if you can afford it, world capable. You will most likely pay "roaming" charges if you enable the world feature and travel of course...

Joe

The ever vigilant fido customer:

For the last couple years, FIDO has had a rewards program for good customers where you can get a new phone for a discounted price. I got a $200.00 phone for $45.00 brand new, NO CONTRACT.. Because I paid my bill on time for a year....
;D

meni0n said:
You call rogers and ask for a corporate plan when they ask which company you say national defence. I got 150 mins and unlimited weeknights after 6pm and unlimited weekends for 25$.

I have a corporate plan with Bell (its through future shop, though they hopefully have one for the dnd) and it costs me $25/month for:
200 free mins/month
free evenings and weekends from 6pm to 8am, instead of 8pm to 7am
free web browsing
free call display
free 25msg holder answering machine
1/2 price long distance calls anywhere in North america
and im not sure what the price is but discounted use for international calls when you go abroad

I've been all over Canada and have never had a problem with bell coverage, its awesome! rogers is pretty good as well though! dont go for telus as they are a complete ripoff
Hope this helps.

Back