• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

Thanks mdh,
Actually, I'm in the process of finding a tutor at the moment.
I will check out the links on the CFAT page also.
I know I have it in me, when I was in HS, if I practiced enough, I would success. Just need to give myself that exta push for math and all will be well.
There is not way I'm letting myself fail  :)
Cheers.
Going for a run!

I was also in the same boat as you. I'm a very smart person but math is my extreme weak point.

That said, I brushed up on my basic math skills (multiplication, division, fractions, decimals and variations of each) for a few minutes each night before the CFAT and in the end, posted higher than I ever expected; above the officer candidate mark (according to the career counselor).

While there were a few tricky questions, many of them were basic logic tricks where it doesn't require you to actually figure out the answer because it's so obvious which one is right, you just need to interpret the wording of the question correctly.

I found that doing the "Graduate Recruitment Test" for the government helped a lot! It felt much more difficult and longer. I suggest signing up to do that test to practice the CFAT  >:D

So I just did the "Graduate Recruitment Test" and scored 36/40 with all my errors coming in the series questions.  I think my biggest problem is that I have completed a minor in Mathematics and I am not sure what kinds of operations are going to looked for.  I can effectively rule out calculus and linear algebra at the same time, I guess I under thought recursion series questions involving powers

(patterns like x2-1, +1)

What I would like to know (if possible) is what is the highest complexity operator I should expect to see in the series recognition questions, does it plateau at powers or can I expect exponential series of the form

ana(n-1)

Thanks.

squeezboks said:
So I just did the "Graduate Recruitment Test" and scored 36/40 with all my errors coming in the series questions.  I think my biggest problem is that I have completed a minor in Mathematics and I am not sure what kinds of operations are going to looked for.  I can effectively rule out calculus and linear algebra at the same time, I guess I under thought recursion series questions involving powers

(patterns like x2-1, +1)

What I would like to know (if possible) is what is the highest complexity operator I should expect to see in the series recognition questions, does it plateau at powers or can I expect exponential series of the form

ana(n-1)

Thanks.

Are you applying for space rocket technician ?

Biosciences, lol.

Basically, what is the highest level math I should expect to see?  People seem to say Grade 10/Grade 11/Highschool/Common Sense.

I can't remember what I did in Highschool...

Granted.

I am under the impression that Bioscience is a competitive trade so anything to get me an edge is what I am looking for, CFAT being one of them.  Thanks for the info, I won't worry about the math, should be straight forward then.

Jesus Wept.  Long division, multiplication of fractions, all Grade 10 math. Problem solving is one portion of the test there is also Verbal Skills and Spatial Ability.

Thank you for reiterating that it's not just a math test, kincanucks.
I just did my CFAT yesterday!

However in regards to the math portion:
As other people have posted, some of us have been out of high school longer. And what some of us may remember as "grade 10" math might be different depending on the curriculum. And personally I don't know if there are or what the standards for high school education comparability are in Canada. I do know that when I went through high school 1999-2002, in Alberta, that the math curriculum changed. And was termed “Applied” and “Pure” Math. And an even more stark comparison is that my mom, who did well in high school in the 1970s thinks she didn't see math that hard when she went through high school when I did grade 10.  I graduated in the “Pure” stream.

The only thing I noticed was that with the CFAT mathematical side was doing it fast, you either derive the answer quickly, correctly and on the first time or not. Time management skills are what's key there. So go speed test yourself more than anything if you're a little rusty on doing time oriented tests.

I reviewed my study guide for pure math 10 and in comparison the mathematical difficulty of the CFAT  seem easier. I realize that's subjective response, but I don't want get detailed as I don't want to step out of line. As others have already posted, Math.com, is a help. That's about the most difficult math to expect I found. Knowing pure math 10(and including the harder algebra) is NOT necessary. I guess I gave my brain a work out for fun.

CDN Aviator said:
This thread makes baby Jesus cry..........

Why? People are just looking for information that will help them with their preparation. Last I checked that is what this particular section of the forums is for.

Sweet merciful crap, if it bothers the baby Jeebus that much then he needs a massage, cause he is clearly wound up tighter than a... never mind.

....Crying in the womb.

I think that a person asking about the CFAT, and can't read what has been posted already in the way of advice and links to Practice Tests, then that person probably is too dumb to join in the first place.  Jeese!  If we have to lead everyone by the hand and mullycoddle them, then why don't we just do away with the whole testing procedure altogether?  What would we need intelligent, literate, and intuitive people for?  We could hire a whole bunch of sheeple and put them in bright scarlet uniforms to parade up and down Yonge Street and stand on Parliament Hill. 

squeezboks said:
Why? People are just looking for information that will help them with their preparation.

The maybe they should read the bloody thread. How many more f'ing times must it be repeated that it is grade 10 math ?

squeezboks said:
Why? People are just looking for information that will help them with their preparation. Last I checked that is what this particular section of the forums is for.

Sweet merciful crap, if it bothers the baby Jeebus that much then he needs a massage, cause he is clearly wound up tighter than a... never mind.

Yes looking for the same information that has been posted a hundred freaking times in several different threads.  It is an aptitude test broken into three parts: verbal, spatial, and problem solving and it is not that hard.  If you don't meet the cutoff score for whatever you are applying for then that is life.  Find something else to do.

And as stated, what the does grade 10 math entail?

I can't remember what I did in Grade 10, I could go look up the curriculum and spend a bunch of time looking through it, or I could come here and ask a simple question.  For the record, I didn't start a new thread which would seem the greater offence.

Secondly, I read through the bulk of this thread and threads related to it and found only piecemeal information with regards to the math component.  I then took the recommended aptitude tests and found areas of weakness.  Because these tests are NOT the CFAT, I wanted to determine if these particular areas of weakness needed to be addressed or if, in fact, they were above what was required for the CFAT.

I felt it was a legitimate concern because I am applying for a competitive trade and it seems apparent that scoring high on your CFAT makes you a more competitive applicant in the pool.

Constantly stating "It's simple don't worry about it" does not answer the question.  A simple statement of "Yes, you will need to know powers" or "No you won't need to know powers" does. It takes alot less effort.  If you don't know, why bother replying? Furthermore, why belittle people who have a clear interest in the forces, which these forums purport to present information on and who have demonstrated that they have already done the prerequisite research to determine if a) their question has been answered previously or b) there is enough related information to draw an informed conclusion.

Quit being cantankerous.

squeezboks said:
And as stated, what the does grade 10 math entail?

Oh for the love of god.......
I can't remember what I did in Grade 10,

Neither can i but i managed to pass the CFAT 3 times since then......

You and a few others are keeping yourselves up at night overthinking things. You got your answer now quit spinning yourself up into a frenzy.

squeezboks said:
Constantly stating "It's simple don't worry about it" does not answer the question.  A simple statement of "Yes, you will need to know powers" or "No you won't need to know powers" does. It takes alot less effort.

You're not allowed to disclose information about the CFAT.

Can I ammend that ".......Crying in the womb" to ...."Sweet Jesus crying in the immaculate conception"?

It seems to me that the only people wound up are those with post-counts over 1000.

I am not particularly concerned or frenzied, it was a simple question (more out of curiousity than concern) and could have been answered simply but apparently thats too hard to do around here.

Enjoy the weekend.  ::)

Back