• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

Emails are starting to be received by those of us in Halifax stating we'll get it on our end Nov pay.  Ours were received by Ottawa at the start of March.

That's great news, I hope that the people that really need it do get it before Christmas.
I know it shouldn't be counted before its actually in the bank but I think some people might be counting on that extra cash for the holidays.
:)

stokerwes said:
That's great news, I hope that the people that really need it do get it before Christmas.
I know it shouldn't be counted before its actually in the bank but I think some people might be counting on that extra cash for the holidays.
:)

I'll count on it only when it's deposited but it sure would be a nice surprise if it showed up. 

My file was recieved by Ottawa on 13 March.  My PIL payment is showing up on my EMAA statement for end November pay. 

Here is a question now that we are into December.  Do we need to resubmit the forms for the 2014 year?  If so, that is another 6 weeks till we get the paperwork back.  I'd like to get it sent in before I leave.  I am quite sure I won't see the money for quite a while since mine was not sent in until the last week of March.

If you submitted the request for no taxes to CRA then you must resubmit for 2014.  CANFORGEN soon in that topic, or so I have heard.

dapaterson said:
If you submitted the request for no taxes to CRA then you must resubmit for 2014.  CANFORGEN soon in that topic, or so I have heard.
The letter I received from CRA refers to Reduction of Income Tax Deductions at Source for "Calendar Year: 2013 or 2014 as applicable". I believe if the letter you received from CRA is also worded similarly, then if you receive your PiL in either 2013 or 2014 you should be G2G without requiring another letter. A CANFORGEN - if one is indeed forthcoming - would be helpful to alcon.

On the T2131 I put 2013 at the top and it is only good for one year, so I am sure I will have to do another.  Yes a CANFORGEN will really help.

Sunnyns said:
On the T2131 I put 2013 at the top and it is only good for one year, so I am sure I will have to do another.  Yes a CANFORGEN will really help.
  I did too, and I'm betting everyone else did also. But, my letter from CRA (which is what accompanies the PiL request, not the T1213) specifies that my employer is authorized to reduce taxes paid on income for either 2013 or 2014 as applicable. So, if your letter from CRA says the same, the pay office already has CRA approval for 2014 - you don't need to submit another T1213 and/or obtain another letter. My guess is that CRA already knew that not everyone would get their PiL before the end of CY13, so they authorized for CY14 also, probably based on lessons learned from the PS severance payout.

It may depend on your Tax Office, or on when it arrived at CRA.  My letter says "2013" six times, and never 2014.

My "Hey, 2014 please" form is being dropped at their office on Monday.

dapaterson said:
It may depend on your Tax Office, or on when it arrived at CRA.  My letter says "2013" six times, and never 2014.

My "Hey, 2014 please" form is being dropped at their office on Monday.
Interesting... I guess I just gave CRA too much credit that they'd have their collective act together on this. My letter says "Calendar Year: 2013 or 2014 as applicable" in the subject line, and then never mentions a date/year anywhere thereafter. References the lump sum payment which it says I will "receive shortly". Probably as you say, depends on the tax office issuing the letter perhaps. If I were in your shoes I'd do the same. 

We got into a discussion with a member of my Unit the other day who has served for quite a number of years, including 4 years in the Reserves back in the 1980s.  We figured he would be waiting some time for his payout because they would have to go back into the archives for his reserve service but he didn't think it would be a factor since they didn't have severance packages in the reserves back then. 

It got me wondering, how does reserve time factor into all of this if its not "broken service" (reg/reserve/reg) but a situation where someone was in the reserves, released and then eventually joined the regs. 

I know many will not be happy that I have bothered the PIL team, I know they are quite busy and I would post what they said so it could help others.  I wanted clarification on needing to fill out a new T2131 and it can take up to 6 weeks to get a response.  This was their reply cut from the email, I also thanked them for all their hard work, realize they are quite busy and sorry for interrupting their work.

Good Morning

For all payments not received in 2013 and the member wishes to have income tax with held at source a new form from Revenue Canada must be submitted.

Sunnyns said:
Good Morning

For all payments not received in 2013 and the member wishes to have income tax with held at source a new form from Revenue Canada must be submitted.

Is that above or below $10,000? I seem to remember under $10,000 just needed one form that worked for any year...

What's funny is that my husband applied on December 15th, 2012 when the cut off to apply was December 14th, 2012 and after waiting 11 months he decided to contact Ottawa and they informed him that his file did not reach their location.  So just because you think they have your file does not make it true.  Also, because his file was stamped December 15th, 2012 and the military lost his file does that mean his goes to the bottom of the pile?  When reading the CFB website it stated the processing of said files was a two year process not three and it was on a first come first serve basis, posted on CFB website regarding severances.  Thanks.

We applied for over 10,000 so I don't know about under, but thought that anything under 10,000 was paid out.  I really did not pay much attention to what applied to under.

If your husband calls the orderly room they should have a record as to when it was sent so I would start there if you are not sure they've received it.

I only passed on information that I got so that others could get their stuff in order for next year.

Sunnyns said:
We applied for over 10,000 so I don't know about under, but thought that anything under 10,000 was paid out.  I really did not pay much attention to what applied to under.

People with former reserve service still get screwed by the pay system, even after we've run far away from RPSR.

Sunnyns said:
I know many will not be happy that I have bothered the PIL team, I know they are quite busy and I would post what they said so it could help others.  I wanted clarification on needing to fill out a new T2131 and it can take up to 6 weeks to get a response.  This was their reply cut from the email, I also thanked them for all their hard work, realize they are quite busy and sorry for interrupting their work.

Good Morning

Firstly, the form is a T1213 (not T2131) and secondly, the reply from the PiL office makes no sense. Nobody is asking to have income tax withheld at source - that's what the pay office does anyway. They're asking to NOT have income tax withheld at source. Also, the need to submit another T1213 to obtain another letter from Revenue Canada for 2014 assumes that the original letter you received didn't already authorize this for 2013 or 2014, as applicable, as did mine. Double-check your letter.

My payout that I received was over $10,000 and I had put in the Revenue Canada form to have $10,000 and less not taxed as I was planning to put it into an RRSP.

So all they did was tax me on the money that was over $10,000 and the rest was not taxed at source.

Back