• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

futuresoldier101 said:
i thought this forum was for current past and future CF members, he was telling people that they couldn't pass when he hadn't even tried it.

Thought and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee around here.  This forum is for anyone with an interest in the CF and what it stands for.

Considering the wide range of personality types needed in the Forces, I wouldn't discourage anybody who's determined to be part of the CF, only because they failed a test.

Studying in pedagogy, the very first thing we learn is that there are many intelligences. Not just 2 or 3, but 8, according to Howard E. Gardner. It is my opinion that all kinds of intelligence are useful to the Forces, in one trade or another. The thing is some of those intelligence types are very difficult to measure in a test. So, really, the fact the some have difficulties with the test while others thought it was a walk in the park means (for the most part) that the later possess an intelligence that is easier to test.

MrsAlex said:
Considering the wide range of personality types needed in the Forces, I wouldn't discourage anybody who's determined to be part of the CF, only because they failed a test.

Studying in pedagogy, the very first thing we learn is that there are many intelligences. Not just 2 or 3, but 8, according to Howard E. Gardner. It is my opinion that all kinds of intelligence are useful to the Forces, in one trade or another. The thing is some of those intelligence types are very difficult to measure in a test. So, really, the fact the some have difficulties with the test while others thought it was a walk in the park means (for the most part) that the later possess an intelligence that is easier to test.

While that is your opinion and may be true, the use of the CFAT as an initial requirement has long standing precedence and is working for us. We put many people in potentially dangerous situations and require people to conform to a fairly rigid instructional construct in most of our early training - while there may be eight types of "intelligence", we do not have the time, nor the resources, to develop instructors capable of managing eight variations on the instructional approach within the scope of our training time limitations. Everyone may have a right as a citizen to apply to serve in the CF - at no time is that extended to an expectation that the CF will adjust to every type of trainee requirement just to fulfill their dreams.  This is the Army*, not the Make-a-Wish foundation.

* and Navy and Air Force

Oh, I completely agree with you! My post wasn't meant to be a criticism, and I'm sorry if it has appeared as such.

I was merely pointing out that a failure to a test did not mean a person isn't fit for the CF, and therefore that person shouldn't give up if she/he is determined to have a military career.

lol I'm gonna sound like a complete bootlicker, but I also agree with you! Someone who repeatedly fails to a the test simply can't be integrated in the CF. But someone who has had difficulties at a first attempt and fails, can very well get ready for a second attempt and succeed. The idea is not for that person to cry "I'm misunderstood, boo-oo  :crybaby:" but to turn it around and realize what are his strengths and weaknesses and ask himself "alright, now how can I work that around?" And thus, show determination, resourcefulness and a capacity to adaptation.

My whole point about different types of intelligence was to explain how two equally fit for CF candidates could respond so differently to the same test. That's all.  :)

My apologizes if questions of this nature have been asked before. A quick google search and search of this forum didn't find the answers I was looking for.

I have a few questions about training (BMQ) as a Reservist.

1) What is the duration of BMQ for a reservist? I've heard 8 weeks, but in a few articles I found it said 22 days.

2) For the reserve BMQ, are we allowed to go home on weekends?

3) I'm a vegetarian (not for ethical reasons but because red meats make me violently ill), will there be food available for me to eat?

4) I'm a student and will be studying at McGill University (in Montreal) next year, though I live in and will travel back to Winnipeg in the summers. Is it possible to go back and forth with the Reserves?

Thanks.

Ingmundar said:

BMQ for reservists is mostly done on weekends.

will there be food available for me to eat? 

No, sorry, we allow people to starve. Just kidding, yes you will have food to eat.

4) I'm a student and will be studying at McGill University (in Montreal) next year, though I live in and will travel back to Winnipeg in the summers. Is it possible to go back and forth with the Reserves?

The you might want to join the reserves in Montreal as reserve training happens (usualy) one night per week and some weekends. More training takes place during the summers (like trades training).

Ingmundar said:
1) What is the duration of BMQ for a reservist? I've heard 8 weeks, but in a few articles I found it said 22 days.

It may/will vary greatly.
Some folks get the weekend BMQ's, some get the full time deal. (Mine was 3 1/2 weeks).
You might/or might not get a lot of notice regarding your course length.

Ingmundar said:

I did BMQ/SQ one right after the other over about 7 weeks.
We got 3 (IIRC) 48-hour passes during the 7 weeks.
YMMV.

Ingmundar said:
3) I'm a vegetarian (not for ethical reasons but because red meats make me violently ill), will there be food available for me to eat?

Yup. In the dining hall and field.

Ingmundar said:

Wow, that sounds like a pain in the ass.
A recruiter should be able to give you some guidance on that one.

Ingmundar said:

No problem...I accept payment in sandwiches.

Ingmundar said:
My apologizes if questions of this nature have been asked before. A quick google search and search of this forum didn't find the answers I was looking for.

I have a few questions about training (BMQ) as a Reservist.

Thanks.
During the summer, there may be courses (including reserve BMQ, etc) that you may elect to take. You basically may go "full time" for a period during the summertime, and continue "part time" service throughout the year. Your "part time" service may require one night a week, one weekend a month with the reserve unit you are enrolled in.

1) Like people already stated there's a couple ways of doing BMQ. There are usually weekend courses running (about 3 months long), or full time courses during the summer (4 weeks long), some areas also have Co-op courses where you're on course Monday to Friday from 1300-1800 and some weekends.

2) Whether or not you get weekends off is completely up to your course staff and depends on how well your course is doing. I know some course got Friday evening to Sunday evening off, and some that had one weekend off but they still had to sleep in barracks.

3) Yes, just inform your course staff and they will make sure that there's meal options available for you.

4) I would definitely look into joining the Reserves in Montreal instead of Winnipeg. Otherwise you won't be able to do 80% of the yearly training.

I was looking for a site to practice the aptitude test and came across this link  http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/preparing_for_aptitude_test_en.pdf

It is off the forces website so I know it must be accurate but im wondering if it is out of date? What do you think? Does anyone know of any others that may be more up to date? I think that one is from 08. 

Thanks

PREPARING FOR YOUR CANADIAN FORCES APTITUDE TEST (CFAT)
CFRC TORONTO
Updated 20 Oct 08

"In order to help you prepare for the CFAT, below are several internet websites that you can access. It is highly recommended that you consider looking at some of these sites. If you were unsuccessful on your first attempt you must wait three (3) months to re-write. If you are unsuccessful a second time you will require significant academic upgrading before you can attempt the test a third time.

The CFAT is similar but not identical to many internet sites that offer free Aptitude/IQ. Below are some examples:

www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=12
www.intelligencetest.com
www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/pract-test-examn-pract/gct2-ecg2-pract-i-eng.htm
www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/index-eng.htm

In addition, you could conduct an internet search using the following keywords:

Aptitude test
Practice aptitude test
Practice IQ test
Aptitude test strategy

You may also want to refresh your math skills by visiting www.math.com and/or borrowing a General Education Diploma (GED) study book from your local library.

A focus on Verbal Skills, Spatial Ability, and Problem Solving throughout your preparation would be in your best interest.

Work hard and good luck."

Its not really something that is out of date or not.  Can't really go into details as you sign a nondisclosure agreement.

Stacked said:
The CFAT is a lot harder.

I agree here, although nobody can tell you exactly what is on the test as it is prohibited it is best to prepare in all areas to the best of your ability. The recruiter did tell me that this is the best test to prepare for the cfat http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/pract-test-examn-pract/gct2-ecg2-pratc-i-eng.htm    (I relinked because the link i clicked on above gave me a http error =/)

But anyways i practiced on the above linked test and i found it very helpful, and kind of gives you a scope of what you should be studying on more, because as said before these tests do help but the cfat can be much more difficult.

Best of luck,

John

Stacked said:
The CFAT is a lot harder.

I will second Stacked point...    :nod:

It really is a TEST...  You will need to STUDY!
Additionally, you will need to manage your time for each section appropriately.

The practice tests are just samples of what you can expect, not the level of difficulty.

Don't go into the test thinking you will see simple questions like "SAD People are: (A) honest (B) clever (C) unhappy (D) Canuck Fans"

Use that more as a broad example:  You see a word, need to know it's definition, and then choose the appropriate answer.

Good Luck, relax, and get a good night sleep before hand.

The format is identical to the practice tests though. Yes the difficulty is much increased.

As for the non-disclosure. That is more to say you cannot tell someone "Okay, so there was word 'X' on the test so make sure you look it up."

You will see words you have never heard of. There will be problem solving questions that you honestly can't figure out. THAT IS OKAY! Just try to do it all to the best of your ability.

I'm in pretty much the same boat (McGill student who is away for summers) and from what I understand you can "switch" reserves for periods of time. I might be wrong though, I'm joining up this September too.

I have my CFAT coming up next week and for what it's worth my recruiter made sure to stress that just because I'm a grad student I shouldn't take it lightly. He said (as others here have) that the real test is quite  a bit harder than the practice and sometimes has questions that feel out of left field. While you don't really need to memorize much, definitely study.

Perhaps a little off topic, but judging by the reactions of some of my fellow test-mates during the test it might be helpful. Don't panic during the test if you do not know an answer! While you have enough time to answer all the questions, you don't have enough to obsess over questions you don't know the answers to.

It is perfectly understandable why many people do not know the answers to every question - they are evaluating a spectrum of people from grade 10 to Doctorates (I would assume). Relax, review, and don't be late.

Trick said:
I have my CFAT coming up next week and for what it's worth my recruiter made sure to stress that just because I'm a grad student I shouldn't take it lightly. He said (as others here have) that the real test is quite  a bit harder than the practice and sometimes has questions that feel out of left field. While you don't really need to memorize much, definitely study.

My suggestion is pick up a GED book from chapters they are only like 20 bucks I think. I'm a University student who graduated and has taken the CFAT however because we cannot talk about it my suggestion is this... Remember we went to University... we learned University math, english etc... the CFAT is grade 10 big difference so get that book and look it over along with read what to expect because it will shock you.

Back