• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAP Aldershot

Well, you've got the two big things in the works then!  PMA is everything on that course.  Keep that going and the rest will work out fine.  As long as you keep driving through it everything else will fall into line.  Don't be afraid to ask questions  and seek advice from your staff, they're a wealth of knowledge beyond the TP that you should try hard to tap into!

Embrace the Suck!

combat service support said:
Thanks All. I am working on my PT and building my PMA(positive mental attitude.) I'm psyched up and ready to learn.

Cheers,

CSS

Holy crap, a post that I can actually give input on (to a degree) from my past experience!!

I did my BMQ and QL3 at Aldershot (well, until I ripped the snot out of my leg and was forced into a Med RTU).

Here's my tips for your course and for Aldershot :

1 - Go in with eyes and ears open, do not have any preconcieved notions. Just be ready to do exercise and learn.

2 - Aldershot is nothing but sand and swamp, with some woods here and there and the occasional road that *may* have shale on it. It can be very rough if your not used to walking on loose soil type areas. If your ankles roll alot or you easily get sprained I'd look for some way to strengthen them.

3 - Aldershot gets hot. Be prepared to drink your water and ask for more. Aldershot can skyrocket in temperature through the afternoon. On my QL3 a W/O who had been to the middle east said they were similar. We've had several occasions that training was suspended because it got too hot out. I've also seen cans of pop and open canteens dissipate in the matter of an afternoon there, and a pop machine had to be replaced because it's refrigeration unit kept dying.

4 - If it rains get ready for black flies and mud. Enjoy!

5 - People won't like me saying this, but if you're a West Novie and your instructors are PLF from Halifax, be prepared to have the screws put to you on course. There's a LOT of "competitiveness" between the 2 units and some take it to hostility. I know that on several occasions that PLF on course were given preferential treatment and West Novies were given the shit end, it was reported and investigated on several occasions and some of the staff were given an ultimatum (we were told this by a WNSR staff member). After this happened things were a bit better for a while.  ( I am saying this but at the same time will say that many PLF are amazing soldiers and people, but as with any group they feel that being hostile is the way things should be. Some PLF recruits also carry this attitude and it is seen by the instructors.)

6 - Ignore the asshole 'super solder' wannabe's, the lazy douchebags that will push their work off onto you and so on. These people will usually be seen by the instructors for who they are. Just make sure that once in a while you play dumb or let things slip around instructors. (On my course, alot of the city boys were lazy and if partnered with a hard worker would "allow" them to do their jobs for them. It was as easy as going up to the instructors and asking them if they've seen so-and-so because they still have to do their half, or telling them you need to go to the bathroom and have you seen so-and-so because they took off X minutes ago). This, of course, can be applied anywhere really ;)

7 - DO NOT EAT AT THE GRECO PIZZA NEAR THE BASE UNLESS YOU WANT THE SHITS. IF YOU HAVE CONSTIPATION THE MEDICS WILL RECOMMEND YOU ORDER FROM HERE.

There was some more things I was going to say but they've pretty well become a moot point because the base has changed quite a bit. I have alot of fond memories from there, I just wish that at the time I was fully aware of what I was getting into, and I wish that at the time my attitude was different, but it was a learning experience and now that I look back and really can't wait till my re-enlistment into basic training for the reg force.

combat service support said:
Alright,

There is another issue of concern. Pertaining to the material I will be learning on the course, I have had a touch exposure to most topics mentioned except offensives and patrols.  I believe that our unit will teach a little on defences, I will get the chance to observe, but, patrols, I don't believe I will have any exposure to them before the course. This has become my main concern.

I am wondering what strategies to prepare planning and execution for patrols and offensives.  Knowing these, I will have an idea what I will be up against on the course.

Again, your assistance would be appreciated.

CSS

Hey CSS, don't read into things too deeply, you'll stress out before arriving.

As much as course are there for you to learn and advance, they are also fun too, as its the people who can make the worst place a happy place.

Have fun!

Yeah I had alot of fun when I was there but there were alot of rough times. Just watch Basic Up and you'll get an idea of what goes on. The WNSR instructors I had at the time were great people and there is a shitload of unit pride. Not just alot but a shitload, and just remember the boys from Windsor are usually clinically insane.

Well, I should mention that I was in 1999-2001. Most of the people I was in training with are probably Master Corporals or have left, but I do know of a few that are still there ;)

Wesley  Down Under said:
Hey CSS, don't read into things too deeply, you'll stress out before arriving.

As much as course are there for you to learn and advance, they are also fun too, as its the people who can make the worst place a happy place.

Have fun!

That is more than 100% true.

RTaylor,

Although you might have your opinion on the rivalry between the Novies and PLF, I could also say the same thing for 1RNBR and the PLF, 1 RNBR and the West Novies, 1 NSH and 2 NSH, 2 NSH and the PLF...see a pattern?  No doubt, many a PLF solider over the years has told similar stories of them DAMN West Novies Master-Jacks who screwed them over.  Having known and worked with MANY troops, NCOs and Officers, I will verify there is what I call a healthy Regimental "we are better than you" attitude in both units, and all Res Cmbt Amrs unit in LFAA (both 36 and 37 CBG) just like there should be.

Something to think about....the unit rivalries go back decades and I would be sad to see them go, if the truth be told. 

Eye In The Sky said:
And 45 and 56 FES...the mud gunners/Herbie units...its a long list!

And we all know who the better unit is  ;)  ;D

I  100% agree Eye, rivalries are a positive thing but the negative portion of this was favoritism to their recruits and the deal that the Novies got. Our whole course except 1 Mcpl, the Captain and a sargent were PLF, they were the ones that reported this issue.

seen.  It happens from time to time.  Am I correct in guessing the instructors were Jnr NCOs that you had the most problem with?  (Cpls and MCpls)

Why how did you ever know  ;D

There were a couple of higher ranks at the time that also gave some troubles.

I came back 11 minutes late one day and got put in front of the course CO regarding this, was fined $75. All well and done because I missed Sunday muster when we were all supposed to be back on base.

Another PLF private not only missed that on the same day, but when he finally got there he was told to go shower and get his gear ready, and the next morning missed morning PT, muster and so on and the MP's couldnt even find him. He showed up just after we got done eating lunch and told the PLF W/O in charge that he was at the pop machine. I'm dead serious. He never even got a lecture. I still remember this guys name, a real douchebag of a guy, lazier than shit and willing to try to do anything to shirk duties.

It was actually this event that sparked some of the more dutiful staff to bring this issue and others to the C/O attention.

And God bless thems Newfies, some of the best guys I ever met and the craziest bastards to ever be around. Loved hanging around them, hilarious and very good soldiers IMO.

I asked because I know ALOT of the WOs and Sgts in the PLF and I don't know many of them that hadn't professionally outgrown the "screw the other units troops" stuff.

If you are referring to Warrant Officer when you type W/O, its normally just WO. 

I can't comment on the other stuff as I wasn't there but...I've seen some things handled 'oddly' before in Aldershot.  And not just at the troop/Jnr NCO levels.  *shrugs*

I'll be on this course too. Anyone else also doing BOTP in May and then starting CAP in June?

Loch Sloy,

I will also be doing the BMOQ (BOTP) in May in Aldershot. I found out from WO of my unit there is no pre course assignment for BMOQ. All good to go.  8)

To all who replied after my last post,  cheers.  :cdn:

CSS

Don't sweat CAP in Aldershot, it really isn't that bad. As for the rivalry, it too isn't THAT bad.

Aldershot eh. I'd book a room in Juno Tower in Halifax every weekend.  When I was there in 99 a lot of people took limos to the Digby ferry or to Halifax as it was the cheapest means of tpt other then having your own car as you could split the costs by 6 or 7.

Garett...I was there in 2000 in the summer...did my basic starting in '99.

The only thing to watch out for at Aldershwitz is the marshes, loose sand, temperature and the local Greco Pizza. I have no doubt they keep a tight rein on old rivalries and dislikes.

Back