• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

I did re-read the paperwork.  I was told to only put 2013 on the tax form which I and I'm sure many did.  No where on my letter does it say anything about 2014 and the form is only good for that tax year.  The form does say you can put up to 2 years on it which according to this forum some did but what I was told was to only put 2013.  I'm sure the wording in the email was a miss print asking to with hold taxes, we are rolling it into RRSP's.  Anyway, take what you will from what I've said.  I sent in a second request for next year so things are not held up too much.  If it does turn out it was not necessary then at least I will have covered my bases.

tootlepj said:
What's funny is that my husband applied on December 15th, 2012 when the cut off to apply was December 14th, 2012 and after waiting 11 months he decided to contact Ottawa and they informed him that his file did not reach their location.  So just because you think they have your file does not make it true.  Also, because his file was stamped December 15th, 2012 and the military lost his file does that mean his goes to the bottom of the pile?

Am I reading this right?  He applied after the deadline and you're b*tching about issues with it?     ???

I stand corrected.

For clarity, the dates to apply were mid-Dec through mid-March, so it sounds like that person applied the day after you were permitted - not the day after it closed...

dapaterson said:
For clarity, the dates to apply were mid-Dec through mid-March, so it sounds like that person applied the day after you were permitted - not the day after it closed...

Well, that certainly makes more sense....  :nod:

tootlepj said:
What's funny is that my husband applied on December 15th, 2012 when the cut off to apply was December 14th, 2012 and after waiting 11 months he decided to contact Ottawa and they informed him that his file did not reach their location.  So just because you think they have your file does not make it true.  Also, because his file was stamped December 15th, 2012 and the military lost his file does that mean his goes to the bottom of the pile?  When reading the CFB website it stated the processing of said files was a two year process not three and it was on a first come first serve basis, posted on CFB website regarding severances.  Thanks.
Similar thing happened to me. Submitted paperwork Dec 15, left base orderly room Feb 24, I sent Ottawa an email in July just to find out my file was not submitted correctly on the OR side of the house. This was sorted out within a few days but  I still haven't received my PIL so I am assuming my file went to the bottom of the pile. Hope this is not the case for you.
My file was pretty straight forward 23.6 years all RegF no broken time.
Two things I don't understand is 1. Why did it take 2 months(ish) before my file even left the OR?
2. How can my file be so difficult that the OR submitted it incorrectly? I really feel for someone with a complicated file or someone that is really counting on the money for Christmas ( I know don't spend or count on money you don't have).
Good luck
Good luck.

stokerwes said:
Similar thing happened to me. Submitted paperwork Dec 15, left base orderly room Feb 24, I sent Ottawa an email in July just to find out my file was not submitted correctly on the OR side of the house. This was sorted out within a few days but  I still haven't received my PIL so I am assuming my file went to the bottom of the pile. Hope this is not the case for you.
My file was pretty straight forward 23.6 years all RegF no broken time.
Two things I don't understand is 1. Why did it take 2 months(ish) before my file even left the OR?
2. How can my file be so difficult that the OR submitted it incorrectly? I really feel for someone with a complicated file or someone that is really counting on the money for Christmas ( I know don't spend or count on money you don't have).
Good luck

1.  The OR probably had direction from their higher power on just how to manage PiL applications. (ie; submit in bulk, etc, etc)
2.  It's not the complication factor that's critical, it's the exactness of the "pay out".  It needs to be "exact" with NO further review.  There is nothing worse, than being paid that money and a few years down the road you decide to retire, only to find out, "oooooopppppsss"  a boo boo was made and now we have to take some of that money back.

I understand the first part, we all have to do what were told.
The payout part? 23.xx years ( can't remember exactly I got the calculation in the mail it was correct) rate of pay the day severance stopped divided by 30 then multiplied by 7 and that value multiplied by 23.xx.
Time served x (Rate of pay/30 x 7) = Payout
Is there something I'm missing?

stokerwes said:
I understand the first part, we all have to do what were told.
The payout part? 23.xx years ( can't remember exactly I got the calculation in the mail it was correct) divided by seven and then multiply rate of pay on the severance stopped. Is there something I'm missing?

Nope, there shouldn't be.  If you agreed with the "initial" calculations, then you should be fine.  But those calculations were "system" generated, so in some cases they may not be entirely accurate, hence, the requirement for a complete audit which is what is taking all the time.

IMHO, there is absolutely no justifiable defence or explanation for having something like this take in excess of a year to finalize... doesn't matter how you cut it. It's quite pathetic actually. Sure, you can say things like "Well, it's money you weren't going to have otherwise so don't worry about how long it's going to take to get it." But when you really think about how long this is taking, and why, it's pitiful. Not trying to slight the hard work being done by the 3 or 4 clerk Task Force we've established in Ottawa to tackle this (it's not their fault), but in this day and age, if this is the best we can do, we're in a heap of trouble. Again, IMHO.

Transporter said:
IMHO, there is absolutely no justifiable defence or explanation for having something like this take in excess of a year to finalize... doesn't matter how you cut it. It's quite pathetic actually. Sure, you can say things like "Well, it's money you weren't going to have otherwise so don't worry about how long it's going to take to get it." But when you really think about how long this is taking, and why, it's pitiful. Not trying to slight the hard work being done by the 3 or 4 clerk Task Force we've established in Ottawa to tackle this (it's not their fault), but in this day and age, if this is the best we can do, we're in a heap of trouble. Again, IMHO.

You make a good point and it's only my lack of understanding on the full scope of the task that stop me from jumping in whole heartedly with your sentiment.  For me though it's the thought that, in this climate of budget cuts and fiscal house cleaning, I would have thought they would have thrown more resources at the issue just to be able to say "its done and dusted...the matter is now closed".  Some more clerks in the "task force" as you call it, regionalize the process, pay out 90% immediately for the "normal" cases and use the time to tweak the rest.....    In any event, it's getting done and anyone's feelings on the process are dependent upon the status of their files.

Hot off the presses as of yesterday.....

THE DMCA 4 PIL TEAM HAS BEEN FULLY OPERATIONAL FOR MONTHS NOW AND HAS RECEIVED OVER 45 THOUSANDS FILES TO AUDIT. AUDIT HAS BEEN COMPLETED AND PAYMENT AUTHORIZED ON OVER 23 THOUSAND FILES.  THE TEAM IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON FILES RECEIVED MARCH 18TH

DAA said:
Hot off the presses as of yesterday.....

THE DMCA 4 PIL TEAM HAS BEEN FULLY OPERATIONAL FOR MONTHS NOW AND HAS RECEIVED OVER 45 THOUSANDS FILES TO AUDIT. AUDIT HAS BEEN COMPLETED AND PAYMENT AUTHORIZED ON OVER 23 THOUSAND FILES.  THE TEAM IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON FILES RECEIVED MARCH 18TH
So, only about half way complete... wow. At this rate, should probably ask CRA for a letter to cover 2015 as well  ;D

The Army chain of command is passing on that it is expected that all files will be paid out by May 2014.

Transporter said:
So, only about half way complete... wow. At this rate, should probably ask CRA for a letter to cover 2015 as well  ;D

If you haven't been notified and or received payment as yet, I would definitely encourage you and anyone else to send a second request to CRA just to cover off calendar year 2014.  It definitely can't hurt to have that letter in advance just to be on the safe side.

Well, the rumour that you'll be paid out within 16 weeks upon retirement, appears to be just that.

Coming up on 20 weeks for me so far.

Oh well, it'll come eventually.

recceguy said:
Well, the rumour that you'll be paid out within 16 weeks upon retirement, appears to be just that.

Coming up on 20 weeks for me so far.

Oh well, it'll come eventually.

Far as I know, once you are in the release process, a copy of your RTNM is suppose to be forwarded (once it is issued), so that your severance get's pushed to the top of the pile.

Sun of a Beaver !!!!  >:D

I've seen some NavRes RTNM issued 12 to 18 months after the release date.

DAA said:
Far as I know, once you are in the release process, a copy of your RTNM is suppose to be forwarded (once it is issued), so that your severance get's pushed to the top of the pile.

Yeah, well that's another of those 'rumours' I heard, hence the 16 week timeline ;)

I'd like to see something official on this. Alas, I'm no longer in a position to rattle chains or cruise the DWAN.

I have both reserve and reg force time, i was notified via email about 2 days ago that i should be getting my PiL payment 15 Dec, the issue i have is that my initial assessment of time in was wrong, as it only had my reg force so it went for audit or what have you, but i never received anything further stating how much time they were crediting me with.  Do i just address this my unit OR, the pay office or what? any suggestions?

Back