• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDS stepping down!

Do you feel General Hillier should step down on his announced date of 1st July?

• Total voters
Damn!  We're screwed now.  Sorry to see him go.

Having watched various CDS' come and go over thirty years, I'm somewhat sorry that General Hillier will be "pulling the pin". His leadership and handling of the politicians (those politicians both in and out of uniform) was second to none. I sincerely hope that his successor is "cut from the same cloth".
I certianly hope the government does not appoint someone because its the other elements "turn", like was done in the 80's and 90's.The CF is not an organization that can be command by children who need a "turn". That got us in a great deal of trouble. The best person for the job should get it, not because its someones "turn".
Any bets on who's next.....LGen Leslie comes to mind......

:'( Damn it! Huge shoes to fill and call me a pessamist but I think the replacement will have difficulties

No man or woman is bigger than the job they do.  I admit that his shoes will be impossible to fill.  I imagine that his successor would be better off if he brought his own shoes.

Hillier stepping down

Hillier stepping down as head of Canada's military
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 | 11:11 AM ET
CBC News
Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of Canada's defence staff, will step down July 1, CBC News has confirmed.

The native of Newfoundland and Labrador has been in the job since February 2005.

More to come:

Hillier stepping down as head of Canada's military
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 | 11:29 AM ET
Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of Canada's defence staff, will step down July 1, CBC News has confirmed.

The native of Newfoundland and Labrador has been in the job since February 2005. The role doesn't have a defined length, but the average tenure is three to five years.

Last October, it was reported that the Conservatives were seeking to push the outspoken senior military commander out of his job.

But Prime Minister Stephen Harper denied the report, praising Hillier as an outstanding soldier and saying there had been no discussion about the possibility of changing the chief of defence staff.

Hillier had also said he's not finished his work as defence chief.

"I love being a soldier," Hillier said in October. "I still have things to do here in the immediate future, and I intend to do them."

Hillier is viewed as highly popular among the rank-and-file of Canada's military. His own career has spanned three decades — he joined the army right after graduating from Memorial University.

Before being named chief of defence staff, he was the head of the army and also commanded the NATO-led multinational Afghanistan mission in 2004

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
No man or woman is bigger than the job they do.  I admit that his shoes will be impossible to fill.  I imagine that his successor would be better off if he brought his own shoes.

If no man or woman is bigger then the job they do then I guess there's alot to say about how they interpet their job. In my memory (which isn't what it use to be mind you) we have always had a CDS but never had one like Hillier!

Hillier to step down as top general: CTV

Hillier to step down as top general: CTV
Updated Tue. Apr. 15 2008 11:25 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Gen. Rick Hillier, Canada's high-profile chief of defence staff, will be stepping down, CTV News has learned.

CTV"s Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife told Canada AM on Tuesday that Hillier has reportedly decided that he wants to move on.

Fife said there is no policy disagreement or other troubles with the government.

CTV News reported in October 2007 that Hillier would be replaced when his three-year term expired in February.

Chiefs of defence staff normally serve a three-year term, but that isn't fixed. Defence commentators said at the time that they thought Hillier would welcome an extension or renewal.

The Liberal government of then-prime minister Paul Martin appointed Hillier as chief of defence staff in January 2005.

In his inaugural speech, Hillier called for more money for Canada's Armed Forces, after spending cutbacks as the federal government tried to bring chronic deficit spending under control in the 1990s.

Hillier also envisioned a new role for the Canadian military in the 21st century, a more nimble force capable of responding to the emerging threats of terrorism and natural disasters.

In addition to being a strategic thinker with field experience, Hillier is revered by the troops, particularly the army.

"I've been in Afghanistan twice with (Hillier), and it's just overwhelming to see how these young men and women admire this general," Fife said.

"We haven't seen a general like this, at least in my lifetime, who has inspired so much from his troops and is so popular with the Canadian public."

One reason for that is when Hillier is on a visit, he would rather talk to his soldiers than be seen with the prime minister or other top politicians, he said.

Under both the Liberals and Conservatives, the Armed Forces have seen an increase in its budget, so Hillier will leave a solid base for his successor, Fife said.  

Teflon said:
If no man or woman is bigger then the job they do then I guess there's alot to say about how they interpet their job. In my memory (which isn't what it use to be mind you) we have always had a CDS but never had one like Hillier!
I agree.  Hence my point about the successor making their own path.

Now I guess the question for him would be, "What next?" Is he gonna pull a Ray Henault and stay with the CF for a few more years?

Last year, when all the HooRaa was going on about Hillier going to be fired, I believe someone predicted that it wouldn't happen until things had died down, probably in the range of June-July 08.

They were dead on.

Prediction:

Well now with the Americans announcing their move of troops into the south, and the French too ...

And with a minority government here in Canada ...

Who sees an announcement in the near future with "Canada's plans to move to strictly reconstruction efforts" besides me?? Just in time for an election.

Anyone?? Bueller??

Sooooooo very glad that I am now pensionable.  ;)

A sad, sad day indeed. The man is tired, I think he deserves the order of Canada for what he did for our military, nothing short of spectacular. As for someone filling his shoes, he was one of a kind...

Rockpainter:

According to the book "The Unexpected War", before Hillier was chosen there was serious consideration to taking an MGen, promoting him to Gen, and naming him as CDS.  That plan fizzled, and that MGen was eventually promoted and now commands the Army.

Well I guess we couldn't have him forever, he has accomplished a lot and is a truly great leader. It's been a pleasure Sir :salute:

:(  I knew it wouldn't be long until I started seeing comments like this:

PK
You know a certain mission is going bad when you see your "so called" top solider "moving on." Who is "cut and running" now?

(comment to CTV news story on CDS leaving)

I am very shocked at his timing and the mixed message it sends. I hope he makes a statement soon, there is too much speculation going on.

One of the problems of someone "filling the shoes" of his predecessor is the fit.  Hillier was Hillier and, regardless that he attained the highest rank and position available in the Canadian military, his personality and individual qualities would always have been the same.  He is a very likeable guy.  One of the factors in his success as CDS was been his "public" image, but he only became a "public" figure because of the situation.  His personality came through in his media coverage.  His successor may not have the same personality and if he tries to replicate that success it could have a blowback effect.

muffin said:

PK
You know a certain mission is going bad when you see your "so called" top solider "moving on." Who is "cut and running" now?

(comment to CTV news story on CDS leaving)

Who the heck said that?

Back