• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

A waiver, in this context, is essentially a request submitted on your behalf to retest on the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT). Since you did not meet the standard, from what you are saying, you may be eligible for a retest in three months from your first attempt. If a waiver is being submitted, you must have requested a retest.

I advise that you review the practice tests and revisit grad 10 academic math, as this seems to be the pitfall of many.

I recently found out that I am medically unfit for the Infantry. I have a V4 vision. I am now currently waiting to re-write the aptitude test in hopes of getting into another trade in the Regular force and/or improving the competitiveness of my application should I choose to get lasik eye surgery (I am not competitive enough for Regular force Infantry based off of my CFAT scores).

I last wrote the CFAT when I was 17 and now I'm 20. I understand that we have to wait three months before we can try again, but there is a new protocol that the military is using now, so I'm told. The recruiter said I will be waiting "a long time" before I get the opportunity to re-write, but I don't know what that means. I asked but didn't get a straight answer, so I assume quiet a few months, but that's okay, I understand there are others ahead of me.

When the time comes, I was told that I will receive a call from the recruiting center asking me what I've done to improve my chances of scoring higher on the CFAT. I've got that part covered. I had taken more complicated math courses in high school and I have taken a University course; and meanwhile I have been doing practice questions based off the sheets that the recruiter gave me.

I was hoping to get a response from someone on this forum who has experienced this before. How long of a wait should I expect?

jaysfan17 said:
The recruiter said I will be waiting "a long time" before I get the opportunity to re-write, but I don't know what that means.

jaysfan17 said:
How long of a wait should I expect?

In addition to what Recruiting told you, you may wish to check the FAQ:

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ
http://army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0

As I understand it, in some places the process has switched where an applicant does the CFAT then is called back for an interview if he/she has done well enough.

I've read people stating that their CFAT scores did not qualify them for their desired trades but that they were given other options during the interview. How does this work if the process in my area is to schedule an interview after the CFAT?

If I don't score high enough for my desired trades will I be offered other trades via email or some other correspondence?

I hope someone understands my question.

You may find an answer in the FAQ:

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/23193.650.html

jaysfan17 said:
I recently found out that I am medically unfit for the Infantry. I have a V4 vision. I am now currently waiting to re-write the aptitude test in hopes of getting into another trade in the Regular force and/or improving the competitiveness of my application should I choose to get lasik eye surgery (I am not competitive enough for Regular force Infantry based off of my CFAT scores).

I last wrote the CFAT when I was 17 and now I'm 20. I understand that we have to wait three months before we can try again, but there is a new protocol that the military is using now, so I'm told. The recruiter said I will be waiting "a long time" before I get the opportunity to re-write, but I don't know what that means. I asked but didn't get a straight answer, so I assume quiet a few months, but that's okay, I understand there are others ahead of me.

When the time comes, I was told that I will receive a call from the recruiting center asking me what I've done to improve my chances of scoring higher on the CFAT. I've got that part covered. I had taken more complicated math courses in high school and I have taken a University course; and meanwhile I have been doing practice questions based off the sheets that the recruiter gave me.

I was hoping to get a response from someone on this forum who has experienced this before. How long of a wait should I expect?

If you don't fair so well the first time around, you can request a "re-write" of the CFAT, 3 months after taking the test the first time.  You will have to demonstrate what you have done to be better prepared the 2nd time around.  They "might" want a simple letter outlining basically what you have stated above.  Waiting time for approval to re-write can range anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months.  It all depends on your CFRC.

methionine said:
As I understand it, in some places the process has switched where an applicant does the CFAT then is called back for an interview if he/she has done well enough.

I've read people stating that their CFAT scores did not qualify them for their desired trades but that they were given other options during the interview. How does this work if the process in my area is to schedule an interview after the CFAT?

If I don't score high enough for my desired trades will I be offered other trades via email or some other correspondence?

I hope someone understands my question.

If your CFAT Score is not suitable for your occupation choices, you will be advised accordingly and during the counselling process, you will be advised on which occupations you are suitable for.

Upon completing the CFAT I was advised that I did not meet the requirements for my trade choice #1. However I met the "standard" for trade choice #2. The recruiter did allow me to rewrite the CFAT to give me the option to attempt another shot at my first choice trade. I declined and opted in for my second trade choice. That was my experiences with the entire CFAT.

Hi there,

I'm just wondering, do anyone know the scores that are required when you do the CFAT to obtain a position of: Infantry Soldier, Cook, Artillery crew. 

Let me know

Thank you

What difference does it make?

Stop obsessing about this before it drives you nuts.

If you stress yourself out or overthink it, you will likely do less well than you should.

Stop asking the same questions over and over before it drives us nuts.

There is a ton of information on this Site about CFAT and almost everything else. Read it before asking questions.

Are you going to do this at every step?

Relax. Enjoy life.

And good luck.

I have merged all of your previous CFAT questions - that you have been asking for over a year - into this thread.

I just got back from the recruiting center and I dropped off both my University transcripts and HS transcripts in hopes of re-writing my aptitude test. The recruiter there told me the wait will be 2-6 months which is not too bad.

Thanks again.

jaysfan17 said:
I just got back from the recruiting center and I dropped off both my University transcripts and HS transcripts in hopes of re-writing my aptitude test. The recruiter there told me the wait will be 2-6 months which is not too bad.

Thanks again.

It all depends on how "quickly" they wish to process the re-write.  About all you can do at the moment, is sit tight and wait for them to call you.  But give them a call every 30-45 days, just to check in.

So, yay, I made it in the Forces! As a reserve navcomm.

Not saying that's a bad career option, don't get me wrong, it's just not what I wish to see myself into for the long term.

Problem is, I contacted my recruiter to see what other MOCs I was qualified for and... the answer was "one;bos'un." :l

My question is, even though I did pass the CFAT, is it possible to take it again to score higher?

Also, is my limited choice due only to my CFAT score or can it also have to do with the fact that I do not yet have my High School diploma?

(I did search through the forums for answers to my questions but couldn't find what I looked for. Sorry if it has already been answered, feel free to delete my post and direct me to the proper thread if necessary)

You did apply to a reserve unit so likely you were only given the trades that you qualified for at that unit. I find it hard to believe that you would qualify for only NavComm or Bosun, seems that may be your only options for trades with spaces open.

So if I ask my regional regfor recruiter, he should be able to point me to a broader spectrum of trades available to me?

7Isleblue said:
So if I ask my regional regfor recruiter, he should be able to point me to a broader spectrum of trades available to me?

No.  As a Reservist, you will be restricted to the Trades that are offered in the unit you belong to.  You say you are a Naval Reservist, so you will be restricted to whatever Trades that Naval Reserve unit employs.

Interesting.

But still, is it possible to take the CFAT again even if I passed it?

Not really, unless you quit the Forces and try coming back in in a few years.

The posts below are correct: When you elect to join a reserve unit (of any type), you will be restricted in the trades you chose by, first the type of unit - it will have a specific subset of CF trades required for its type and not the others; and second by whichever one of those trades happens to have openings in their ranks at that unit at that particular moment.

I suspect that is what limited you to Navcom or Bosn only because if you qualify for Navcom, I know at least three other Naval reserve trades other than Bosn for which you would qualify.

If you wish for a broader choice, however, you can always go to your locality's closest recruiting centre and consult with the recruiters there and see if something that interest you more is available at another type (for example a reserve infantry unit) of local reserve unit then see about the possibility of VOT and transfer. 

Back