• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAP Aldershot

combat service support

Inactive
Reaction score
Gents (and Ladies),

Not to keep beating a dead horse, I would like to know if someone who took the CAP at Aldershot last year would be able to shed some light on this course.  8)

I would be interested in knowing all particulars.

Cheers,

CSS

CAP or Common Army Phase

The aim of this training is to provide junior officers with the basic skills required to survive and fight in the battlefield environment. This will introduce the candidates to offensive and patrolling operations and participate in section defensive operations. They will learn field craft, navigation, mine awareness and aircraft/vehicle recognition skills. They will operate Army weapons, (rifle, machine gun and grenade), and communication systems. Candidates will also learn how to plan platoon operations and to conduct conventional small arms firing ranges. The physical fitness program will be demanding but gradual and will culminate with a 13 kilometers march at the end of the course.

NFLD Sapper,

Thanks for your info, it's a great start.  What you've written has made the course seem very interesting and of course challenging.  I've passed the BFT last December and what I would like to know is how far is the running PT.  Does is start off slow and PU to standard, or is it standard from the start?

Discipline, how much is at Aldershot?  Is there also a course syllabus?

Lastly, do you have any tips to physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually prepare for this course?

Cheers,
CCS

combat service support said:
NFLD Sapper,

Thanks for your info, it's a great start.  What you've written has made the course seem very interesting and of course challenging.  I've passed the BFT last December and what I would like to know is how far is the running PT.  Does is start off slow and PU to standard, or is it standard from the start?

Discipline, how much is at Aldershot?  Is there also a course syllabus?

Lastly, do you have any tips to physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually prepare for this course?

Cheers,
CCS

PT is based on the NCO running PT that day. Usually there is a lay out done that the DS follows.

As for discipline, you"re on course. Period. It should be just like basic. Aldershot I recall correctly is a det. of LFAATC Gagetown. I use to work on both sides so I have a tad of a clue.

As for a syllabus.. I have been away from the teaching side. I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction on that.

And as for tips for physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually stuff?
"Soldier On!"

Regards,
Schultz

Add another tip/quote:

"It takes a good follower to be a good leader."

Sgt. Schultz,

You Said:

PT is based on the NCO running PT that day. Usually there is a lay out done that the DS follows.

I see. :)

Also,

As for discipline, you"re on course. Period. It should be just like basic.

Got you.

And:

And as for tips for physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually stuff?
"Soldier On!"

Understood. This is very positive and I take this as encouragement.

Thanks for your tips. I am striving not only for success in this course but hope to try for eight top candidate or at least close to the top. I'm going to bring my PMA. I also get the good follower/ good leader proverb. That takes a humble person to live it. Thank you.

Ladies and Gents,

Is there anyone whom can hook me up to a syllabus for this summer?

Cheers,

CSS

Alright,

There is another issue of concern. Pertaining to the material I will be learning on the course, I have had a touch exposure to most topics mentioned except offensives and patrols.  I believe that our unit will teach a little on defences, I will get the chance to observe, but, patrols, I don't believe I will have any exposure to them before the course. This has become my main concern.

I am wondering what strategies to prepare planning and execution for patrols and offensives.  Knowing these, I will have an idea what I will be up against on the course.

Again, your assistance would be appreciated.

CSS

Everything will be taught to you on course. Keep in mind that many of your course mates may indeed be RegF members as well who have ZERO field time aside from what they get on courses.

Don't worry about it, when the time comes you'll learn, adapt, and execute.

Is this the New New Army?  It appears you are attempting to do your CAP Crse by Distant Learning Package.

You will be taught from the ground up, everything you need to know by your instructors.  Relax.  Wait until you get there and are finally on course.  You don't have to know anything until you sit your bottom down in class.

:ROFL: 
George Wallace said:
Is this the New New Army?  It appears you are attempting to do your CAP Crse by Distant Learning Package.
:ROFL:

Sorry George, that's sooooooo funny. I hope the army hasn't been reduced to this. I better put away the video conferencing equipment. LOL

Anyway,  I understand that aside from preparing for the PT part of the course, there is nothing I can do so, I will relax until that time. I'm sure I can find a joining instructions package just before the course starts. Have a good one.

Cheers,

CSS

To hijack this a bit,

I had someone look on the DIN for me for dates for serials this summer, but nothing has been posted yet (or at least as of two weeks ago) on Gagetown's webpage. 

Does anyone in the know have the dates for the serials this summer?

Thanks in advance to whomever can help with the info.

SweetNavyJustice said:
To hijack this a bit,

I had someone look on the DIN for me for dates for serials this summer, but nothing has been posted yet (or at least as of two weeks ago) on Gagetown's webpage. 

Does anyone in the know have the dates for the serials this summer?

Thanks in advance to whomever can help with the info.

Try G3 LFAATC Gagetown

G3 DIN ONLY

LAND FORCE ATLANTIC AREA TRAINING CENTER DETACHMENT ALDERSHOT

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't have a DIN account, or DIN access myself. 

When I checked a few weeks ago, I was on base doing admin and used one of the admin staff's accounts.  There is nothing to say that I can't do that again, but if someone can just post the dates here (if they are available), it would be appreciated.

Hello,

Sorry this is late!

I found something like a syllabus on the DIN, for those of you taking the course this summer. It looks like the 2007 course, both serials. I am sure that the 2008 will most likely be almost the same, except for the dates and a few small items. 

CIAO,

CSS

Is anyone on this web site going on CAP this summer besides myself? I am training hard now.
And no, I'm not worried.

The only info you can count on is the info you get from the Crse/camp staff once you get there.  Work on your PT, show up with serviceable kit, a good atttitude and the willingness AND ability to learn.  Selflessness.  Lead when you are supposed to lead.  Follow when you are supposed to follow. 

I see you are trying to gather as much info as you can, which is fine as long as you realize once you hit the ground, it may not and likely won't remain as it appears now.  Flexibility, and the ability to change quickly, and correctly, to the changing situation at all times is a soldier skill that is never, ever not required IMO.

I'm going on CAP in Aldershot, and since I am ROTP I have zero experience with patrols, etc.
You'll be alright. Eye in the Sky nailed it.

George Wallace said:

You will be taught from the ground up, everything you need to know by your instructors.  Relax.  Wait until you get there and are finally on course.  You don't have to know anything until you sit your bottom down in class.

I considered biding my time until I could phone in the last two mods of my Infantry Officer DP 1.1.  But instead, I just decided to get on with it.

Everything you need to know, you'll learn there, and have time to practice and absorb.  Better to learn it from the DS then euchre yourself by learning it wrong before you get there.  You're kind of "lucky", it seems like Aldershot doesn't fail anyone... though I don't think that's a good thing personally.

Back