• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

Last Modified: 2013-10-29

The PIL Team has been fully operational for some months now and has received over 45,000 files to be audited. Audits have been completed on 18,353 files comprised of both Regular Force and Reserve Force.

Currently the team is auditing files received on 11 March 2013

The last update was from the 2013-10-15 and audits on files was at 15,246, so it is like 1500 files per week, average.

Bad news for that estimate.  That update was actually Oct 7 at 15,246.  October 15 update was just a link to Windows 7 SOP. So they averaged approx 1000 a week.

Well my bad.

So +/- 27 000 files left, at a +/- 1000 per week..... 27 weeks before files # 45 000 gets audit :):)

Chtulhu said:
Well my bad.

So +/- 27 000 files left, at a +/- 1000 per week..... 27 weeks before files # 45 000 gets audit :):)

Its a huge job for sure and one I wouldn't want to do.  With that having been said it's hard to sit back and wait but thats what needs to be done.  I feel like I'm a kid again trying to wait patiently until Santa comes.  lol

1000 a week?  Unacceptable!!!  What are they doing taking breaks, eating and/or sleeping?

Let's see... 1000/wk/5/day/wk/8hr/day/60min/hr= 0.42/min or 2min 23sec/file.  Unacceptable!!!

I am sure then can do better.  Who is writing their PER?

Or we can try to calculate it this way...

Since the start of the pay out, 1st April, we had close to 150 working days.

18353 files complete / 150 = 122 files per day / 610 files per weeks...

OMG it`s worst that way.... delete, delete... :)

Wonders how many people are on that team, i hope that the dude is not alone :)

Oh this is funny.

Tibbson said it so well, it's like kids counting the days till Christmas making their wish lists months in advance.

;D

Chtulhu said:
Or we can try to calculate it this way...

Since the start of the pay out, 1st April, we had close to 150 working days.

18353 files complete / 150 = 122 files per day / 610 files per weeks...

OMG it`s worst that way.... delete, delete... :)

Wonders how many people are on that team, i hope that the dude is not alone :)

Or, better yet, 18353 complete; none of them are mine; therefore mine will never be done.

I opted for 100% payout with a letter from CRA allowing for non-deduction of income tax. I plan to contribute 100% of it to a spousal RRSP as I have the unused contribution room to do this. After 3 calendar years, my wife can start taking the money out of her RRSP and declare it as her income (assuming no other contributions made in the interim). Given she does not work, as long as she does not take out more than the maximum allowable before having to pay income tax, which varies by province but is usually @ 10K, I can get all my severance tax-free (plus whatever amount the RRSP has grown by in that time). Options for the funds thereafter include mortgage pay-down, kid's post-secondary education, top-up TFSA (withdrawls from which don't count as taxable income), big ass boat, etc. This is 100% legal per CRA rules. Only downside is having to wait for the money, but if time is on your side needs-wise, I see it as a good way to go.

The 31 Dec 13 date is significant to my plan.  If I get my PiL by 31 Dec, my wife can start taking funds out of her RRSP as early as 1 Jan 2016. If I get it after 31 Dec, we have to wait another calendar year, so funds can't be taken out until 1 Jan 2017 at the earliest (not without my having to declare it as income anyway).

I'm starting to get the feeling that 31 Dec will come and go without me seeing my PiL. Does anyone know if the PiL team accepts "gratuities" for all their hard work?  :)

SupersonicMax said:
You also lose that contribution room when you cash out.
  That is correct. Not too worried about that though as there are other equally-effective places to put the money for investment purposes. For example, TFSA's can offer certain benefits over RRSPs, particularly when you start taking money out in retirement. Either way, without having to pay any income tax on it, I'm getting a far better rate of return... but I get your point.  :)

I'm starting to get the feeling that 31 Dec will come and go without me seeing my PiL. Does anyone know if the PiL team accepts "gratuities" for all their hard work?  :)

You gotta believe my friend :)....Believe.

I elected for 100% and I received mine with the end of Oct pay.  I passed it to my OR the first day possible in Dec 12 but they held the files and didn't send until 22 Feb 13.  I was notified around mid Oct that I would be receiving it.....hope this helps for timelines

Thats pretty good, I also submitted my form on the first day here in Ottawa.....My file was then sent to the PIL Team in June...

vandoos283 said:
Thats pretty good, I also submitted my form on the first day here in Ottawa.....My file was then sent to the PIL Team in June...

They give us time frame, obviously some OR didnt follow them.

How did you find out youre file was send in June ?

I submitted mine in late Feb as I needed to wait for my CRA letter but not sure when my OR sent it upwards. I'm guessing they probably had it for at least several weeks after that.

Chtulhu said:
They give us time frame, obviously some OR didnt follow them.

How did you find out youre file was send in June ?

I received a email from the PIL Team informing me my file was received, this was at the end of June.

I wish I knew when my stuff went in. They are on 11 Mar already and my stuff what signed and submitted to the orderly room before then. I hate not knowing. I wonder at what point one can inquire about problems.

You can ask.  I did.  I said I wasn't concerned if it was processed or not just curious if they had it at all.

vandoos283 said:
I received a email from the PIL Team informing me my file was received, this was at the end of June.

Ik now that PIL teams received my file, I send an email to the teams, but never in the whole process I have received something from them with any info from my case. My guess is that their is no standard in that process.

Back