• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian soldiers fined

aluc

Inactive
Reaction score
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/07/11/1679155-sun.html

Canadian soldiers fined
By KATHLEEN HARRIS, OTTAWA BUREAU, SUN MEDIA

OTTAWA -- Fourteen Canadian soldiers posted in Afghanistan were fined for being careless with their weapons in the past 18 months, according to documents from the department of national defence.

Records of disciplinary proceedings obtained by the Sun through access to information show charges relate to improperly securing rifles, leaving guns unattended or allowing a weapon to accidentally fire. Fines ranged from $400 to $1,400. All cases were dealt with by summary trial instead of court martial.

While controversy rages in the U.S. over soldiers accused of murder, rape and mistreatment of prisoners, charges related to the careless guard of weapons charges were the only disciplinary proceedings disclosed in 2005 and 2006 up to the end of May.

LEFT IN PHONE TRAILER

In one case, a soldier was fined $400 for leaving his C7 rifle unattended in the telephone trailer of the Kandahar Airfield base. Another was slapped with a $1,400 levy for failing to properly secure his 9-mm pistol.

Nine of the incidents related to unauthorized discharge of a weapon, including the case of a soldier who was fined $800 for "failing to properly carry out safe weapon handling drills" as he prepared to go on patrol.

Another was fined $500 for a similar incident while on front-gate duty at the provincial reconstruction team site in Kandahar.

Retired Maj.-Gen. Lewis MacKenzie said it points to a "pretty spotless" record for Canadian troops in Afghanistan that no other disciplinary breaches were listed.

'SEEN TO BE DONE'

But he noted that lax handling of weapons is considered serious because it could potentially put arms in enemy hands or lead to injury or death among friendly troops.

"That's a life-and-death type of possible consequence, and as a result a message has to be sent," MacKenzie said. "We have a saying in the military that discipline has to be seen to be done."

The military has "zero tolerance" for unsafe handling of weapons by privates up to generals, and fines vary according to individual circumstances, the soldier's rank and whether it is a first or subsequent offence, he said

Well.... I don't see a problem here. Do you?

I think it's brilliant that in 18 months all the media could drum up is a few weapons charges.  Well done, troops.  It's a tribute to the professionalism of our soldiers, IMO.

T

So is the press trying to tie NDs to rape and murder?  Kind of disgusting, really...maybe they can start reporting on soldiers not tucking bootlaces in next.  You know, you could murder someone with a bootlace, especially if you're an "evil American."  ::)

So typical. They try to link totally unconnected issues. Look at what they say:

While controversy rages in the U.S. over soldiers accused of murder, rape and mistreatment of prisoners,

These charges, IMHO, are all in Iraq, to start with. They have nothing to do with US forces in Afghanistan, and therefore doubly nothing to do with Canadian troops in Afghanistan. Second, what is the point here? Is there a sly suggestion that we are hiding offences, and instead just releasing reports of minor things like NDs?

Do these people never give up?

Cheers

....and? I'm sure a lot of traffic tickets were given out in Edmonton over the last 18 months as well...

Ah, fond memories.  The only time I wound up doing the Hatless Dance infront of the OC was for insecure weapon. 'Course the other side of that coin is that the only thing that kept me from doing it a lot more often was some very good (and occasionally very understanding) sgts and WOs.

I agree.  It's a credit to the ladies and  gentlemen of the PPCLI that this is the worst dirt the press can dig up on them, to their bitter disappointment I'm sure. I'm rather glad that the "military expert" the journalist turned to for additional information was one of the few that we can count on for a 'soldier's answer', as opposed to others (who shall remain nameless) that have gotten far too good at the politician's answer.

This is my rough of what I'm writing to the canoe editors.

Forgive me for sounding just a little sarcastic, but does the reporter concerned here have nothing better or more important to talk about?  I am also trying to figure out the co-relation between 14 lapses in discipline of some of our soldiers and alleged FELONIES by soldiers of another military in another area of operations.  "...While controversy rages in the U.S. over soldiers accused of murder, rape and mistreatment of prisoners, charges related to the careless guard of weapons charges were the only disciplinary proceedings disclosed in 2005 and 2006 up to the end of May. ..."  Is she trying to imply that something must have been left out?  Sounds an awful lot like that to me, and worse, she's trying to compare disciplinary lapses in our soldiers with major indictable offences allegedly committed by soldiers of another military.
    To conclude, if your reporter and editors think that this is so newsworthy, why haven't they elected to go ahead an publish the proceedings of all the summary trials and courts martial that have convened over the same time frame in Canada and done a comparison in that way - willing to bet that statistically speaking, the trials were fewer abroad than they were here. 

Signed by me of course.

Questions, queries or rude comments?

MM

Slow news day, no doubt. Those darn trigger happy canadians! ;)

So is the press trying to tie NDs to rape and murder?  Kind of disgusting, really...maybe

Hey Michael

When I read this story it came across as a sort of pat on the back.
Where as in other cases soldiers are being charged with rape and murder, OUR soldiers biggest black marks are leaving weapons unattended or having NDs. While serious offenses on their own they pale in comparison to murder and rape wouldn't you agree?

I don't see it as digging up dirt as a case of it could be (much) worse.

Actually, I saw it as the reporter feeding into the whole "Let's make Canada firearm free" stupidity. I can only see the letters to the editor screaming about how our own troops can't keep their weapons secure or handle them properly, let alone all the civilians out there who are holding away their Evil Black Rifle/Pistol until they snap and go shoot up a bunch of female students. Just another brick in the wall is what I see.

Either way, poor weapon handling is poor weapon handling.

These charges, IMHO, are all in Iraq, to start with. They have nothing to do with US forces in Afghanistan, and therefore doubly nothing to do with Canadian troops in Afghanistan. Second, what is the point here? Is there a sly suggestion that we are hiding offences, and instead just releasing reports of minor things like NDs?

Do these people never give up?

+1

Lost_Warrior said:
I guess the condom ... lost  sensation.. 

It seems like they had to pay for it as well.  Do they take Canadian Tire money?

Uh oh,

Canadian occupational soldiers are said to be carelessly leaving their weapons around in order to lure small Afghani children to use them against eachother. Offical reports from Taliban sources state that Canadians are purposly doing so to incite violence and hatred among the community.

"The evil facist infidels are here to opress us." Says an unbiased ex-member of the Al Queda, who wishes to remain anonymous to keep his identity secret from the Canadian Forces Intellegence Units. "There's no where safe with them around. Toting their guns, trying to impose their radical beleifs upon us."

Soldiers are often seen handing out candy to children, intimidating them at the same time with their 5.56 C-7 Diemaco pistols slung over their shoulders; often riding on top of their flat topped super LAV-III death machines. The candy itself is becoming dangerous to the locals; many dentists and other medical personall within villages and towns citing an increase in cavities and chipped teeth (from hard candies).

Some Afghani officials are reporting ear aches and disturbed sleep from the loud vehicles and gunshots. Most say that guns are making loud noises, and that soldiers are shooting them for no reason. The Canadian Bison MBT(Main Battle Tanks) are said to keep civilians up all night with their constant roaring and grinding noises. Already three people have been submitted to clinics for extreme cases of insomnia. The Canadian Forces have made no comments or have done anything address this issue, saying that their rebuilding will require some minimal discomfort among Afghanistan citizens if there is progress to be made.

"Civil Rights groups within Afghanistan are fighting to rid our people of this problem." Our previous source says, pointing out several engagements with the Canadian Forces were often unprovoked and that the victims in the Canadians attack are usually members of these civil groups; which often carry long farming and hunting tools that otherwise mean no harm. Canadian soldiers are often seen inside their attack vehicles using sophisticated and very expensive personal IR equipment to catch these civil groups out in the open, farming and chatting with other activists. Once spotted, the soldiers open up with their massive 25mm explosive cannons and large C8 machine guns. "They hope to break out spirit, and drive us out so they can claim their superiority over the Afghani people; hoping to be seen as knights in shining armor."

Professionals and anonymous sources are often stating that Canadian soldiers are often frustrated, and prone to anger; mostly due to the lack of funding and equipment. Firefights and engagements are often caused by the over-aggression and eagerness among soldiers to go and fight an 'unflagged' enemy; often resulting in killing hunters and hundreds of innocents.

;)

I've always felt satire was the highest form of human expression; thanks for proving me right SigOpDraco. ;D

Just my view on how.......informed and unbiased our Canadian news agencies can be.

This fine article shows more of a desperation for dirt than anything else.

medicineman said:
This is my rough of what I'm writing to the canoe editors.
I am also trying to figure out the co-relation between 14 lapses in discipline of some of our soldiers and alleged FELONIES by soldiers of another military in another area of operations.   Is she trying to imply that something must have been left out?  Sounds an awful lot like that to me, and worse, she's trying to compare disciplinary lapses in our soldiers with major indictable offences allegedly committed by soldiers of another military.

Yeah!  You tell 'em.
If national defence were up to the media, it would not be long before their reports would be "The New Taliban Government in Canada: An improvement or not?" :-

EDIT
Tried to fix your quote box but......so I tried too Bruce...OK now

Looks like the media is looking for every scrap it can find to discredit the CF and those making the sacrifices, while they sit safely at the office typing up this rubbish. How pathetic.  ::)

Back