• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

When I finished my CFAT I was told my results would take up to 5 days to process and let me know, 2 weeks later (yesterday) I call the recruiting centre to follow up and the recruiter tells me I passed and qualified for my trade (med assist reserve), however I never received an email saying so, thoughts...? How did you find out you passed and qualified? I only received a letter with an attachment named 'Acceptance' informing me that I'd completed the first step.

Don't over think this, you passed and met the standard for the trade you wish to join. Good day.

Also, with regards to your profile you have no rank, you are currently an applicant, not a recruit.

LightFighter said:
Also, with regards to your profile you have no rank, you are currently an applicant, not a recruit.

JMei001, you will become a Recruit the day you are sworn in.

LightFighter said:

JMei001 said:
I'm confused, when did I say I was a recruit??

http://milnet.ca/forums/members/96600

Ya, light fighter said that, I never did, just asked why I didn't receive an email stating I qualified for my trade but a recruiter over the phone said so, just overthinking because this is something that means a lot to me!

JMei001 said:
Ya, light fighter said that, I never did,

Your Profile says that,

http://milnet.ca/forums/members/96600

Oh I see, I'll change that, didn't realize!! What are your thoughts about my post other than that though?! How did you find out about your CFAT results?

JMei001 said:
Oh I see, I'll change that, didn't realize!! What are your thoughts about my post other than that though?! How did you find out about your CFAT results?

You've asked this in another thread already and have gotten answers, which is to contact your CFRC.

CFAT scores are no longer relevant. As of a few weeks ago, the recruiting process, in all its wisdom, has decided that in the interest of signing up numbers, the CFAT score is no longer relevant but yet it will be administered. The way it works, lets say you have a degree and want to be an Officer in X regiment. You come in, write your name with a crayon and answer one question - wrong for that matter. The recruiter will then look at your failed CFAT, see that you have a degree and say "welcome to X regiment".

KRG001 said:
CFAT scores are no longer relevant. As of a few weeks ago, the recruiting process, in all its wisdom, has decided that in the interest of signing up numbers, the CFAT score is no longer relevant but yet it will be administered. The way it works, lets say you have a degree and want to be an Officer in X regiment. You come in, write your name with a crayon and answer one question - wrong for that matter. The recruiter will then look at your failed CFAT, see that you have a degree and say "welcome to X regiment".

No, not entirely.

Your CFAT score (as abysmal as it may be) is used in the interview and selection processes as a factor of COMPETITIVENESS against other applicants. Given limited positions and more applicants, you may still find yourself off the short list.

Moral of the story - your choice to use crayons may still disqualify you. Feel free to eat them though, if it helps force you to use magic markers instead.

CFAT is only disregarded if (a) you're a skilled NCM applicant - that is, you have a diploma or certification relevant to your selected military occupation or (b) you're a DEO with one of the preferred degrees for your selected occupation.

If you're an unskilled applicant or ROTP applicant, CFAT is still used to qualify you for occupational choices.

Hi all,

I'm not sure if the above post is serious or not. However, based upon my interactions with agents at my local CFRC, my personal research on army.ca, my personal research on CAF subreddit, and my personal research on other various internet sites, the CFAT score is never disregarded.

It was under my impression that both the CFAT and the TSD (Canadian Forces Trait Self Descriptive Personality Inventory Test) scores were both combined under different weights to produce an overall score in order to determine an applicant's eligibility for their selected trade(s).

Once deemed eligible for their selected trade(s), they would then proceed along in the application process. Now, during the interview, the applicant would also be scored based upon their relevant work experiences to their trade, their education, their leadership experiences, etc. I know this because I saw my interviewing officer taking notes on my responses and then scoring me in each category without even attempting to hide the fact that he was scoring me.

The final overall score for applicants on the competition list, known formerly as the merit list, would be comprised of the CFAT, the TSD, and the interview (where I assume each would be given a different weighting). Please keep in mind, this is for the average applicant where there are no other further tests required such as in the case of pilots.

Regards,
wnhan

wnhan said:
Hi all,

I'm not sure if the above post is serious or not. However, based upon my interactions with agents at my local CFRC, my personal research on army.ca, my personal research on CAF subreddit, and my personal research on other various internet sites, the CFAT score is never disregarded.

It was under my impression that both the CFAT and the TSD (Canadian Forces Trait Self Descriptive Personality Inventory Test) scores were both combined under different weights to produce an overall score in order to determine an applicant's eligibility for their selected trade(s).

Once deemed eligible for their selected trade(s), they would then proceed along in the application process. Now, during the interview, the applicant would also be scored based upon their relevant work experiences to their trade, their education, their leadership experiences, etc. I know this because I saw my interviewing officer taking notes on my responses and then scoring me in each category without even attempting to hide the fact that he was scoring me.

The final overall score for applicants on the competition list, known formerly as the merit list, would be comprised of the CFAT, the TSD, and the interview (where I assume each would be given a different weighting). Please keep in mind, this is for the average applicant where there are no other further tests required such as in the case of pilots.

Regards,
wnhan
The post is not wrong. While the deo candidates do not have to pass the cfat to move onto selection, their scores are still taken into consideration and are still weighted the same. This is new as of maybe 4 weeks.

In saying this, if you do not pass the cfat, do not expect to be competitive for an offer at all.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Looking at the policy now, so this is the way it is.

All Regular Force CAF applicants are still required to write the CFAT test, even though it is not to be used for determining eligibility to some entry plans, the CFAT as a scoring criteria will continue to be used on the selection boards; and this could have an impact on the applicant's competitiveness.

In other words: The CFAT is not disregarded.  The CFAT continues to be combined with the TSD and Interview to provide an overall score to be used during the selection process.

The CFAT is not required to be "passed" for: (a) Regular Force DEO applicants; (b) Regular Force NCM applicants possessing diplomas that meet the requirements for the occupation as per NCM STEP requirements (i.e. semi-skilled applicants); (c) Regular Force NCM Skilled applicants.

While the above don't need to meet the minimum cut off score to move forward in the process, it is still a "competition".

Just wondering if TSD stands for Time, Speed Distance? I dont remember doing this test during the CFAT testing. It was followed by some psychological, computer test/ questionnaire. I did come across various Time/Speed/Distance calculation problem sets at Aircrew Selection however.

Roger123 said:
Just wondering if TSD stands for Time, Speed Distance?

Canadian Forces Trait Self Descriptive Personality Inventory 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/109056.0
3 pages.

Seems I missed part of something that I need to clear up.

Has there been a substantial change with the CFAT used WRT PRes recruiting?

To some degree, yes.
"Canadian Army PRes, Naval and RCAF Reserve Officers (DEO only) and foreign skilled applicants to the PRes are not required to write the CFAT upon enrolment.  If these members want to OT or CT they will be required to write the CFAT and that score will be used in their assessment.  RESO applicants will be required to meet the minimum CFAT cut-off."

While this may upset some, keep in mind what the CFAT is used to determine.  It is used to determine the likelihood that someone is going to pass their DP1 training.  If someone already has a degree or diploma in the category in which they are going to work than they have already passed their "DP1".  The CFAT is not used to determine if someone would be a good fit into the CAF, this is what the TSD and Interview are for.

Further the statement is that they're not required to write, it doesn't mean that they can't write it.  Reserve Units are being given control of their own recruiting, in many cases this has already happened, and for the ones that it hasn't it will happen soon.  CFRCs will continue to process the files and do medicals; but ultimately it's up to the PRes Units to decide who will join.  So in the point above of an applicant answering one question (wrong) in crayon, is up to the CO of the unit as to whether they will enroll that individual.  I don't know of many CO's that would indeed enroll that person.

Hi,

I understand that the competitiveness of CFAT scores are relative to the scores of other applicants for the same trade. However, I was never given any indication of how well I scored during my application process. Based upon other applicants' knowledge and/or experiences, I was just wondering if someone could tell me if I scored "good/average/bad" on a very broad and generic level. I am applying for DEO as a Construction Engineering Officer.

Below, I have listed the MINIMUM scores which I believe I achieved in each section of the CFAT with great conservatism. I made notes immediately after finishing each section of the CFAT in order to estimate my own performance. These scores are reflective of the chance that I answered each question with 95% accuracy as I was confident in answering these questions. For example, for the "spatial" section I only answered 5 questions "correctly" based upon my opinion that my chosen answer was 95% correct. Therefore, out of a total of 15 questions for the "spatial" section, I had to guess the remaining 10 questions.

Verbal - 11/15
Spatial - 5/15
Math - 24/30
Minimum Total Score - 40/60

Now, since each question had 4 options in which to select an answer, it must follow that if you guessed the answers at random, you had a 25% chance of guessing the answer correctly. As such, I have listed below the MOST LIKELY score that I received for the CFAT.

Verbal - 12/15 (forced to guess the answer of 4 questions)
Spatial - 7/15 (forced to guess the answer of 10 questions)
Math - 25/30 (forced to guess the answer of 6 questions)
Most Likely Total Score - 44/60

Again, I'm just looking for some general answers concerning my CFAT performance although I understand that my performance is relative to those of others. I also asked to re-write the CFAT again as I did not properly prepare for the spatial section and the responding agent at the local CFRC said that I did not perform low enough to conduct a re-write.

Kindest regards,
wnhan

Back