• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDS stepping down!

Do you feel General Hillier should step down on his announced date of 1st July?

• Total voters
I'd like to meet the gentleman who said Hillier is "cutting and running". He'd be "cutting and running" once my CSM persona took over....what right does this piece of crap have to say about General Hillier? Who is this person"? HAs he/she served ONE DAY in a uniform? (McDonalds doesn't count).
I certainly hope someone has take taken this person to task.

Lol...if I didn't know any better I would figure that comment would come from Stephen Staples.

I've gone to the CTV story and replied to "PK". He/she has been chastized in a way that will leave no doubt what our opinion is...if CTV will publish it is another matter. Oh...their "expert"..none other than our favorite Scott Taylor.

Just a way to show Gen Hillier he wil be missed by Milnet.ca.

Not that I really expect him to notice lol.

muffin said:
I am very shocked at his timing and the mixed message it sends. I hope he makes a statement soon, there is too much speculation going on.

I think this is exactly the right time for the General to retire if that is what he has been thinking of doing. Afghanistan is an ongoing project, he has got the military needed equipment with more on the way and there are a number of Lt.Gens qualified to take his place.

What's shocking about that?

Just read this on CTV. A sad day for the CF. I'm also hoping he makes a statement soon. I'm curious why he decided to step down.

OldSolduer said:
I'd like to meet the gentleman who said Hillier is "cutting and running". He'd be "cutting and running" once my CSM persona took over....what right does this piece of crap have to say about General Hillier? Who is this person"? HAs he/she served ONE DAY in a uniform? (McDonalds doesn't count).
I certainly hope someone has take taken this person to task.

That was nothing.  You don't know how angry this Serving Member's post made me:

Still Serving in Spite of Him
Good News / Bad News:

Good - he's going. Bad - not till July.

Maybe now the Gov't & DND can get out of this single-minded Afghanistan racket and get out from under the guiding hand of the WWW - (George) W's Washington Warmongers.

That insult really hit me personnally for some reason.  If this Serving Member still feels that way, they shouldn't be Serving.

And then later this anti-war commentator

Gary
I really like the comment Who is "cut and running" now?
I am totally flabbergasted by the support this gentlemen enjoyed from the rank and file.
But then again for reasons never clearly understood even Mulroney enjoyed unprecedented
support at one time.
His quitting is none too soon. With all due respect to his fan club this gentleman was promoted
beyond his competence. His less than cerebral description and understanding of the enemy and
his swallowing all the Bush and Cheney pretexts for the illegal occupation as very disturbing.

Some people just take sleeping safe and sound at night too much for granted.

I don't post much, as I'm still a civvie and rarely have anything to add that someone experienced couldn't bring up...

I will say I'm very sorry I didn't get sworn in in time to serve under this Man.

Can we have an "As long as it's his choice" option? I'd hate to vote "Yes" and then find out he's leaving because of a family illness or something.

Ah, Scott Taylor. 
This is a sad day indeed.  I have the utmost respect for General Hillier and everything he has done for our troops and our families.  He will be missed!

I don't think the poll is doing him any justice.  He has done a superb job and will be missed.  It is unfair to say that he stay and see the Mission in Afghanistan come to its conclusion, as that may take generations.  Nor is it fair to say that he needs to see the Transformation of the CF through to the finish, as there may be a need for more fresh ideas and younger men and women to carry out that Transformation (As long as it doesn't wither on the vine or collapse in upon itself).  He would stagnate if he did.

He has done a superb job, and will be missed.  I am sure he has decided the timing of his announcement, not someone else, and has a well thought out plan for his future.  All we can do is hope him all the very best in his future endeavours.

I will just leave it as a Yes or a No and let the voter draw their own conclusions

muffin said:
:(  I knew it wouldn't be long until I started seeing comments like this:

PK
You know a certain mission is going bad when you see your "so called" top solider "moving on." Who is "cut and running" now?
Think that is bad?
Look at this!  :rage:
FoolMeOnce
It's great to hear how much the soldiers admired and revered Gen Hillier. We have a lot to thank him for. Why if it wasn't for him and the previous Liberal government we wouldn't have had the great opportunity to go to Afghanistan and kill our solders.
Thank you

Draft this waste of oxygen and use it as target practice for the new Leo2s.

Midget

Strike said:
Who the heck said that?

It is just in the comments section under the CTV News story... there are a few nasty ones in there

Our system does work though. Notice the debate, and differing points of view.  
BUT having said that, I think its time that some of these fools and clowns were put in their places. For "serviceman" who said he stayed in spite of General Hillier...you are just that - a "Serviceperson"-  not a soldier, sailor or airmen (sorry ladies, its a term, not sexist). It s hight time YOU retired with your pension that Genral Hillier et al before him ensured you received. You should get out....you are a stain upon the military.

Just 5 minutes in a room alone with someone like that, @#$@#$@ @#$@ @#$@4 @#
anger rising urge to kill rising

come on there is a reason I am still a Cpl after 12 years in the forces  :threat:  ;D

He'll be missed (it'll be interesting to see how much the politicians will pick up the slack re:  communicating about the AFG mission in his absence), but as others wiser than myself have said, it's best if the next incumbent brings his/her own shoes.

ArmyVern said:
Prediction:

Well now with the Americans announcing their move of troops into the south, and the French too ...

And with a minority government here in Canada ...

Who sees an announcement in the near future with "Canada's plans to move to strictly reconstruction efforts" besides me?? Just in time for an election.

I'd bet with you on that one....

It'll also be interesting to see next phase of MSM follow-up (my guess, anyway) along the lines of, "was he pushed, or is he just leaving on his own?"

wow .. Wikipedia is updated already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Hillier

I admire Hillier's ability to rise above the pre-determined bounds of the CDS position and really craft a public media persona that helped him get his message out to the people of Canada even when politicians were not eager for the public to hear what the General had to say.  I think his charismatic leadership will be missed.

And as for all this other rambling, criticisms and sniping political statements on other websites.  I also seriously hope that those who feel so strongly about these remarks will respond with calm determination, not anger, nothing feeds these kind of comments like having someone to really engage in an argument online, don't give them that opportunity.  

I hope to hear a statement from the CDS soon, letting people speculate too much will do him a disservice.  

Back